Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight Delay Compensation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good news for all you poor snowHeads without private jets:

This from Travelmole...

Consumer groups have hailed as ‘historic’ a European decision to requiring airlines to compensate travellers for long flight delays.
The ruling will require airlines in the European Union to compensate victims of mass delays for which they are responsible.

Passengers who are forced to wait three hours or more will be compensated 600 euros, the same as if their flight had been cancelled, the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg decided yesterday.

Airlines will be required not to cancel a flight unless it fits strict criteria set down in the new law.

The ruling stated: “Passengers on a flight which is cancelled at short notice have a right to compensation, even when they are re-routed by the airline on another flight, if they lose three hours or more in relation to the duration originally planned."

The judges said that a technical problem with an aircraft could not be regarded as an "extraordinary circumstance", unless the problem stemmed from events which "by their nature or origin are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control".

The ruling came in a judgment clarifying a five-year-old EU regulation which grants flat-rate compensation for cancelled flights of between 250 euros and 600 euros (£223 to £535).

The judges said that regulation did not expressly provide that passengers whose flights are delayed also have such a right.

They were dealing with cases referred from German and Austrian courts in which passengers claimed compensation after facing delays.

Rochelle Turner from Which? Holiday said: “This is great news for air passengers.

“We hear all too often of people who are delayed for hours at the airport, often without any information about when their flight will finally leave, and are then offered no compensation.

“This judgment means that consumers will now be compensated properly for long and often frustrating delays, and not just when the airline takes the decision to cancel a flight.”

Global airline passenger consumer group Flyersrights.org president Kate Hanni described the decision as “an important step forward in creating a legal acknowledgment that the rights of victims, abused and ignored by the big airlines for far too long, will be given priority over the bloodless corporations that have simply taken it for granted that they engage in any behaviour, no matter how injurious it is to consumers, without fearing repercussion”.

She added: “Imagine being stuffed like a sardine in a hot metal tube, without working toilets, food or water or access to medicines for over three hours, with no rights?”

Hendrik Noorderhaven of EU Claim, FlyersRights.org European counterpart, said: “This is a historic decision for airline passengers in the EU, and in particular, any passengers travelling to the EU who suffer through anything greater than a three hour delay.

“They will now be reimbursed for this suffering with cash.”

*What are passengers currently entitled to?

* Two free phone calls, faxes or e-mails; and
* free meals and refreshments appropriate to the delay
* free hotel accommodation and hotel transfers if an overnight stay is required
* If the delay lasts for five hours or more, you can choose not to travel and get a refund of your ticket cost.

When you're entitled to it:

* When a flight under 932 miles (for example, London to Venice) is delayed for more than two hours.
* When a flight within the EU that is more than 932 miles (for example, London to Athens) is delayed for more than 3 hours.
* When a flight that isn't within the EU but is between 932 and 2,174 miles is delayed by more than 3 hours.
* When any other flight is delayed for more than four hours.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure this helps much. All airlines IMV are guilty of pulling "technicals" when it suits and if they are now prevented from doing it I'm sure there will be whole spectrum of weather related or sick passenger on previous leg excuses to take their place. In particualr for wintersports travel remember that many delays can be weather related.

Agree better information rather than cash alone would be most helpful enabling people to make better personal decisions. for me its no so much whether I get a £10 food voucher but whether I could have had a much more leaisurely trip to the airport as there was no prospect of flight being on time and accordingly no point in demanding passengers check in on time, or not having to "wait at gate" rather than having a reasonable meal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does this cover delays due to industrial action as well? I'm rather concerned about BA's possible action over the Christmas break.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The good news is hidden in the phrase about cancelling a flight being restricted to certain, legally defined, cicrumstances. Cancelling and refunding a ticket could be a 'cheap' way of managing a problem IIRC.

Having been stuck at London City for five hours, not knowing when the plane was due to leave and not being able to leave the airport despite only living ten minutes away, I know how frustrating this can be. It was only weather so no compensation..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfj197, I would have thought so as industrial action will inevitably lead to cancelled departures. But I notice it says "cancelled at short notice" without saying what "short notice" means. I bet actually getting your mits on 600 Euros will be a right old fight though.

Must admit, I switched to driving for Christmas trip when I heard about the possible BA disruption (and their ski carriage malarkey didn't help). So I can become a proper gnarly snowHead now and whinge about the price of diesel / tolls etc and bore my mates stupid about the difference between snow tyres and winter tyres and whether or not to wear my reflective vest for the entire trip just in case.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On airlines such as easyJet does this still apply if you refuse their own insurance which they push so hard?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I may have done the same in hindsight Bode Swiller! Unfortunately I had already booked the flights when they were on sale at a reduced price, before hearing about the possible disruption. I could book a refundable eurotunnel crossing to take the car if the flights are cancelled, although I've already paid for hire car from Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
On airlines such as easyJet does this still apply if you refuse their own insurance which they push so hard?

This has absolutely nothing to do with insurance.

It is what the airlines will be legally required to pay out when there are delays due to factors which are within their control.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
Agree with Alex H, and in any case, travel insurance policies normally only cover delays on the outward journey and the amount claimable is pretty small per 12 hours.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I often wonders though, whether (or how much) these pressure of mass refunds affect airlines' decision to fly a certain plane when there's a minor mechanical problem...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, think you'll find they regularly do that anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think I've posted this before but some airlines behaviour can be absolutely risible and downright duplicitous.

Was on a flight last year from US with a certain airline who shall remain nameless but they are "Straight Outta Compton". A snowstorm was due to hit the airport while we were pushing back and we therefore got in a queue for de-icing. After 3 attempts the pilot told everyone the de-icing equipment hadn't been working properly. In the meantime lots of flights taking off and landing as normal. After 3 hours on plane told airport was closing runway and we should "deplane and come back tomorrow" with no attempt to help planeful of homeless passengers many of whom were Euros returning home not locals.

Next day at airport was characterised by a major ruck from a planeful of angry passengers who were assailing any and every airline rep with complaints as the airline had overnight changed reason for delay from operational failure for which they were responsible to weather which they were not and were refusing to reimburse accomodation costs. Fortunately a few passengers had been savvy enough to print out status reports the previous evening and were happy to let photos be snapped of them. Still took me 3 months to get refunded though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, You mean the same group who have the "Message to BA" and "Approach to danger" tracks on their third album? I didn't know they had an airline but it all makes sense now. Originally I thought the lyrics were all about drugs ,sex and guns.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy