Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early skiing from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Flights booked to Geneval 12 December for 2 days skiing. Any suggestions for a resort in 2-3 hours range that might have a decent amount open that early? Was thinking maybe Saas Fee (looks ok for a weekend) or Chamonix. Thanks for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thunderer, is verbier open that early?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix will only be Grands Montets until 19th. Verbier should be fully open snow permitting - it opens officially on 28th Nov but is short of snow at the moment. Zermatt/Cervinia also (we are there that weekend). All the other big French resorts should be fully open by then.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-11-09 20:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah we went to Zermatt that week a couple of years ago. Great but looking for something new.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

All the other big French resorts should be fully open by then

but maybe keep an open mind till we see whether there's going to be any snow; nothing's certain yet so a glacier might be the best bet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nigels, Saas Fee a popular choice also. And added bonus of glacier. As Pam says might be worth waiting if you can as there's not much snow around at the moment and if it comes there could be a big difference between what falls in Saas Fee (3hrs east) vs 3v's for example (3hrs west).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobinch, pam w, thanks for the feedback. Gonna watch the snow like a hawk for the next coupole of weeks! I think it may be Saas Fee though, as have never been there, and it looks like the kinda place you would only go for a weekend (as opposed to verier, zermatt etc). One thing about the Swiss resorts is that the transfers are so easy via train. Not so sure about France or Italy as have never done a DIY weekend in either?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobinch, I'm out in Verbier on the 12th for a week , been okay that early for the last four years so fingers crossed. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobinch wrote:
Chamonix will only be Grands Montets until 19th. Verbier should be fully open snow permitting - it opens officially on 28th Nov but is short of snow at the moment. Zermatt/Cervinia also (we are there that weekend). All the other big French resorts should be fully open by then.

Bobinch - I am out at Verbier this weekend - looks like its turning colder with a bit of a dump next Sunday/Monday. Attelas/Funispace etc are meant to be going - will the pistes served by the cannons be ok?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fifespud, just for the weekend or next week also? It's been raining in the valley so there should be some fresh snow above Les Ruinettes. Snowforecast is predicting a big dump next Monday. It's unreliable this far out but if it happens and you're there you will be spoilt!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nigels, yep Switzerland is easy by train. For France you'd probably want to hire a car except for maybe Chamonix which is quite well served by flexible minibus transfers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 3 Valleys is scheduled to open on 5th December and you can drive from Geneva to there in (depending on where you go) under 2 hours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch wrote:
Fifespud, just for the weekend or next week also? It's been raining in the valley so there should be some fresh snow above Les Ruinettes. Snowforecast is predicting a big dump next Monday. It's unreliable this far out but if it happens and you're there you will be spoilt!

Bob, all week, with Warren Smith. Been looking at the long range too although the 30 odd centimeters for next Monday have been slashed Sad

It looks like just Attelas to Ruinettes open through the week which look all cannoned to me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back up to 40 now Very Happy
ski holidays
Bergmeister, i never realised the 3v's was that close. Which resort is the closest, Val Thorens?
latest report
nigels, It is not that close unless you are seriously breaking the speed limit or using the altiport wink
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
nigels, It is not that close unless you are seriously breaking the speed limit or using the altiport wink

You really can get to Les Menuires from Geneva in under two hours while remaining in the vicinity of the speed limit (I have done it, driving a very full & not overly enthusiastic hire car). And Val Thorens is only about 15 mins up the road from there...
snow report
It's quicker since the A41 opened but 2 hours to Les Menuires would need a clear run and your foot down all the way. It can easily take 4 hours on a Friday evening or a holiday weekend with the Swiss/French border, Annecy and the road up from Moutiers all potential trouble spots (especially if there's snow on the road).

3 hours to Val Thorens would be a more realistic figure - 1 hr Geneva Airport to Annecy, another hour to Moutiers and an hour up the hill. 2 hours 30 if you get a good run.
ski holidays
Quote:

1 hr Geneva Airport to Annecy

that takes less time now, with the new road, but I'd agree that 2.5 - 3 hours to Val Thorens is more realistic. It can take quite a while to get through Annecy and down the v e r y slow road to Ugine. Then it's fast to Moutiers and the new "voie sur berges" road in Albertville helps reduce the holdups there. But maybe it's quicker (though more expensive) on the much longer but faster motorway through Chambery?
snow conditions
Jo225 wrote:
Roy Hockley wrote:

You really can get to Les Menuires from Geneva in under two hours while remaining in the vicinity of the speed limit (I have done it, driving a very full & not overly enthusiastic hire car). And Val Thorens is only about 15 mins up the road from there...

Ditto - I could regulary do Plan-Peisey in 2 hours- 2 hours 5 minutes from GVA last season - sure this was never at peak times but who wants to travel at peak times on the N90? I can't see how it would take much longer to get to lower 3v resorts.
snow report
Can anyone comment on the train to Visp? I hear there is now a new tunnel and this train is shorter than last year?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy