Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi guys I'm new. Some help please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys. I'm new one here so i hope this is the right place to post this. If not could a moderator please move it.

I will start by appoligising for my ignorance! But I am seeking advice from you!

Basically I'm a good skiier and I want to buy some skis. I have skied countless amounts of time but have always hired the stuff. So to be honest I have no Idea what I am looking for! The reason I'm chosing to buy now is because I am going before X-mas, in February and for four weeks in New Zealand next summer. So I think it will work out at a similar price just to buy it all!

So what do I look for? I think I like the idea of a twin tipped ski because I always end up in the snow parks and the hire skis just don't cut it. They aren't very forgiving on the jumps and pipes. But, really I want something that will do me on the piste and off it too! What would you recomend?

I'm not sure whether you need this information but the hire shops always ask!
I am about 5ft9ins.
Weight roughly 11.5 stones.
I think thats all they ever ask for?

What type of lengths should I be looking at?
Any recommendations for skis?
Any recommendations for boots?

I expect that I'll get something second hand. I have no idea really but I think £250-300 for a second hand set is about right? Plus money for boots on top!

Thanks for your help guys!

Tom.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tom crits, You're about the same height and weight as myself so I'll link to the ski's I demo'd when I was looking last year (getting a little out of date now though). Liberty Hazmat is another good one... and maybe try the bamboo core New Zealand skis from Kingswood when you're over there. Mojo's skied sweet as well.

Demo.. demo... demo... Toofy Grin You really need to try various models.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1115221&highlight=nordica+enforcer#1115221
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't buy second hand boots. Find a ski shop and spend a couple of hours as a minimum test fitting. If you buy boots from fleabay you will just be hoping for the best, but you probably wont get it. After a few weeks of stinky ill fitting hire boots I couldn't believe the difference that a properly fitted pair of boots made. Warm comfortable feet with much more feeling between snow and brain. The guy in the shop had me try on probably 15 pairs of boots. Some of them hurt to wear at all, some of them hurt to wear for 15 minutes, and eventually the first pair he recommended were purchased. A good boot fitter will change your skiing forever. No idea about buying second had skis though, but you probably want an option to test them first
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the link!

No no. I won't be buying second hand boots. The closest shop to me is around an hour and a half away so I thought I would rig myself up with some knowledge before I went looking for boots! I think I'll get some boots relatively soonish then.

So a recommendation would be to demo some on the trip before X-mas. Then try and blag them as an xmas pressent from the parents?! How do you go about demoing skis? Do it through a hire shop and just have different ones each day type of thing?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ellis Brigham offer free demo skis at Braehead Snozone and it's probably the same for the rest. This let's you demo a few skis in identical conditions.

Abroad, if you hire premium skis you'll often get the option to swap them as often as you want. If you buy from the hire shop then you'll may be offered the cost of hire as a discount on the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tom crits, Having done a season in NZ I can tell you that 2nd hand quality skis can be purchased there dirt cheap. I can even recommend a few places. Also they often have free demo days up on the mountains too so you can try a number of pairs for free!

Boots are easily more important and a lot easier to transport so my advice would be to buy a decent pair of boots now. Then rent on your first couple of short trips (it will give you a chance to try a few different skis out) and no hassle with transportation or costs. I would then purchase skis for your 4 weeks in New Zealand once you get there. This way you have no transport costs to and from NZ and most shops will buy them back off you if it's early enough in the season when you leave.

A few months back I got a decent pair of Atomic SX9 in near perfect condition for $450 NZ dollars - about £170 and sold them back to the shop 2 months later for $250 NZ dollars. So I had two months 'rental' for about £90! This may be the best way for you.

NB snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tom crits, Did my first Demo day last week at Milton Keynes, it really is a great way to try out lots of different skis. Ellis Brigham had a great set up where they had loads of demo skis in the equipment hire area. Each ski brand had their own rep and you could swap and change as often as you like. From all the ones I tried there were two I particularly got on with so I aim to try these again, for a longer period each, to see which I will eventually go for. I would like to try them on proper snow though so I might save it till my hol, though it might be more expensive due to the exchange rate (Euro) rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tom crits, You can get a brand new pair of scott punishers for £300 ib. They'll be 08/09 season but exactly the same at 09/10 model but with old graphics. Demo the new ones and look online for last season, if you like them. I've seen loads about.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jzBun wrote:
tom crits, You can get a brand new pair of scott punishers for £300 ib. They'll be 08/09 season but exactly the same at 09/10 model but with old graphics. Demo the new ones and look online for last season, if you like them. I've seen loads about.

Theyre the best graphics too, the new graphics suck ass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if your going before Christmas and the snow is iffy, then you may be best off hiring.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Tom,

Just reading all of this, boots are the most important part of your equipment, then the skis. I would reachers ski shops at the resort your going to ask a ski insturctor were you can a get good boot fit. With the ski I see people show up for lessons in the mountains with everything from hi end race skis to big fat powder boards and they have alsort of trouble. Get a ski that easy to turn has a turn raduis of 16 to 18 meter and can ski everything well look for somthing along these line 126-80-108 this is about a 17 meter turn radius
great equipment website rockymountaingearguide.com

Good luck
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy