Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No High Altitude in 2010

Poster: A snowHead
The BBC2 programme High Altitude has apparently been cancelled.

According to Ed Leigh on the Snowboarder Club UK. Just searching on google for ski threads and came up with this:

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-36384-postdays-0-postorder-asc.html

"Sadly the show has been canned, a new controller stepped in for BBC2 in May and coming from BBC4 we were seen as bit laddy and low brow for her, plus in her defence there are hundreds of shows waiting for their shot all the time and she went with last in, first out.

On the up side there will be a two one offs, one I watched yesterday that would have been the first episode of this winters series (because of the Olympics we needed to get going early) but then got canned so it's now a stand alone called Arctic Man, Go Fast or Go Home and I'm pretty pleased with that.

The other one is a much more 'high brow' exploration of British Columbia as a back ground build up to the Olympics, I think in a bid to show the new controller we can do mature. Should be interesting...

Obviously I'm gutted, it was the dream job, but at the same time I still feel very lucky to have shot one episode let alone a whole series.

And to clear up the debate about the series and the Ski Sunday pieces you are both right. It was the first series of High Altitude, but in a bid to trail the series and get it out there they re-cut all the films I had made for Ski Sunday the year before and put them out as ten minute shorts under the High Altitude banner.

Thanks for the support and sorry it's not better news. On the upside if you've seen any of the NZ Open pipe footage you'll know that the prospect of the Olympics is pant wettingly exciting.

Cheers

Ed "
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its always good to have skiing and boarding on TV but It was a bit of a joke. Which pointless challenge can we think up this week? I particularly liked the ice climbing in patagonia out of an inflatable dinghy!

Disclaimer: I'm just jealous they got paid for it! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats great ...........why do we bother paying our licence fee???????? Puzzled Skullie Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame about the show...but can't stand that annoying Ed Leigh Tbh he is a real pratt!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottishskier, I think pointless challenges are where the action sports genre always ends up. The same is true to a lesser extent with travel. There isn't any getting round the fact that some things are a bunch more fun to do than watch.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I liked it. The challenges were a bit daft, but it gave you a chance to look at snow covered mountains on something better quality than a web cam. I preferred Ski Sunday the previous year though. I think once they split the 'pure sport' and 'pure entertainment' neither program was as watchable.

Next thing you know they will drop Top Gear - not really a car program any more - just three middle aged blokes acting the tit - hugely funny though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't believe you lot.

What would you film, endless footage of someone surviving blue runs in Corcheval?

The format was good, OK a couple of dodgy ones were in there, but it was on the snow and it was all entertaining. Most of it was excellent. Just wait until you see the 'doing your house up' or 'selling rubbish from yer loft' programme they replace it with.

This is a real shame and, even for BBC2, tv programmes moving more towards council house couch potato couches just makes me realise why I now watch less than 2 hours tv a week, other than news programmes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mmmmm Jodie Kidd, worth the license fee alone
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker wrote:
I can't believe you lot.

What would you film, endless footage of someone surviving blue runs in Corcheval?

To some extent, yes.

I would love a programme like a Holiday show covering a different major resort each week, plus some race coverage, plus interviews with British snowsports stars, plus "life in the mountains" (the truth about life as a seasonnaire/lifty/instructor/chalet host etc) plus (occasionally) Ed or a Bell or whoever making a prat of themselves in the cold. That could fill 30-45 minutes easy - stick it on BBC2 Sunday evening (not to late) and you'd get a good chunk of the UK snowsports enthusiasts tuning in, which for that time would give you good viewing figures, I would have thought.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really liked it last time round, shame it's not on again
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyph wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
I can't believe you lot.

To some extent, yes.

I would love a programme like a Holiday show covering a different major resort each week, plus some race coverage, plus interviews with British snowsports stars, plus "life in the mountains" (the truth about life as a seasonnaire/lifty/instructor/chalet host etc) plus (occasionally) Ed or a Bell or whoever making a prat of themselves in the cold. That could fill 30-45 minutes easy - stick it on BBC2 Sunday evening (not to late) and you'd get a good chunk of the UK snowsports enthusiasts tuning in, which for that time would give you good viewing figures, I would have thought.

Sounds good to me too!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gutted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dk100 wrote:
andyph wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
I can't believe you lot.

To some extent, yes.

Sounds good to me too!!

Holiday programme for snow... I like the idea but HA could have reached critical mass this year. Ski and boarding tips could be in there too.

Instead, we will probably have some rubbish that will appeal to 2% of the population... and none of us. I will miss it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always thought HA was weak as hell...it made me faintly embarrassed to be into snowsports (it had some decent segments to be fair, but it was too annoying and faux-cool). Still, I think I'd rather they had some kind of regular snowsports programme on than nothing...I guess they can get away with it this year because the Olympics will be on (it *will* be on, won't it?!).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually I would go for that resort a week thing aswell, I'm a recreational skier the only thing I think about 6 months of the year is where I should be going to get my fix of standard skiing and apres. I'm always fascinated to watch what the loonies are doing on the mountains but extreme skiing vids and stuff are ten a penny.....quality information is impossible to find.
latest report
bar shaker wrote:
I can't believe you lot.

The format was good, OK a couple of dodgy ones were in there, but it was on the snow and it was all entertaining. Most of it was excellent. Just wait until you see the 'doing your house up' or 'selling rubbish from yer loft' programme they replace it with.

This is a real shame and, even for BBC2, tv programmes moving more towards council house couch potato couches just makes me realise why I now watch less than 2 hours tv a week, other than news programmes.

Indeed, the episode where Ed went back country off the back of the Grande Motte glacier with that snowboard/ski combo thingy and Bell had to ski through several resorts and was shocked to find the Vanoise express closed, was a particular fauvorite.
ski holidays
Genuinely disappointed it's been canned Sad
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
I can't believe you lot.

Couldn't agree more, it was the novelty factor of what the guys were up to each week that kept the show interesting, not 'here is another blue/red/black run'. Most of us would watch Top Gear for less.

The BBC's pursuit of ratings is a sad sign of it's inevitable decline.
ski holidays
ChrisWo wrote:
I guess they can get away with it this year because the Olympics will be on (it *will* be on, won't it?!).

Yes.

It isn't until the next one that they lose "crown jewel" status (assuming the proposals are adopted).
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
"crown jewel" status

Odd way to describe it. Isn't that another word for bollux? rolling eyes
snow report
maggi, I think the phrase you're thinking of is family jewels! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, is it? I'm trying not to think about it at all now! Embarassed Laughing
latest report
I have to confess ... I am a little bit in love with Graham Bell. I'm going to have to write a stern letter of complaint to the BBC and demand my licence fee back!
snow report
I agree, at the very worst it was an hour of mountains, snow and sliding and I will miss it Sad

As for the BBC - the Tories will butcher it in revenge for its years of Nu-lie-bore love in Shocked

Five years from now there will be a much smaller public service, news and information channel that is government funded and free to air. The rest of it will be a subscription channel(s) on satellite or cable competing for subscriptions like everything else wink
ski holidays
I really enjoyed High Altitude. As someone who watches very little tv (because I think most of it is just plain rubbish) I found High Altitude a nice change. It was at the very least a window into the mountains which for some of us is always welcome.
latest report
maggi wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
"crown jewel" status

Odd way to describe it. Isn't that another word for bollux? rolling eyes

It is the official term, as far as I can tell, for the sporting events which are required to be made available on free terrestrial TV.

There were proposals produced by the consultation group last week for changes to the list, so be applied from (I think) 2014, and one of the proposed changes was to remove the winter olympics.
ski holidays
Another disappointed punter here. Point taken about some of the challenges, but they weren't all silly
The best one IMHO was when they failed to climb Mont Blanc - interesting stuff about how altitude sickness can get you even if you are young and fit.

Snowshine's mention of Top Gear got me thinking - perhaps they should get the TG production team to do a snowsports show. Clarkson skis a bit, doesn't he?
Then someone else could do the more factual type of show andyph outlined above and we could have lots of heated arguments here about which show was best! Very Happy
ski holidays
Snowsports are far too niche to command the airtime of any sensible channel controller. Except for those Winter X-games things at 3am, when there's no Nascar.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy