Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats a Softshell Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi i am looking at purchasing a ski jacket but it a shoftshell but i dont know what a shoftshell is?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty much 'ronseal' i.e. does what it says on the tin i.e. it's a jacket that doesn't have a hard outer. The hard outer provides the full water/snow proof lining, snow skirt and a heavier layer of wind resistance, and therefore people often wear a soft-shell under a hard-shell jacket. I found a soft-shell, base layer and hard shell outer is a great combination for most conditions last season, but would switch to just a soft-shell for spring skiing. Not all soft-shells have the same water / wind resistence however and I have one that's about 10-20% warmer than another.

HTH
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers bertie do you think they will be suitable for the colder conditions of canada and do you think it could be used as a main jacket
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chelt881, It's when the salesman with a lisp doesn't really push the sale. Toofy Grin

I'll get me coat. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chelt881 wrote:
Cheers bertie do you think they will be suitable for the colder conditions of canada and do you think it could be used as a main jacket

Never skied canada, but I'd think not myself - I'd be looking for a warm ski jacket which i'd possibly wear ontop of a soft-shell or other middle layer, on top of my base layer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree - a soft shell is only an outer layer in guaranteed fair weather. It's not really a main jacket on its own. They look cool though.... Madeye-Smiley

Dave
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Didn't they sing Tainted Love
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am confused. I have a North Face gortext soft shell, and I use it as my main outer wear even in the coldest of weather. It is soft as in not hard hard and crinkley , and has a thin fleece liner. but it is great in cold weather with a thin and a thick fleece.

(Last Years version of this http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/remote/Satellite?c=fabrics_product_c&childpagename=goretex_en_GB%2Ffabrics_product_c%2FDetailMidiEvolution&cid=1251579040489&packedargs=gender%3DUnisex%26prodtype1%3DOuterwear1%26subpageid%3D1179537199224&pagename=SessionWrapper )

Is gortext soft shell actually a soft shell?

Either way it works for me from ~ -30 celcius up to ~ +16 with different mid layers. I sweat a LOT, and it handles it well, and it was good in the rain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A lot of misunderstanding in this thread so far.

If you want to know what's what i'd recommend reading the following articles -
http://www.psychovertical.com/?cuthecrap
http://www.psychovertical.com/?thebestsoftshell
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
soft shell covers such a multitude of fabrics now and hard shells are getting softer...

i actually think that soft shell is perfectly ok for cold weather. the conditions where it can fall down are when it is very wet because softshell clothes often don't have taped seams
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
i actually think that soft shell is perfectly ok for cold weather. the conditions where it can fall down are when it is very wet because softshell clothes often don't have taped seams

Once again it depends, my Arcteryx soft shell is as waterproof as their hard shell. This is what they told me when I specifically asked:

Quote:
There is no difference in waterproofness of any of our Gore jackets but there will be a difference in the overall breathability with the Sidewinder being better at moving the moisture from your body away from your skin and outward which in turn helps keep you dry.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With modern material and technologies, I wonder if saying soft or hard shell is still an accurate description and does not just add confusion or lead away from the real issue, which IMV is what layering system is best suited to what conditions.
With modern jackets, I'd say "thin" or "softshell" (as people call them) jackets would only be unsuitable in extremely cold conditions...
A lot is down to personal preferences,,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I try to keep up with material technology but I still get confused by Arcteryx softshells vs the typical softshell:

1. "Typical" softshell: priority on breathability over waterproofness compared to hard shells (see first link posted by frank4short above).

2. Arcteryx softshell: just as waterproof as their hard shell but less breathable. (ie exactly the other way around).

Of course, there are probably many other companies making softshells of the "Arcteryx" type. There should really be two categories here.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy