Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When will it start to snow in Zell am see?

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading there in early January and at the moment it seems milder than the UK. Is this likely to suddenly change and the heavens open with snow?

Also how far is Kaprun from Zell if we have no snow I guess we need to venture up to Kaprun.

Many thanks, great forum!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry - it will be fine by then.

I'm going there on the 12th Dec - and I'm not worried ..... YET !

Kaprun is only about 20 mins on the ski buses - all included in the full area lift pass.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bexman, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

A day is a long time in terms of mountain weather, let alone 6 weeks or so. Don't worry about what you can't change.

Zell is a beautiful resort ( Winter or Summer ), you have chosen well wink I would have thought the lifts at Kaprun are probably a 20-25 mins bus ride away from the centre of Zell. I've never done it on a bus, but it's about a 15 min drive in a car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bexman,
on the 28th November 2009 at 12:33 precisly!!

There are some very encouraging long range forecasts predicting a very cold winter on its way...
Things are a little warm and bright over here - but that is mainly due to a very warm wind that makes it way up from Italy. Local forecasts are predicting snow down to 1000m on Thursday (but these are not very reliable)

I really wouldn't worry though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh... and welcome to snowHead 's !!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great thanks for the welcomes and advice guys!

I'm concerned as its my o/h's first time skiing and ofcourse the more snow the better!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zells slopes are all medows so it dosnt take much cover to get the lower slopes open.

Use the search bar at the top, Zell has been talked about at some length over the last few winters.
If you get the snow we all hope Zell is a picture postcard ski town, if not Kaprun is on the same lift pass
and only 30 mins from Zell Centre Station.

Welcome to snowHead s
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm concerned as its my o/h's first time skiing and ofcourse the more snow the better!

bexman, welcome to Snowheads. I can relate to your concern - but although I have two new skiers starting at Christmas I'm not worried yet! And I don't think your quote is right. What beginners like is enough snow to have a nice surface on the piste, and then sunshine, sunshine, sunshine! They're not so keen on those days when it snows all day and the pistes become lumpy and challenging, especially when they can't see. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that good visibility is much more important to beginners than good snow. And a good instructor is even more important. They just need enough snow - a few inches is OK in a place where the pistes are pasture-based - and instructors are very good at taking them to the right place. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bexman, I've always found nice snow in 1st week July Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow all around IBK today, i would estimate down to about 1700m, i can see a local huts i have spent too much time in and that looked white through my telescope. Hopefully the door will be closed shut with snow till next May (not really) - has been pretty mild but no panic at all. this is austria, if there is no snow between Zurs and Warth then the Alps are stone coloured.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still no snow in Zell yet, although the west of Austria seems to have plenty! At least its getting colder, lets hope it continues Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ooooh - now I'm getting nervous ! Still there's always the glacier and the BAR ! NehNeh Can't wait - roll on 12th Dec !

If this goes a bit awry then I've got Mayrhofen on 23rd Jan ! .... and La Rosiere in 4th April ! Bound to be some snow somewhere for me.

In fact I've never had a lack of snow in about 40 trips over about 30 year span - so surely the streak must continue ! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope your luck contines beeryletcher!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My first visit we where there leading up to Christmas and there was 2 feet in the town centre. I remember looking with interest the year
later and the run to the bottom of the city express lift didnt have ANY cover on it untill late Jan.

Fingers crossed for you
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the Schmitten webcams are showing some fresh snow @ the top. Also they have fan guns going as well, not sure how far down. Lower slopes may be bare for the next couple of weeks, but it should be fine @ the top
snow report
Have a look at the SonnalmBahnen camera, looks like mid-winter. http://www.schmitten.at/de/service/panorama-cams/. It's at 1400m - 70% of the skiing is above this height.
snow report
Those webcams look very wintery! I havent been to Zell before, and I'm guessing the ski schools are at the bottom but we've got over a month yet so fingers crossed for a nice covering of snow
ski holidays
I guess there's some good news finally. Zell am See opens on Sunday Dec 6! Looks like they're getting snow now too
snow conditions
today you cant even see the webcams for the amount of snow in kaprun - at glacier, on the maiskogel and even in teh village itself ! : snowHead

am off there on 23 jan - that time last year was the best snow ive skid on since the 3 valleys were totally dumped on in march 99, and the snow started almost at lyon airport !

zell shoudl be perfect snow for next week - enjoy !
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:

am off there on 23 jan

Snap.
ski holidays
Late October, early November was colder and snowier than normal, second half of November much warmer than normal. So far December has not been far off seasonal averages. If this continues then there should be no problem by January. Of course it may not be as good pre Xmas as last year or the year before (then again if it were to shift suddenly that could still be on the cards, but it has some ground to make up), but I really wouldn't worry about January at this stage. Smile
ski holidays
DaddyLouLou wrote:
sev112 wrote:

am off there on 23 jan

Snap.

Who you travelling with - i have teh family with me so we are off with Esprit, who who done us proud for the past 2 years with a little'un
latest report
I'm off to Kaprun/Zell on the 16th Dec. I've booked and paid for the flights, transfers and hotel. So (snow or no snow) I'm gonna be there. This makes it absolutely pointless to look at weather forecasts. At least not until a couple of days before I fly. As a result I'm cool, calm and collected; completely devoid of stress and getting on with life until I go.

Who am I trying to kid?
Why am I reading this thread?
When is the snow coming? Please, I need snow!! Mad
latest report
sev112, erm, Esprit.

Going with the family (2 kids), and a mate and his family (3 kids)
snow report
DaddyLouLou,
Mara or Sonnenalp?
ski holidays
Mara
snow report
Snap - we'll see you somewhere in a queue at Gatwick i presume - at least they are sensible flight times, although no doubt an early start from Sheffield
snow report
SCGB reporting 10cm at bottom and 40cm at top in Zell and some lifts now open. More forecast for this week and temps getting lower as week goes on. Plenty of snow in Kaprun now too.

They know I'm coming this Saturday - and are laying it on ! Hey - I just found out they've also restocked the Apres bars with my favourite Dunkel Weiss beers and Jagermeister ... oh and choccie rum too ... and ...... Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112, £9 Travelodge the night before wink
latest report
Mmmm, Hexengeist time. Out Kaprun 26th.

Was in the Sonnenalp in the summer, sadly been dropped from next year's summer brochure, was/is nice.
latest report
Ghost Dog,
INtersting about Sonnenalp - speaking to the Esprit child care reps teh past 2 years (who have been very good) they say the summer season in Kaprun is as good as winter season - i find it hard to believe, but they fight tooth and nail to keep a position , and so i think that contributes to why we get (touch wood) good child care and reps . The Resort Manager for Esprit in Kaprun the past 2 years has been one of teh best i have come across in many years of skiing and summer trips.

i found Sonnenalp a bit cramped - it's a bit more traditionally Austrian, and the bus stop is RIGHT outside (as oppsed to 200m down the road from Mara) but something is just "comfy" at Mara. Having said that, the depressing news on day 1 last year was that the Esprit chef at Sonnenalp was Gordon Ramsay trained, and tha Mara one suprisingly wasnt ! Never mind the wine goes on and on ..........
snow report
Has anyone heard how the snow is in Zell recently?
latest report
greido, looks pretty decent, pics from today here:

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=33605
snow report
Yeah I've been keeping a check and the forecast Ive seen says its warming up a bit next week there. Ive been looking for a web cam in the Zell village itself, It would be nice to have a covering in the village but the slopes are obviously most important! I watched Ski Sunday this week and Val D'Isere looked very poor, very icy conditions and not much snow
snow report
bexman,

http://flugplatz-zellamsee.at/de/Wetter_webcams/wetter_webcams.html

Best you'll get - 750m looking at the bottom of the slopes in Zell

Markus,

would have cut my right icicle off for conditions like that december 06! snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for that Matt, snow looks a bit sparce on the mountains! Lets hope they get some soon
ski holidays
bexman,

135 upper 10 lower - must be way above average for the upper slopes for the time of year Puzzled Those pics look fantastic too!

Twas 40 upper - 0 lower when i was last there (06/07) and we were skiing to the valley - very good artificial snow!

zell is also home to my favourite ski run - the black 13 - great fun!

Just checked last years snow history (and last year was great) - its about the same this year.
latest report
well got some photos, I'm still over here at the moment, but put them on msn skydrive if anyone fancies a look, the red to the bottom is closed but skiable, just not pisted, the black 13 is open but a bit rocky, theres snow cannons going 24/7 at the moment so no worries for xmas onwards, leaving kaprun tomorrow AM - nooooooo Crying or Very sad oh runs with trees = zell, runs without = kitzsteinhorn glacier

http://cid-ec073c370253abce.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Ski%20kaprun%5E0zell%20am%20see?authkey=iKfDJt7Nfxk%24&ct=photos
snow report
Skied in Zell am See on Thursday. Pistes in good condition up top, with occasional stones. Very cold. Lower runs (and black 14) not yet open but, as tompringle says, the snow cannons are blasting away, so I expect they want to open them for the Xmas period.

latest report
Thanks tompringle looks lie there's plenty there! Here's hoping for some more over Christmas
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy