Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spare Car places sun-sun 7-14 Feb 2010 1-3 spare seats to chourcheval

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We currently have a group of 5 travelling to choucheval (le praz) all within 30 mins drive. We might be able to change our dates to sat 6 - sun 7th.
But 5 is a difficult number to drive with. Ideally we would like 4 people per car. We would like to take 2 cars as it works out much cheaper.

We will split the cost of 2 cars among us all equally, not bothered if you can drive or not. one way also an option for anyone. I think it will work out about £300 per car for the return journey.
So about £75 each return assuming we get 3 more people. A lot cheaper than any flights or taxi or train etc....

I have not looked into it yet so I maybe wrong, but I think we will be going through Bourg st maurice if that is convient for other perhaps if someone wanted to connect with the les arc fenicular or bus etc.

We will be leaving from the south east of England so most areas of the M25 or south London are possible pick up points.
Please get in touch.

Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy_genge, welcome to snowHead s. That's a very generous offer - sure you'll have some takers. Your original Sun/Sun dates are very well advised - those Saturdays will be chaotic as it's a peak week.

Unless you have very economical cars I think the cost might work out a bit more than £300 though. Lots of threads about that on snowheads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy_genge, are you just talking car spaces or for staying / skiing with you guys in resort as well?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry just offering the taxi ride we are trying to keep the chalet and skiing amongst old friends. The Turn around date is interesting seems sun to sun is normal for some chalets which means we will miss the moutain jams especially worse with the higher resorts.
7-14 is 1 week before french half term and english private schools when cost go silly (and I mean REALLY silly this year) at least on the 13/14th we will be able to point and laugh at all the poor suckers with screaming kids stuck in jams coming up the hill Happy

Cheers for the note on cost I must admit I have not properly researched the costs yet, but based on previous experience I am guess about £50 in tolls and £100 petrol each way, but I think you might be right about the costs.
As you say people may be advised to check out the other forum posts to get a better idea of costs.

I am not promising the costs at this stage, the costs will be added up as we go along for both cars and then shared between us. I have not added on roof carriers or snow chains costs, light converters etc... Not sure what to do about these as the car owner is the main beneficiary of these.

Also I might now only be able to offer 2 places as we may have a friend joining us on the hols.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Not sure what to do about these as the car owner is the main beneficiary of these.

But the car owner, it seems, is not charging you for a great many miles which will add greatly to wear and tear and bring forward his servicing dates! If he gets some "free" snowchains out of the deal, it will still be scant recompense.

And the channel crossing will add to the costs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

indeed they do. And how much better is that than having the wheels fall off? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,

depends on whether you have a full spare wheel, a thin one or no wheel and a can of spray! Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am well provided with spare tyres, thanks. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have seen the posts on full spare or cheap skate mini. It's a good point, never really worried about it before. I prefer to live life on the edge Happy

I did forget to mention the ferry costs good point.
Maybe one for the driving forum but in case your interested here are some accurate stats for my recent holiday to the south of france.
According to my fuel iphone app, £198 tolls and ferry(inc£65). 2481 miles costing £603 total cost. that 33.12 miles to the gallon for a 2.5 litre engine. 16.3p/mile

I figure this trip is about 700 miles each way. about £120 in petrol each way. +£39 in tolls.
Not too bothered by wear and tear on the car couldnt be bothered to go into that detail. But you may be right about a free set of snow chains I will probably never use them as it's a AWD car Happy

The other car is a large estate so hoping to avoid needing a roof carrier. I have seen an inflatable roof rack for £50 anyone know if these are any good? For 1 trip the thule costs seem to take the michael.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy_genge,

I think what pam w was referring to were the "hidden" costs to taking the car, i.e. car/tyre wear..
There are some fugure suggested of 30p/mile....and a search will reveal many heated "debates" on this forum on the actual "cost of driving to the alps"...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can imagine it's an old debate, I used to get 40p a mile from work and with my car that made me a nice little earner. A car worth nothing deprieciated by FA every year Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy