Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best solution for touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A mate is coming out for a weekend in January and wants to come ski touring with us. He's a boarder and we're all skiers. What's the best solution without spending a fortune? I was thinking he could hire some snow shoes or maybe those short skis I've seen snowboarders with?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobinch, depends where you're going. There are advantages to each method, briefly here's my disjointed take:

(1) Snowshoes: cheapest, you'll still sink in fresh snow although less than bootpacking and you'll need to rope up on any glaciated terrain. fine if walking on slightly compact snow although you'll mess up a skin track so you'll have to walk at the back. You'll be at the back anyway though. Have to carry them on your bag and they aren't great on steep hard snow. Watch out for the attachment type I had some once that kept falling off, ones with a snowboard binding type strap are much better.

(2) Approach skis: more expensive, have to carry them on your back work pretty much like skis although not as good at holding an edge on the traverse.

(3) Splitboard: most expensive, only need the one bit of kit, still not as good as touring skis but the closest you'll get, probably lose a bit of down performance.

If I don't sell my snowshoes you can borrow them for a pint or 2, got a split board now so don't really need them anymore.

Edit to add, there was a bit more discussion on approach skis in a thread recently. It was called something like to skin or bootpack.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, thanks for that. He's super fit so will be good for him to be at the back for once! Snowshoes sound like the ticket. Another question... Can you attach crampons to snowboard boots? I'm guessing they're too soft?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch, you can attach c1 crampons with straps for the toe and heel, fine on hard packed snow although I've not tried them on ice in my snowboard boots. I think the ones I borrowed were grivel g10s.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, thanks for that. Googled Grivel g10s and that's exactly what I've got! They work fine on my stiff hiking boots but didn't think they'd hold on a snowboard boot. Good news that they do.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly wrote:
...there was a bit more discussion on approach skis in a thread recently. It was called something like to skin or bootpack.

Here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1346820
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with everything Swirly said. I used MSR Denali Ascent snowshoes, which were very good but still limited by fundamentally being snowshoes! Snowshoeing in deep snow is seriously hard work. Now got a splitboard. Much better, but still not close to touring skis.

Re. crampons, I use my Grivel Airtech crampons with my snowboard boots without any problems, but I've known some people to have issues with the length/width of their boots (I'm only size UK8). Grivel do a wide version of the G10 which solves this problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MSR denalis ascent are very good, I have used them alot, they grip very well on hard snow and have massive great teeth so traversing is actually OK. In many spring like touring situations where the snow is hard they are just as effective as ski touring IMO. Once on your back i dont even notice them.

As swirly and stevemcd suggested, they are limited in deep snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, altis, stevomcd, norris, thanks for the advice guys.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy