Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach's lack of snow

Poster: A snowHead
I am off to Saalbach on the 5th December for four days to see friends who live out there. Have resigned myself to not being able to ski in Saalbach and perhaps driving to Kaprun.

Is anyone familar with Saalbach and if so, how does this rank in terms of a start to a season? There is literally no snow on the mountains and I can't see how the cannons can help even if the temperatures drop to more manageable levels. Appreciate two weeks off but the signs look bad. Does the start to a season bode badly for say March?! Million dollar question no doubt.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JimmyAFCB, I can't believe the conditions in November would provide any clues at all about the conditions in March. However if it makes you feel better:

Day 1: 23rd January 2007

Day 2: 24th January 2007

Day 3: 25th January 2007

Day 4: 26th January 2007

You need about 20-30cm of snow to open up about 75% of the resort as we found a few years back. Don't give up hope just yet!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimmyAFCB, I agree with ski-finder, conditions in November really don't tell us much about likely conditions in March. We've had a couple of seasons of good early starts in Austria, perhaps this year might be a bit later, but no need to panic yet.

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not too sure why the OP asked about March as he's there on 5 December. Even then, there's still time for enough snow to fall. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I thought that, then I thought perhaps the post was in two completely separate parts - 1) going in two weeks, resigned self to Kaprun, and 2) How does this rate in terms of a normal season/season start? How does this affect the rest of the season?

I think Confused

That said, the answer is the same, the snow conditions in November are really a pretty good indication of ...well... the snow conditions in November really, and not a lot else.

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was a question in two parts, I didn't make myself clear.
I am going for a skiing holiday in March. December is just to visit friends.
I suppose I knew the answer but was a little unsure because people on here always go on about getting a good base on the slopes at the start of the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimmyAFCB, it is true that a good base bodes well... but certainly somewhere like Saalbach it is less of an issue as there are far less rocks to cover. Also the season hasn't actually started yet!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They cancelled the opening race in Solden and then un-cancelled it (interesting concept i know). we seem to be about 2 weeks behind the season last year and that link started in september. the glacier skiing over here this autumn has been immense. i looked at the french alps today, they are really struggling but i am sure will come good. March and April are always the best snow months over here, not sure about 2010 but for the last 10 winters that has been the case.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking better today everyone...

http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/weathersnow/live-cams.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the beauty of Austria Mountains. Being mainly grass covered slopes 20cm is enough to get things going & that can easily be in one short dump.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is snow news good news??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The webcams look white and with the current low temps they will be blasting out loads with the snow cannons, should be plenty of skiing/sliding to be had with the resort looking hopeful (early days) for
more natural snow between now and Christmas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
42 days and 12 hours till we arrive.....anyone got an update on conditions / any snow forecast?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

42 days and 12 hours till we arrive

whatever conditions, and whatever forecast, will be completely irrelevant to what will be happening in 42 days time! That's a lifetime....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
doh
Just taking an interest! I get excited when it snows whether I am there or not.....
snow report
Saalbach is doing its usual top job of keeping everything open on fake snow.

About 90% of the lifts are currently open.

Snowdepths, though, are about 50% below-average for this time of year.
snow conditions
5 more sleeps.

Any news on snow condition.....looks cold on the old GFS?

Whooooooooooaaaaaaa snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Need snow by early March - next trip so want snow with a touch of lovely clear sky please
snow conditions
Nevr mind early march I going on Saturday....

Whoooooaaaaa!! snowHead snowHead
snow report
120cm on top now, just got their newsletter today, I think the title of this thread needs changing
snow conditions
It all starts to melt and the temperatures are well above zero for the next week Sad Please, please, tell me there will be snow for the 13-20 of March

From 120 cm it's down to 95cm .....
ski holidays
Just got back from Saalbach yesterday.
First 3 days ab fab, cold and snow as good as it gets.
Warm weather days 3/4/5 has not helped. Snowfall as leaving on Saturday but methinks not enough to replace the saharan damage....
What a great area though. We will definately be going back despite a minor overbooking issue at the hotel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy