Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

any seasoned drivers to France? Help please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm going to try and figure this out using mappy (unless you can suggest anything better) but it would be *really* helpful to have some first hand advice based on experience.

So, the plan is to drive from Potters Bar to Morillon, France hoping to leave at lunchtime(ish) on the Saturday before Christmas. Presuming reasonable road conditions, but alllowing for a couple of pitstops en route, how far could we reasonably get by say 7/8pm that evening and any suggestions of where to stop? I was going to trawl through the French Travelodge equivilent sites for something reasonably inexpensive.

I'm hoping we'll get the bulk of the driving done on Saturday but perhaps I'm being unrealistic?

Any advice/tips would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Tor
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The key detail is what time is your crossing on Saturday?

We live in Morillon (More or less... ok Riviere Enverse if you're splitting hairs) and usually do it in one day in a gas guzzling 4x4 fully laden including regular stops to let the dog have a walk..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you catch a ferry or tunnel between 6-7 am you should be there by 7/8 pm easy peasy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as marcellus said what time is your crossing? ,tunnel or boat? plus one hour time difference. Then add driving time at an average of 100 - 110 km per hour?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brock wrote:
as marcellus said what time is your crossing? ,tunnel or boat? plus one hour time difference. Then add driving time at an average of 100 - 110 km per hour?

Hi, I haven't yet booked the tunnel, but I'm hoping we'll get there around 2ish (will probably have to leave Potters Bar lat morning thinking about it) but can't leave first thing unfortunately.

tor
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fogliettaz wrote:
If you catch a ferry or tunnel between 6-7 am you should be there by 7/8 pm easy peasy.

we can't do the early start hence I thought we'd stop at 7/8 ish for the night as we've got children on board too.

Tor
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:

thanks Lizzard - is that better than mappy?

Tor
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus wrote:
The key detail is what time is your crossing on Saturday?

We live in Morillon (More or less... ok Riviere Enverse if you're splitting hairs) and usually do it in one day in a gas guzzling 4x4 fully laden including regular stops to let the dog have a walk..

probably about 2ish - how far do you think we could get by 7/8 ish?

Lucky you living there!

Tor
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:

Wow! Just seen this shows speed cameras too wink very handy.

Tor
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tor wrote:
Fogliettaz wrote:

we can't do the early start hence I thought we'd stop at 7/8 ish for the night as we've got children on board too.

Tor
You should be aiming for at least Dijon. Leaving about an easy 4 hours from there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tor, You're not going to get that far, don't forget you'll lose an hour If you leave Calais about 4.30 french time you won't get as far as Reims I guess (Laon perhaps). Viamichelin will give you a more accurate view.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
tor, You're not going to get that far, don't forget you'll lose an hour If you leave Calais about 4.30 french time you won't get as far as Reims I guess (Laon perhaps). Viamichelin will give you a more accurate view.

Yikes, that's not very far at all really Sad and just looking at the map - there's quite a drive between Reims & Dijon ....

You can tell this is all new to me!

Tor
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doing it in reverse... we always book the 20:00 Chunnell... aim to get away from home by 12:00........ it's a relatively gentle 8 hour drive....... Calais to Morillon... so working it for you;

11:00 leave Potters Bar
12:30 arrive Folkstone
14:30 Leave Calais
19:30 Arrive Dijon
22:30 Arrive Morillon
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus wrote:
doing it in reverse... we always book the 20:00 Chunnell... aim to get away from home by 12:00........ it's a relatively gentle 8 hour drive....... Calais to Morillon... so working it for you;

11:00 leave Potters Bar
12:30 arrive Folkstone
14:30 Leave Calais
19:30 Arrive Dijon
22:30 Arrive Morillon

Thanks so much Marcellus - that's really kind. So, all things going well, Dijon would be a good place to head for the night. Did you timings allow for any pitstops or should I think to stop the other side of Dijon to allow for these. We'd literally stretch our legs and grab a coffee rather than sit down and eat ...

Tor
latest report
we have to stop every 2.5hours so our 4 legged passenger can have a comfort break, sniff and stretch.... we don't sit and eat and are quite focussed on one fill, by snacks and pay whilst t'other walks dog!!
snow conditions
tor, presumably you have Sun/Sun accommodation in Morillon? There are plenty of alternatives for low-cost accommodation near the autoroutes - you can probably leave that a bit, till you've figured out the basic logistics and decided where you want to stop. The timing given by marcellus does assume that you drive pretty solidly, with only brief stops for petrol/pee. Realistically, if you are not likely to get to the tunnel before 2 pm British time ( 3pm French time) you would need to drive till around 10 pm to break the back of the journey. But if weather is good that shouldn't be a problem - the roads will be quiet (because most of those driving down on that Saturday will have aimed to get to resorts much earlier). A good plan is to stop for a break and a reasonable meal in one of the French motorway aires at about 7, then get back on the road for a couple of hours. The kids should then hopefully be asleep in the back? then stop around 10 - 11 pm just to get your head down for the night. In the morning, I always like to get up and straight on the road for at least an hour before stopping for breakfast. In good road conditions that's another 120 kms!

French motorway service areas are generally better than ours - and on the Sunday they'll be quieter, too, as the majority of French traffic down to the Alps will be on Saturday. With good weather driving on French autoroutes is amazingly better than driving on UK motorways - it's not as bad a journey as it sounds. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi All,
Slightly off thread but related. How close to the mountains before you can fill up with winter diesel?

We are driving to Meribel and having had bad experiences with freezing fuel in diesel hire cars in the past I want to make sure I don't have the same problems with my own diesel.

I was planning to get to Chambery with a relatively empty tank and top up there but not sure if there will be winter fuel available. Or will I have to wait until Moutiers?

Any Ideas?
latest report
marcellus wrote:
we have to stop every 2.5hours so our 4 legged passenger can have a comfort break, sniff and stretch.... we don't sit and eat and are quite focussed on one fill, by snacks and pay whilst t'other walks dog!!

well that's how we're hoping it will be minus the dog walking bit as ours won't be joining us for Christmas Sad
ski holidays
formula ones are very cheep and you can check in at anytime of night as they are automated. Don't expect luxury though!!!
snow report
alexchapman wrote:
formula ones are very cheep and you can check in at anytime of night as they are automated. Don't expect luxury though!!!

Hi Alex and thanks for the suggestion - we're not to fussed about luxury but just need to check as I'm pretty sure some of these only take up to 3 per room (and we're 4)

Tor
ski holidays
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
Hi All,
Slightly off thread but related. How close to the mountains before you can fill up with winter diesel?

We are driving to Meribel and having had bad experiences with freezing fuel in diesel hire cars in the past I want to make sure I don't have the same problems with my own diesel.

I was planning to get to Chambery with a relatively empty tank and top up there but not sure if there will be winter fuel available. Or will I have to wait until Moutiers?

Any Ideas?

Last season I always filled up with diesel at the texaco just after the centre commercial in albertville - c. exit 28? or the super u at 30 or 31. left the car up the hill @ 1650m outside, never had any issues. Didn't ask specifically for 'winter diesel' just assumed that's what I was getting.
snow conditions
tor, For 4 you need a family room at Hotel B&B if you go for the economy chains.
ski holidays
tor, depending on how flush you're feeling, I can recommend the Mercure at Clemenceau in Dijon. We usually stay in a family room for 4 for about €100. Breakfast is extra, but we're normally on the road not long after 6 anyway to be on piste not long after lifts open. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
tor, Etap will take four, better than Formula 1, and you get your own bathroom. Don't forget the snow chains Little Angel
ski holidays
Seldom Seen Kid, We do the Champion at Albertville Center Commercial, or the E. Leclerc further on on the right
latest report
tor,
Quote:

we're not to fussed about luxury but just need to check as I'm pretty sure some of these only take up to 3 per room (and we're 4)

How old are your kids? We always use formula 1 - the driver in the top bunk and me and the kids in the double bed below. My kids are 4 & 5 and quite happy cuddling up for the night. snowHead

We usually get the 6pm saturday evening ferry and then take a relaxed drive down through the night to Samoens - arriving for croissants at around 7am. We usually end up stopping for a 1 hour nap at a services somewhere on the white motorway (at which point my youngest always springs to life and wants to go for a wee) It leaves us knackered on the sunday but up to now has been worth it as the kids sleep all the way instead of moaning.
snow conditions
Quote:

tor, Etap will take four, better than Formula 1, and you get your own bathroom. Don't forget the snow chains Little Angel

radar, Do they have some bigger rooms too? Whenever I've stayed in one it's been one of those strange bunks with a double below and a single above, only stayed in a couple though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All Diesel produced for the N. Europe market is safe down to -15c In French alpine areas the fuel sold is good to -20c. (Remember this is the temperature in your fuel tank not the air temperature)
Quote:

Winter Fuel Spec's
In very cold conditions wax crystals can form in diesel, block the fuel filter and prevent fuel flow.
The European quality standard for diesel fuel includes winter requirements specific to each country which ensure that fuel is suited to the local climate. Fuel capable of operation down to at least -20C is normal in the popular winter resort destinations.
By comparison the specification for winter diesel sold in the UK ensures operation down to a minimum temperature of - 15C.
So called 'cold flow' additives are not required nor are they recommended.
You should avoid carrying UK spec diesel fuel, i.e. in a spare can, as this doesn't have the same extreme low temperature capability.

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html
ski holidays
My experience of Etap hotels is that they only sleep 3 in a room. Novotel have family rooms to sleep 4, you can rent a family room for 4 with breakfast included for £81 the saturday before Christmas at Dijon Sud. The breakfast is a buffet breakfast and usually includes cereals, fruit juices, ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurts, bread, croissants, pastries and the French attempt at a British breakfast. You can see availability for formule1, ETAP, Novotel, Ibis and Mercure at the same website www.accorhotels.com.
They have Novotels in Reims and Troyes but all the family rooms appear to be taken for that week.
snow report
Skimummy wrote:
tor,
Quote:

we're not to fussed about luxury but just need to check as I'm pretty sure some of these only take up to 3 per room (and we're 4)

How old are your kids? We always use formula 1 - the driver in the top bunk and me and the kids in the double bed below. My kids are 4 & 5 and quite happy cuddling up for the night. snowHead

We always take an airbed and put for child number 2 on the floor. We have blankets in the back of the car anyhow so the children can curl up on the way back, and press them into use. We got Ibis Dijon Sud for 31 Euro each way at Easter 2010.

Here are my timings for Rugby - Les Arcs. This has worked well for a number of years, and we usually get an earlier ferry back on the Sunday:

Out
Friday 3rd April 2009
Leave home 05:00
Arrive @ Ferry 09:00
Ferry Leaves Dover 10:00 (UK)
Ferry Arrives Dunkerque 13:00 (FR)
Drive to Hotel in Dijon
Lunch 1:30H
Hotel @ 20:30

Saturday 4th April 2009
Leave Hotel 07:00
Arrive Les Arcs 11:00

Apartment from Saturday 4th April to Saturday 11th April

back
Saturday 11h April 2009
Leave resort 18:00
Arrive @ Hotel 22:00

Sunday 12th April
Leave Hotel 09:00
Arrive Port 17:00
Ferry leaves Dunkerque 18:01 (FR)
Ferry arrives Dover 19:00 (UK)
Home 22:00
snow conditions
Hey tor, looks like you've got more than enough info there to sort out your trip but i'll be doing exactly the same journey (well, to Samoens instead of Morillion) a week on sunday so give me a shout if you want any info on timings etc.
snow conditions
And don't forget it all depends on the weather!The first time we did it with a baby and toddler we followed a snowplough pretty much from Calais to the Alps (where the roads were prefectly clear!) It was the journey from hell and we didn't get anywhere near as far as we'd planned on the first day - fortunately we hadn't booked a hotel in advance and could just pull up at any Formula 1.
snow report
Skimummy, You were really very unlucky. I have been driving to our ski holiday for over 25 years and in all that time have only followed a snowplough (outside of alpine areas) once!
snow report
Skimummy, yes, you were unlucky. I've never followed a snowplough for very long, outside the alps. Had some slow journeys though - including enough snow on Paris ringroad to cause a lot of delays (ie not very much at all) and very slow, one lane only open, well north of Dijon. We've stopped much earlier than planned due to snow going north, too - stopped at Bourg en Bresse when we had planned to get at least to Dijon. And also had to stop at Dijon at 4 pm because of dangerously thick freezing fog on another occasion. But the vast majority of the time the roads are fine - though rain (and therefore 110 mph) is a pain.

I don't normally book accommodation (for that sort of reason, and because I quite often just decide to drive through) but I think if I were doing it on the Friday before christmas, and for the first time, and with kids, then I probably would. It's likely to be quite busy with people with the same idea, getting to the resort early on Saturday.
latest report
Boredsurfing, pam w, We've had great journeys ever since and use Sunday to Sunday accomodation which means hardly any traffic problems.
ski holidays
See the PDF links at the bottom of this page for traffic forecasting on the French M-Way's
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=16
snow conditions
Would suggest Dole rather than Dijon. A39 is much better and not as busy as going via Macon.
If you want total flexibility of crossing on such busy dates go for Eurotunnel FlexiPlus. Remember most ferries don't run on Christmas day so can be a backlog the next day. Don't recommend Formula 1 hotels. if you can spare an extra fiver it will give you something much better although I would not leave it till you get there as you may find many of the hotels are booked-up.
latest report
Boredsurfing, I had a problem last year with fuel not bought close to home- had to wait till sun got on the car - so now always try to fill up no further away than Albertville -first time it had ever been a problem
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, I always fill up at Albertville 'cos I don't like leaving an empty tank as the condensation can freeze in the tank and then thaw giving you a nice watery mix Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy