Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Skis for Smaller Women

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm an advanced intermediat skiier - I ski some expert slopes depending on conditions. I generally ski single diamonds out West but less so back East due to the ice. I'm very much not good enough to race, but I do very much like speed. I'm mostly on-piste with a little bit of guided backcountry when I can. In the past, I had trouble, even with women's skis, in that I wasn't quite heavy enough to get the ski to Flex when I wanted it to. I'm 5' tall and fluctuate between 102-107 lbs. - pretty liliputian! I'm in moderately good shape but super athletic. I don't get to ski as much as I'd like so I've been demo'ing or renting, but I'm now ready to get a new pair. Last year I demoed some Rossy Experience 78 Carbons - it was just for a day with fairly icy/crappy conditions at Stowe. I felt like they had decent speed and I had pretty good control. But I'm seeing some very mediocre reviews here about intermediates outgrowing them or a lot of chatter in certain conditions (but also for people way larger than me), and I've not tried them on powder. Any thoughts re: these skis for smaller people, or great models for small people?

The advice here is great so I thank you all in advance re: your experiences.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ignore reviews, Rossignol don’t make rubbish skis. If you like them, buy them! If in doubt, test, test, test and test some more. You are unique, no one can (or should) tell you what’s best for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might check out the Head "Joy" range, if you stay mostly On Piste - and if you can demo them, pick the model and length you prefer (which I suspect is around 150 - 155). https://www.head.com/en_GB/ski/skis/women.html?htm_series=Joy

Given you do some Back Country, the Total Joy has an 85 waist and the Absolute Joy has an 80 waist, which would help a little. They both come in a 148 and a 153.

There is nothing wrong with Rossignol and the Experience range is well regarded - though I would look at the 82 (151) or 86 (148) Basalt version. They are Piste oriented All Mountain skis (or AM Frontside ski, as I think they are called with you). There is a Ti version, which is stiffer - but at your weight, I'd be surprised if you needed that.

https://www.rossignol.com/gb-en/womens-all-mountain-skis-experience-w-82-basalt--xpress--RAMFS04000.html

https://www.rossignol.com/gb-en/womens-all-mountain-skis-experience-w-86-basalt--konect--RAMFQ02000.html

BTW. Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get on the mailing lists or social media of your preferred or local resorts to find out about any ski tests they may be holding. There are often some early season, though they continue through the winter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you both for the very helpful comments! Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajoh13, being in the USA you get a lot more demo days than happen this side of the pond, as someone suggested above get on a mailing list with the companies or a retailer you like and fins out when demo days are happening, this will give you the opportunity to try several skis back to back with some guidance of what to try from the brand tech reps and the shop staff

there are no really bad skis out there, only ones that don't suit your skiing and biomechanics
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks - that's a great point. It had not occured to me to reach out the the brand reps so I could schedule around those!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajoh13, If you want skis for East Coast ice then maybe consider race skis. A pair of junior SL skis could work for you and would be cheaper than adult skis, have no idea whether they would be available at demo days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi ajoh13. I am 152 cm tall, 110lbs, skied 40 years. I ski in New Zealand which has similar east coast icy conditions with occasional powder. I wanted "All mountain/Frontside" so got Rossignol Experience 88, 153cm long - wanting to do more ungroomed/off piste. These have done me well. Can turn them in the bumps and can manoeuvre in powder to 10-20 cm deep, mid shin deep.
If you are more on piste, then go demo a Rossi Exp 84.
All the best.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, if you are getting "chatter", you need to look at your technique too! I recommend a high performance lesson.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Freerider, interesting you suggest junior race skis for us short women. I am after a good slalom ski to get cranking carving turns with pencil thin tracks on new corduroy, but have noticed the high performance slalom skis are too long for me. I am 152cm tall, 110lbs, pretty strong so looking at Rossignol Hero Athlete SL 150cm - this is junior race ski ( nonFIS). Can't demo them but looking at buying second hand. Friend pointed out that they may be "too soft", being made specifically for Under 16 yr old racer ( Heros are unisex skis, I think I am lighter and less strong than a 14 year old teenage boy). Would you comment on this?
Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajoh13, people originally skied on wooden skis with no wax. This is a good reminder that it is not about the tools you use, unless you are competing at a very high level, it is about what suits you.

If you want a pair of skis which will last you a long time, and just work, just follow the rules and get a good brand. Trying to be too technical, will over power you with red herrings and misinformation.

Find a shop that sells skis, go in and they will sell you what you need. Try not to DIY if you are a first time buyer, you will end up with a cheap pair which will not suit you. (these are really for people who do not want a long term relationship with their skis)

People on here might have multiple pairs of skis, because they just do not know what they want and they think the problem is with the skis.

You are small and light and will float on powder without any skis!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigtipper, "people originally skied on wooden skis with no wax"

yeah, and there were prescribed blood loss volumes for e.g. consumption, hysteria and goitre.

Doesn't indicate good ideas Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44226&highlight=

This thread indicates how you need to weed out the important elements.

1. boots & fitting
2. serviced skis of size appropriate to your weight, ability, and height
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajoh13 wrote:
I generally ski single diamonds out West but less so back East due to the ice. .

Given the US context, suggest you get yourself over to the SkiDivas site & ask over there. The women there discuss ski choice at great length & do excellent writeups of their (often self organized) demo days. There are a number of instructors in the group, so it's generally a good crowd for drawing out what you really need.

Fwiw, I'm a little larger at 5'1" and 120lbs and love my Volkl Yumis for all conditions at Whistler, where I am mostly a on-piste skier, but I handle my occasional forays into bowls & trees just fine with them. They're generally much loved by the petite crew among the Divas. I notices Volkl is offereing them in an 80mm waist as well as the traditional 84mm this year.
snow conditions
Atomic Maven 86 (2024 model) at 147cm.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy