Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for good "women's ski" instruction/programs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Male family members having fun on reds & easy blacks. Mum never happily progressed from snow plough turns. Would be great to ski as family ...

We've only skied in Europe.

Any reports of good programs? US, Canada? Some of the N American programs seem to be more committed to getting clients of any ability going.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aiguille-verte, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aiguille-verte,
Welcome to snowHead 's
You may find this thread of interest.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54987

Many on snowHead including myself will attest to the quality of instruction. I am not a particularly nervous/cautious (or gung ho) skier but those who are are very enthusiastic.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
aiguille-verte, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

The Just For Women clinic/course at Squaw (Lake Tahoe, California) cateres for all ability levels - it's also taught by female instructors so there are no male egos to be contended with. Most of the major US resorts will have something similar and all will be able to reccomend female instructors, or male instructors who are good with nervous women! In the US the ski school is attached to the resort so the resort website will be the best place to look. Good Luck!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aiguille-verte, but what does Mum herself think? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
aiguille-verte, Lauralee Bowie - www.skiadventures.net Probably means you have to go to Whistler though. Shame.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aiguille-verte, Welcome to snowHead 's.
You could try Annie Donovan. She organises some female only courses and some of our clients have come back with glowing reports.
http://www.anniedonovan.co.uk/
She mixes some work with a ski school, with some private courses of her own, and some through "Inspired to Ski" & "Mountain Tracks".
Various resorts are used.
Hope that helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aiguille-verte, I will second T Bar, in recommending our week with Easiski in Les Deux Alpes. I help organise it, so I suppose I am biased! Seriously though, it could be just what Mum would enjoy and be able to really look forward to, knowing there'd be others who are at the same standard. From what you say I am similar - I've got as far as plough-parallel turns, with the odd fully parallel one when the going's good. We have a 2-hour lesson each day, with no more than 4 people in a lesson so there is plenty of individual attention. Last year quite a few of those in the lessons had friends/family on the trip too and that worked brilliantly as there was never someone without anyone to ski with. It also would mean that outside lessons Mum would be free to ski with you, with or without new-found friends. I did a blog of the trip last year which she might like to look at. PM me if you want more detail. http://hp57.blogspot.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, the LDA week would be terrific. But..... I'd still like to know what Mum thinks. Butterfly is a highly motivated learner - this is the second such week she's organised. I love skiing, and do my best to persuade all kinds of reluctant friends that they would love it too. But the sad fact remains that there are some people, who have given it a go, and decided quite firmly that it's not for them. For someone who would really like to improve, but just isn't convinced they ever can - easiski is the answer (and a lot cheaper than going to Whistler. wink ).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you so much for all the advice!

@ pam_w = I know exactly what you mean, but I may have met some instructors who have not improved matters.

Had not heard of Lauralee Bowie. Researching her courses, came across a quote: "... it comes down to one factor: intimidation. Women like my camps because they're not intimidating."
Thanks for all the info.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I may have met some instructors who have not improved matters.

Absolutely - the quality of instruction is specially critical for older people I think, and those not super-confident. which is why people asking on snowheads about which resort to choose are often advised to find a really good ski school as their first criterion. But no matter how good the instruction, the learner needs to have a certain degree of motivation to make good use of it. It also helps a lot to be with other people who share the same fears, rather than having other family members prancing round looking impressive. wink I do think women are good at supporting each other, and having a laugh, rather than being competitive but I don't see "all female" courses as absolutely necessary - there are nervous and uncoordinated male learners too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
I do think women are good at supporting each other, and having a laugh, rather than being competitive but I don't see "all female" courses as absolutely necessary - there are nervous and uncoordinated male learners too.
I totally agree. For me, the important thing is that the company is encouraging and doesn't either try to push me to do things that are beyond me or put me down for not being "on the black yet".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy