Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying ski equipment. Is it worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
hmmm, if it works for you matey then you can`t knock it. But if you really want to raise your game then new boots are the best investment advice i can offer, and if your getting boots the shop should fit them for you. If they dont go somewhere else Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thats the answer everyone has always given me.... but what has stopped me from actually buying them is the lack of real justification....
what is it about the boots that will be better than the best boots a hire shop has, that are new that season and have only had a couple weeks use at most?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aldoyle, Just add up the cost of renting for 20 years against the purchase cost. In straight financial terms it is a no brainer, especially for boots which don't need maintenance and up to now have been free to take on a plane.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It just occured to me that we're all spending north of £1,000 on ski holidays per year (including flights, transfers, hotels, food, drink...etc.) and we're here discussing how to go through all this trouble to save 50 euros a year (boots only). I guess if you really want to have your own gear you'll buy it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its never been a financial decision really, just i have never been able to justify it as i have no solid evidence that boots i buy will be more comfortable than what ive used before
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Although, I do have to say that every year, I have been suffering after day 3

There's yer answer then .... I'm on my 3rd pair of boots. First pair, rear entry Salomons, late 1980's. Nice and comfy, but my skiing outgrew them. Next a pair of Nordica's which I bought hastily to replace the Salomons, and regretted. Now have another pair of Salomons which are so comfy I don't even loosen for lunch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hired boots will usually be too big for you (as people go for comfort), even if this isn't the situation, in 99.99% of cases they still won't be fitting as well as they could. If you're boots are customised to your feet, with a good, snug, 'as-tight-as-is-(nearly wink )comfortable fit then your movements will be transmitted from your boot, to the binding, to the ski much more quickly and efficiently, which will have a big impact on your skiing. Many people who haven't had their own boots don't even realise that their boots aren't fitting properly, 'cos they have no experience of how they should be. Trust me - invest, you won't regret it.

It's not just about comfort, performance will increase too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowforever wrote:
It just occured to me that we're all spending north of £1,000 on ski holidays per year (including flights, transfers, hotels, food, drink...etc.) and we're here discussing how to go through all this trouble to save 50 euros a year (boots only).

No we aren't really. We are all recommending to buy boots not so much on financial grounds (although there will be a saving), but very much more because your won boots will usually make a BIG difference to your skiing.

Incidentally, I have never spent as much as £1000 on a ski holiday - it is usually between £600-£700 all in. £50 saving in that much is more significant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler wrote:

And if it wasn't for said fodder, and only up to brands like the ones you mention, skiing would still be out of reach of many people.

Im not sure that sounds like a bad idea, I think people on slope have a duty to look presentable, rather than a walls ice lolly wrapper.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:

Second, with current exchange rates, it will almost certainly be more expensive in resort.[/quote]

Not to mention ski shop owners whose idea of competitive pricing is 10% off RRP after the lifts have closed in May, captive markets & cartels etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aldoyle wrote:
what is it about the boots that will be better than the best boots a hire shop has, that are new that season and have only had a couple weeks use at most?

Your boots over time will adjust to the shape of your feet, and become better fitting over time well before they get to old.
Boots also tend to have a much longer lifespan, so you more likely will come out better off financially over time.
They dont necessarily attract extra baggage charges as you can put them in your suitcase with everything else.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aldoyle wrote:
thats the answer everyone has always given me.... but what has stopped me from actually buying them is the lack of real justification....

Well first there is the simple fact that most shops have a much more limited range of rental boots than boots for sale. So the "best boots a hire shop has" will still frequently be boots aimed at no more than early intermediate skiers, where you may be better in more advance boots. They don't tend to have those for rent as much, because they know that most people ready for that level of boot will have their own.

Secondly, once you have your own, you have the same boots each time, you are not dependent on the different stock each shop may have, or on what happens to be currently available at whatever time you hit the shop.

Thirdly, you own boots, if you do it properly, should be an almost perfect fit, which rentals will rarely be, even if you have very near "standard" feet, because the rental shop will not be carrying out the heat moulding of the liners which just about all modern boots have.

Fourthly, you will almost certainly save money over the lifetime of the boot, since they can go in "normal" luggage, and they last for many years, with little or no servicing costs.

And of course, you save time queuing/selecting/fitting in hire shops, although not as much as you would if you had all your own gear.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

DO NOT BUY BARGAIN BOOTS.

I'll second that. Last year I bought a pair 2nd hand off a friend for £20 who was selling as they were too small for him. They fitted ok and I even tried them on a dry slope. However when skiing for real they were way to big and also one ski kept falling off. After close inspection I discovered the boots were actually different sizes!! He'd bought them from an end of season bargain bucket. This year I've splashed out and bought a custom fitted pair of Atomics for over ten times the price Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbirring, then I'm afraid you bought poor boots. There's a difference between that and bargain. Bargain simply means buying something at a price advantageous to the purchaser, as mentioned above, and it says nothing about quality. Jaguar are currently offering over £7k off the price of an XKR, which is a bargain, but it certainly ain't poor quality!
[/pedant]
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mfj197 wrote:
Jaguar are currently offering over £7k off the price of an XKR, which is a bargain, but it certainly ain't poor quality!

Highly dubious bargain again, although probably better debated in another forum.
snow report
aldoyle, if you can afford the difference in price between the UK and France I strongly suggest you get boots from Zenith in Val Thorens. They have prices on the website so you can compare - I attached the link on your ski hire thread. They really know what they are doing and if you have any pressure points you have a whole week to get them sorted to perfection. If you are a good skier you will love the additional precision and comfort you get from having your own boots. If you are interested, PM me and I'll tell you who to ask for.
snow conditions
mfj197, being different sizes hardly means they were poor quality. Unless they were marked the same size but actually different.
nixmap wrote:
Im not sure that sounds like a bad idea, I think people on slope have a duty to look presentable, rather than a walls ice lolly wrapper

I'm not normally so blunt on here, but shut up you moron.
ski holidays
Yes, good point anotherproblem. Poor wasn't really the correct turn of phrase-apologies sbirring.
snow report
well, i took the plunge and went to the local fitters today and bought my first pair of boots!
went to the chill factore tonight, and BINGO! superb. I have now realised that I had always been using the wrong boots / tightening too much etc etc etc.
Going back tomorrow to get them finished off - heat moulded etc etc
very pleased.

The boots are some Salomon thingies, cant remember the model, but they are black and red! Puzzled
latest report
aldoyle, Ahhh..... Black and Red boots. They always fit the best Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DaddyLouLou, haha, absolutely.
Im sure they are called Salomon 'something' 9 ???
snow report
on further inspection they are Salomon Impact 8 Cs
snow conditions
You really need to spend an hour trying on boots before you decide - you cannot do that when you hire. They need to hold the foot firmly so there is no movement of the foot in the boot, or you won't have proper control of the skis. However this will normally mean there are some points where your feet are not exactly the shape of the boot where it starts to pinch after you have been skiing in them for half an hour. Last time I bought at the shop at Milton Keynes snowdome, so I was able to go straight onto the slope and afterwards go back to the shop to get small modifications done where the boots were pinching. Normally I would either have to suffer on holiday or take them in to some other shop in the resort to modify. Usually the shop you bought them from will do this, or at least some of it, free.
latest report
DaddyLouLou wrote:
aldoyle, Ahhh..... Black and Red boots. They always fit the best Toofy Grin

They do! My first boots were black and red Tecnicas-lasted for years. Weren't a bargain though... Twisted Evil

Congrats aldoyle, hope you enjoy them!
latest report
snowball, asbolutely - after 1.5hrs in them last night at ChillFactore, I am going to get them heat moulded this morning and a little extra work if needed....
After a couple of runs I did start to feel some ache around the lower / sole of the middle of my feet...
ski holidays
Quote:

being different sizes hardly means they were poor quality. Unless they were marked the same size but actually different.

Sorry bad wording. What I was getting at was that I (and the friend that I bought them off) were going after a bargain without really knowing what we were doing.
And yes both boots were badged as mondo 28 but holding the soles together instantly showed one was slightly bigger than the other.

This year I spent about 90 minutes in S&R in Chertsey and paid full price, after comparing 3 pairs of boots (salomon, nordica & atomic) that were recommended by the fitter (all size mondo 27). I then went and spent 2 hours at a dry ski slope.

Now has anyone got any bargain mismatched skis they want to offload on me? wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I have now realised that I had always been using the wrong boots / tightening too much etc etc etc.

That is such a great feeling isn't it? I always used to overtighten, but now I've got correctly fitted boots I feel I could ski with them undone.
Congratulations on the new boots.

Quote:

After a couple of runs I did start to feel some ache around the lower / sole of the middle of my feet...

Did you get insoles? I went for the standard Orange Superfeet ones. I was sceptical at first as to why I should spend another £40, but the fitter put one in one of the boots so I could compare with and without. With felt instantly better.
latest report
didnt get insoles, nope.
I can see him telling me to buy some when i got back to the shop today though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woohooo! Just bought me some lovely shiny new skis, movement spicy snowHead snowHead snowHead And Mr Very Nice Man at the shop gave me a discount as I pleaded poverty. Although how you can plead poverty when buying expensive skis I don't really know wink Big up to Ellis Brigham Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Picking them up this evening after work when they will have been drilled.

They will of course transform my skiing and there will be no more need for any more coaching Toofy Grin
snow report
aldoyle, I think they are the male version of my boots (Salomon Idol 8 ). Doing OK with mine so far too, just a couple of Snowdome sessions so far but no majpr pain.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 27-11-09 15:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
cathy, girly version of the Sparks I believe Smile Very nice, I look forward to meeting them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
just got back from having them heat moulded. i think they feel better, but wont know until on the slope again I guess....
is the type of pain that I am getting - around the sides / underneath my foot, generally fixed by an insole????
Is there much difference between custom + just buying one in a packet and sticking it in the boots?
snow conditions
aldoyle wrote:
is the type of pain that I am getting - around the sides / underneath my foot, generally fixed by an insole????
?

Go to Bicester or Chamonix and there is a good chance it will be fixed by an ar...... wink wink
ski holidays
Yoda, thank you very much and I hope you do Toofy Grin

Personally I'm looking forward to performing flawlessly in powder while keeping a sporty and exemplary spirit on hard snow wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Aldoyle, if it's a 'burning' sensation underfoot, it usually means it's too tight over the top, and restricting blood flow. Not everyone needs custom liners, it depends on your feet. Not neccessarily a be all and end all solution.
ski holidays
could some insoles help???
the type you buy from snowandrock etc etc????
snow conditions
Possibly - but only an expert who has seen you're feet etc can confirm it. There's alos a difference between moulded inserts (which are fine for me) and custom ones, if you have seriously messed up feet. I would say go to a shop with a reputation for good fitters, rather than slush and rubble - unless you have previous good experience form a fitter in slush and rubble. I find most of them are typical shop staff rather than trained experts (same with Ellis Brigham), but could be different near you.

You could also try just loosening the clips over the top of the boots - all these really do is keep the shell closed, it's the clips on your shins that hold your feet in the correct position. Spending some time in the boots will alos help the liners to 'pack out' a little - if you buy properly fitting boots, it is likely they will be uncomfortable for the first couple of days, as they should be as tight as possible.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

You could also try just loosening the clips over the top of the boots - all these really do is keep the shell closed, it's the clips on your shins that hold your feet in the correct position.

Sorry, but that is just not true.

I used to think the same, until I tried tightening the clips over my toes a notch or two. It made a significant difference to the precision of my control.

Plus, it makes you less likely to clench your toes, which is a bad habit I had when I was nervous or skiing close to my limits.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

It made a significant difference to the precision of my control.
Plus, it makes you less likely to clench
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Some people need help with that. Personally I think its down to technique.

I leant to ski in short lace up boots (oo-er), and never had a problem.
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

It made a significant difference to the precision of my control.
Plus, it makes you less likely to clench
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Some people need help with that. Personally I think its down to technique.

I'm sure it is Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy