Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arapahoe Basin or Loveland - That is the Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So you're a strong intermediate skier who likes reasonably steep, but not too steep, off piste / ungroomed terrain. You are visiting Colorado in Feb and can spend one day at either A-Basin or Loveland..... what's is gonna be and why?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the conditions are the same in both resorts, then Loveland.

More of what you like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Another question for you on the same thing really, which other resorts nearby might be worth a visit. We're staying in Winter Park for 10 days and plan to have a couple of days elsewhere. Was thinking about Steamboat and A-Basin/Loveland. Any thoughts?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Intermediate and Winter Park?

Just about every resort in Colorado are more suitable than Winter Park. So it really doesn't matter...

I'd go for Steamboat if I were an intermediate. But I probably won't decide until after I ski WP for a couple days and got my ski ability reality checked.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steamboat's a trek from Winter Park. More accessible day trips to Summit County - Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek & Copper.

And don't worry, there's plenty of intermediate terrain in Winter Park.

You'll have a ball.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc - thanks for your concern but I'm not worried about the skiing at Winter Park, thats why I asked about A-Basin / Loveland.

I've skied Jackson Hole, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Chamonix, Zermatt and other resorts which are thought of as "expert" and never had any issues. Steep, ungroomed reds and blacks are no problem and I love moguls. That's the reason I picked Winter Park in the first place!

I don't suppose you could answer the actual question - A-Basin or Loveland for a day trip?

Mike Pow - Cheers for the info, it's noted and much appreciated.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A-Basin has a bit more history and character to it; both are simple, above-treeline, pure ski mountains. Neither is a "resort" with the amenities that term implies. I'd go with the Basin if you only have one day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I don't suppose you could answer the actual question - A-Basin or Loveland for a day trip?

Actually, I've skied both quite a bit.Very Happy

People who like WP like A-basin.

Loveland is lessor known than A-Basin. I like it, but I'm hard pressed to say it's any "better" than A-basin. I'll take either one on a given day depending on conditions. If all else being the same, I'd go to Loveland. It's cheaper, easier to get to, and less crowded. And just as good skiing.

Consensus amoungst the more advanced skiers is A-Basin has more radical terrain than Loveland. I can't say because that's not my forte. It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for either.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers guys, the areas sound quite similar so I guess I'll just wait and see which has the best conditions when I'm there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go to both. From Winter Park believe Loveland would be about an hour and Arapahoe Basin about 90 minutes drive time. They are not usually crowded and worth a few days each. Loveland was selling four-packs of discount lift tickets on their website. Arapahoe Basin may offer something similar. Loveland is easier to get to from Winter Park although, geographically they are only 10 kilometers apart if Route 6/Loveland Pass is open. However, if not due to snow, then the driving distance between them is about 3 times that to A-basin via Interstate 70 west through Eisenhower Tunnel, still not bad.
Loveland will really please intermediates with a huge expanse of easy open bowls. A-Basin has some great intermediate to advanced terrain, and a very significant pod of mogul trails called Pallavicini that rivals the Mary Jane trail pod at Winter Park.
Here is a trip report from last season: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1212&mode=headlines
PS: If you can only make time for one and are feeling ambitious the choice should be Arapahoe Basin. It's location and trails are more memorable. Pallavicini is nationally renowned among expert American skiers/snowboarders.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy