Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going on Piste has never been cheaper!

Poster: A snowHead
Says the Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1230652/The-column-saves-money-Going-pistes-cheaper.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got to love this line

loonyrightwingslebdrivelsheet wrote:
Many resorts require proof that you're insured before you can buy a ski pass.

How true is that - of course I've had to show my papers every time I've bought a lift pass
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett wrote:
Got to love this line

How true is that - of course I've had to show my papers every time I've bought a lift pass

I have never heard of any resort requiring that. I've only ever bought passess in Switzerland (Verbier), Andorra(Soldeu), Canada (Jasper & Lake Louise), and Austria (half a dozen places) though, so there are plenty of whole countries where I know nothing of buying lift passes, never mind areas within countries.

So I suppose it is possible there could be "many", but it is extremely unlikely IMO that there are actually ANY. Can you imagine what the queues would be like at the ticket offices in the mornings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It refers to discounts SCGB members can get. However, no mention of Snowheads discounts! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This has got to be the bargain of the year:

Direct Travel charges from £26 for a week's skiing in Europe for a couple and dependent children under 19.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, quoting out of context is a Daily Mail speciality. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, ROFLOL, complete p1sh. Clearly written by someone who's never been skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, bit harsh. You can't argue with such basics as 'borrowing gear is cheap' or 'mountain restaurants are expensive'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:

Direct Travel charges from £26 for a week's skiing in Europe for a couple and dependent children under 19.

snowHead

Well I have just booked my insurance through them - at a cost of £20.50. I could have got if for £13 if I didn't want cover for ski equipment/ski pack/piste closure.

Their Winter Sports cover includes more activities than many policies - it includes things like heli-skiing (not that I will be doing that), and off-piste skiing without requiring a qualified guide or instructor.

And their piste closure insurance only requires at least 80% of the pistes to be closed and makes no mention of resort height.

So yes, it does genuinely look like a bargain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, But what is out of context about that bit?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The title of this piece is stupid, it's probably never been more expensive with the pound as weak as it is.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett wrote:
Got to love this line

LOL! They'd be lucky, I only have basic (luggage, etc.) insurance!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, but you buy the carte neige with your lift pass? It's cheap, and if you need even a sledge down the nearest mountain with a twisted knee, it costs loads.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Don't forget travel insurance. Many resorts require proof that you're insured before you can buy a ski pass.

If you have an accident on the mountain, it can cost £4,000 for an air ambulance in Europe and £8,000 in the U.S. A broken leg can cost £7,000 to fix in Europe and up to £16,000 in the U.S.

Or open Abbey's Reward packaged bank account before December 13 for three months at £5 a month and get free travel insurance.

Alex Heney In context it looks quite reasonable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, Shocked Shocked

Are you a loony, or do you buy insurance with the lift pass?
snow report
RobW wrote:

snowHead

rolling eyes

Clearly some snowHeads read more into this that it says. If you change Direct Travel to Inghams, then is t more clearly a bargain? The quote doesn't say it's only for insurance! [Which would not be such a bargain.]
snow report
Lizzard, I think she has stated in the past that she basically can't get medical insurance (at a feasible price) due to various health issues.
snow report
Apart from the daft bit about having to show your insurance to buy a lift pass, it's a more informative article than the dopey piece in the Telegraph on Sunday. That, having set out to find out whether a family holiday could be had without breaking the bank, failed completely to say what the featured holiday had actually cost.
snow report
alex_heney is correct. I only have basic travel insurance at the moment with no medical cover. But I do have piste rescue, equipment, piste closure, etc. specific wintersports cover. Other than that I stick to the EU and my EHIC card.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, well the lift pass office should be very happy with that lot. My OH has no cover for his pre-existing medical conditions so if he has a heart attack up a mountain I'd need to throw his body over a cliff to get it recovered by our travel insurance. But I think Carte Neige would provide a free ride down. wink
snow conditions
pam w, is he not covered by an EHIC card?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, what, for piste rescue? Behave. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, I took it to mean he had no cover for his heart condition. Why wouldn't he have piste rescue, I am sure PamW is sensible enough to have Carte Neige.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, yes, I think once we got him off the mountain (courtesy of Carte Neige) he'd be EHIC'd. He is covered for diabetes, so if he had a hypo on the mountain (he's had quite a few, but so far we've dealt with them OK) the insurance would cover.
latest report
Just a reminder that your EHIC cards do expire, I almost got caught out myself this year and had to hurriedly get some new ones sorted pretty sharpish for us. I rely on that card, my annual insurance policy which includes a very healthy winter allowance, worldwide and that does include the states as well. Little Angel
snow conditions
solataire, yes, we got ours updated last year, thanks to a reminder on snowheads. Our current policy AMEX) includes a discount for using EHIC.
snow report
Hopefully I'll get my full travel insurance back next year.

I've never used Carte Neige. Is it a France-thing, or available throughout the Alps? What does it offer that normal winter sports travel insurance doesn't? If it's about off-piste that's not necessary for me, I never venture off-piste.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Hopefully I'll get my full travel insurance back next year.

I've never used Carte Neige. Is it a France-thing, or available throughout the Alps? What does it offer that normal winter sports travel insurance doesn't? If it's about off-piste that's not necessary for me, I never venture off-piste.

Was going to ask the same thing. Going to 3v in jan with 3 kids, not got insurance yet so if anything happens what does this offer different to normal insurance?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shefellover, nothing, usually. Though everyone else will be along in a minute to say that you should buy it anyway.
ski holidays
Having to discover the delights of insurancee for the first time this year.

I've had a look at the likes of snowcard and Direct Travel.

But can you get by in resort and on piste by just buying Carte Neige and using your EHIC (E111)? Does that cover you for all medical and repatriation expenses? Or is it worth it just to get travel insurance, for example if your hired skis get knicked etc.
snow report
Christopher, the insurance you buy with the pass covers:

- piste rescue
- loss of lesson time/equipment hire/lift pass due to injury
- repatriation

.. and that's all. If you are injured and need medical treatment, you will have to pay:

- ambulance and other transport costs
- the percentage of medical costs not covered by your EHIC (usually about 30%)

Read this: http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm
snow report
Lizzard, cheers. I don't really see the benefits of Carte Neige for British skiiers on holiday then. Its surely a no brainer to have travel insurance.
ski holidays
I thought most ski insurance got you off the mountain and payed your bills etc....isnt that why we buy it? You can add equipment etc at a price.

We used flexicover afew years ago and they payed all my bills when i was taken ill, wasnt on the slope at the time though.
latest report
alex_heney, IMO good choice in Direct Travel .... have used them for all 3 trips and had to claim because of injury on the last 2 Embarassed And looks as though I haven't been blacklisted on their database as a liability (yet ) as managed to get a good price for this years trip the other day !! Laughing
They've paid up each time and without any fuss as long as you have the documentation to prove your claim ie Drs note, receipts etc
snow conditions
Christopher, shefellover, I've never seen a ski policy which didn't cover you for piste rescue (what would be the point?), and no, the lift pass insurance isn't particularly relevant to British holidaymakers. Now, a million people will arrive in a minute and give you horror stories of skiers being refused treatment etc because the doctor/pisteurs/ambulanciers/etc didn't like their insurance cover, and tell you that local insurance is absolutely essential if you are to avoid being left to bleed to death on the piste. I have to say that in nearly 15 seasons of dealing with UK skiers in the alps, I have neither seen nor heard of this happen.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Christopher, the insurance you buy with the pass covers:

- piste rescue
- loss of lesson time/equipment hire/lift pass due to injury
- repatriation

.. and that's all. I

Not totally. I've made a claim for my lift pass on carte neige after an accident meant I couldn't ski any more and there isn't any excess deducted where as last time I tried to claim on a UK policy (for stolen equipment) the excess made it pointless.
latest report
Lizzard,
So what you are saying is : as long as your travel insurance has winter sports cover, Carte Neige is not neccasary. This is contrary to popular belief, however I have never bothered with it. I just make sure I have a credit card in my wallet in case the need should ever arise. Surely if you had paid to be stretchered off the mountain and had the receipt they would have to cough up.

On the one occasion I did need to make a claim for a minor treatment the surgery let me return the following day with my insurance papers and billed them direct. I must have a honest face Cool
snow conditions
Blimey - next time I'll spell it out for you - I thoght the sarcastic reference to papers would have given it away but..

bertie bassett wrote:
Got to love this line

[irony mode=on]
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Blimey - next time I'll spell it out for you - I thoght the sarcastic reference to papers would have given it away but..

bertie bassett wrote:
Got to love this line

[irony mode=on]

Why do you think anybody didn't realise what you were saying?
latest report
The only conceivable advantage of Carte neige I can think of is that you won't have to cough up for your ride down the mountain in advance and then claim it back. This is not often or ever in my experience, the case with a piece of paper in English saying you are insured.
As it is the norm for French skiers, of whom there are quite a number in France, it is the system most known and used for the French resorts, no wonder they don't examine every little foreign insurer to see the levels of cover.
Also it is very cheap, so if one were to adopt the belt and braces approach, even in this economic climate, it shouldn't break the bank for a week. Certainly around €20
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy