Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wot size skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Righty ho - haven't skied since 2003 (used to go every year, but life gets in the way!!) and have just booked a Chalet in Val d'Isere on Jan 30th Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway, having put my 'straight' 2m ski's in the skip a couple of years ago as I prefer hiring carvers, I'm faced with paying 150E for a weeks hire (or are there better deals?).

I could be persuaded to buy a new pair - my friend services his own, so could teach me (one reason I've been hiring is the cost of service and transport is high).

I'm a good intermediate, not really into off piste although have the odd dabble, 95Kgs, 6ft. What should I expect to pay for a sensible pair of skis/binding in the UK (bristol based) or in the resort?

And what length?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have just had a quick look on the skiset website, it gives you a choice of five shops in Val and the one I looked at Killy sport rented mid range skis at 86 euro for six days. No way should you pay 150 euros. With boots they were 118Euro. I am about your size and ski on 170cm, but that's personal choice. With a bit of internet research you will find the shop nearest to your chalet. I've used skiset a few times with no problem. Another firm is snowbrainer who have had good reviews and they charge £62 forthe week at the same shop. Enjoy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How much for one week ??

Why don't you try http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/hire.html

They will deliver skis directly to your accomodation in Val d'isere

£75 gets you a pair of Salomon Aero X (has just won Fall lines On piste Ski of the year 2010)
or Scott Wind
both seem reasonable ski's for that level

Or the The Zenith Z10 Mutix, a bit wider which would be better off piste but they are a little more at £90

I'm going to use them in January when I go to Val Thorens, quite fancy a go on the Atomics
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not that hot on ski lengths, everytime I read another thread on it i get more confused

180 should be good enough
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Length depends on type of ski. Do you prefer slalom type turns or GS? For the former you could go as short as 160.

Price wise, I'd budget around £400 for skis and bindings - but there are much better deals out there if you're prepared to look. Don't rule out decent 2nd hand jobs either.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
' Do you prefer slalom type turns or GS?'

Whatever gets me round (usually GS) Cool

I think I may have been given 168's last time, so 170+ sounds about right. Those hire prices look good too, so will stick to renting, cheers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martinm, stick on here and we'll have you with an assortment of skis for differing conditions in no time wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
Don't rule out decent 2nd hand jobs either.

But only if the first one isn't up to much..... Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

martinm I'm similar size/build and, it would seem, ability. I've got Atomic GS9 from 2006 which I absolutely love (they're GS10 now) in 170cm. Great on piste though I would imagine I might struggle off-piste on them - though that may not be entirely down to the ski Embarassed

I think I paid €300 for them off a German fleaBay shop (around £220 with carriage in the good old days!) so could be woth a lookup?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy