Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Watching the Hahnenkamm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

It's my 30th on the 22nd Jan which is the Friday of the Hahnenkamm race weekend. I've wanted to go for years, but the thought of actually staying in a very crowded Kitbuhel really puts me off. I'm thinking a long weekend in Westendorf might be brilliant since we could ski in the Ski Welt for a couple of days and then ski over to Kitzbuhel to watch a race.

What I wanted to know is has anyone ever gone to watch it?

Is skiing through the Kitzbuhel piste/lift network viable on race weekend or is it just far too busy?

For instance would it be possible to ski over in the morning watch some afternoon racing and get a taxi back to Westendorf in the night?

Does the Ski Welt get really busy that weekend too with over flow from Kitzbuhel?

Any other tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Duncan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a day trip to Kitbuhel this year from Saalbach on the Saturday of the Hahnenkamm (The Super G Race day) although we hadn't realised it was on until we got there. There were large crowds there to watch the race but apart from the pistes close to the race course every where was open to ski and we had a great day. In fact most of the runs were really quiet because most people were there to watch the racing. I would expect it will be easy to ski over from Westendorf. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am going to Saalbach from 20th to 25th January and plan to go and watch the Hahnenkamn.

I also heard from a mate who went this year that the crowds at the race were big, but the surrounding ski areas were almost empty.

I am sure you will be fine skiing from Westendorf (one of my favourite ski areas of the Ski Welt)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obsessed_intermediate,

Yep, been a couple of times, there are three race days, Super G on the Friday, Downhill on Saturday and Slalom on Sunday. you'll need to be there earlier in the day though as, slalom apart, the races will be a good as over by 1pm. If your on skis you be able to get a good vantage point further up the course.

If you want to see the race and enjoy a day out in Kitzbuhel then go on the Friday as it is busy with a good atmosphere, but not packed. The Saturday is very busy with estimated crowds of 50,000 and you can hardly move in Kitz. The atmosphere is fantastic but just a bit too busy for my liking.

The rest of the skiwelt wil not be any busier than normal as most people travel to the event on the day. To put the downhill in context it is the Austrian equivalent of the cup final.

Here's a link http://www.hahnenkamm.com/cms/en/welcome/welcome/index.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Guys,

I think I will definitely book my flights to Munich then. My birthday is the Friday so watching the super G sounds like a plan.

Cheers Duncan
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
robboj wrote:
Obsessed_intermediate,

If your on skis you be able to get a good vantage point further up the course.

I wanted to go in 2007 when I was staying at Going in the Ski Welt, that was the year it was cancelled (except the slalom) due to lack of snow, bummer!

I was wondering:

Where is the best vantage point higher up the course? Near one of the jumps? Do you still have to pay the entry fee or is that just for the finish area?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obsessed_intermediate, I've watched it a few times. The best place to stand is just below the Mausefalle at the entrance to the Steilhang. From there you can watch them jump the 60m over the Mausefalle, then listen to the thunder ( literally ) as they fight for grip on the right hander leading into the Steilhang. That's where it becomes clear that what they are skiing on is a plate of sheet ice Shocked I tried skiing down the steilhang once after the race... not good, not good at all!

The best bit about race day though is the fact that the rest of the ski area is completely empty Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Obsessed_intermediate, I did similar for my 40th a couple of years ago and would do exactly the same again, it was fantastic.

We stayed just down the road in Oberndorf, which has a direct gondola lift connection to the St Johnann Ski Area - the hotel we stayed at was a stones throw from the lift so convenient for local skiing. 5 mins walk from the hotel is the train station which has regular services to Kitzbuhel, about a 10 minute journey whihc drops you right by the Hahnenkamm lift. Skiing in Kitzbuhel on race weekend was very quiet with almost all of the runs open and in great condition (except the Hahnenkamm, of course).

The day after the race, parts of the Hahnenkamm were open and I was able to ski at first hand just how treacherously steep and icy some of the sections were. If you don't have huge respect for these guys after watching the race, you sure will when you see close up what they are hurtling down. Like many sports, TV does not do it justice at all.

The race day itself is superb, a magical atmosphere in town, although the bars charge stupid prices just to get in.

Another highlight was watching the racers the night before the race at the bib selection and award ceremonies, several thousand people crowded onto a hill at the bottom of the Hahnenkamm slope, superb atmosphere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That sounds like a great idea. Never been to Kitz or anywhere else in Austria yet but at the World Championships this year we were based in Tignes. Skied over to Val to watch the men's and women's downhills. No problems with access.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice guys. A plan is very rapidly forming.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will be in Zell am See for this year's Hahnenkamm & a group of us are considering going. I'd like to not miss a day skiing, so does anyone know if it's possible to bring skis & watch the race? I'm just thinking of logistics. I'll have a car but I'm thinking the train is probably better for getting there. So I guess we could bring skis on the train. But what if we just wanted to watch the race? Could we store the skis somewhere? Obviously in normal circumstances we probably could, but I'm thinking it may just be easier to go & watch the race. Ideally I'd like to get there early & watch. Then maybe ski in the afternoon for a bit when the race is done. Has anyone ever done this? Anyone with experience being there would be helpful. I really want to go for the event, but alas, I can't miss a ski day!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
farlep99, take your skis with you, there are lockers in the sport shop located in the Hahnenkamm lift station. Watch the race then ski Kitzbuhel in the afternoon, the slopes will be nice n quiet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Evening all.

I've got my flights booked and accommodation for the Hahnenkamm. Can anyone advise if you need to book a ticket in advance or can I get them on the day? Do oyu have to buy a ticket to watch it all along its length or can you simply ski up and watch it?

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get tickets on the day at the various gates to get into the spectator area which runs alongside the course (they sell them both at the bottom and at the top of the course if you ski across). There will be cheery Austrians painted red and white drinking Stroh rum from about 8am and by mid afternoon they will be rolling down the slopes scooting past Bernie Ecclestone and the like. By 5pm the streets of Kitz will be jammed with hooting supporters, bands, stalls and beer stands. The Londoner will have bouncers and queues, don't imagine you'll be able to move if you get inside. Most of the smart hotels will be hosting glitzy parties for Austrian companies, politicians and celebs. It's all great fun. Just don't plan on having a quite night...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy