Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 4 straight days of boarding in Whistler (14, 15, 16, 17). Basically, if you do not yet know where you're going for a holiday, I would not suggest Whistler, as you could almost certainly find better snow elsewhere. However, if you do have a vaction booked, all is not lost. The majority of the runs are open and well groomed, and the snowmaking is going full blast. It's not that there is no snow, but there is no new snow, so there are quite alot of icy patches. I lost my edge on ice quite a few times, so make sure your edges are good and sharp before heading out. On the bright side, the weather was beautiful - warm but not too warm (still always below freezing), very sunny, and not a cloud seen in the whole 4 days (that I can remember). Also, there is still powder to be found - but it generally involves tougher terrain and a bit of a hike. Spanky's Ladder on Blackcomb had cut-up but still nice powder. The Flute Bowl, though a 20-30 min hike in and a 10 min hike out, was fantastic - definitely my favourite part of the trip. I highly suggest giving Flute Bowl a try if you haven't yet. Some of the powder is untouched, but most is cut up - still great though, very deep and surfy. My friend also said that the Cirque on Whistler was great (I was nowhere near balsy/skilled enough to try this though - I really shouldn't even have been on Spanky's Ladder). Be warned though that the Cirque is only for experts - if you are not a very good skier/boarder you likely will hurt yourself and have a not very fun time. Also, getting to the start Spanky's can be a little scary - not something I would suggest if you are afraid of heights. I would suggest Flute bowl for everyone though - if you want a relaxed ride you can simply drop in before you get all the way up, and if you want exhileration you can drop of some very big cornices at the top of the bowl.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ponder, thanks for the report. I fly out to Vancouver next Tuesday for 10 days at Whistler - the condos all paid for in advance so no option to look elsewhere unfortunately. Just checked the 6 day forecast and looks like it's staying clear and sunny until next Weds at least Sad . So fingers crossed for some new snow late next week.

I haven't felt up to Spanky's on previous trips, but hoping to have a crack at it and Cirque this time. I'm planning to book a 2 day clinic with Extremely Canadian - maybe over next weekend. Be nice to have some new powder to really make it worthwhile.

I've done three weeks in Whistler and I don't think I've seen two whole days of sun in that time, never mind 4 on the run.

Better work on those edges to get them good and sharp this weekend. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnnyrotten, while Spanky's is a bit scary to get to, the Cirque is a much more dangerous run (the Cirque has a super-steep, narrow, semi-icy chute). I would suggest Spanky's over the Cirque if you haven't done either. When you get off the Harmony (I think) lift, and head left over to Spanky's, make sure you stay as high as possible. I didn't do this and was forced to take off my snowboard and shimmy over quite precariously to the start of the "ladder." Also, from talking to friends who did both Spanky's and the Cirque on the trip, it sounds like Spanky's has significantly more powder.
But I would highly suggest Flute Bowl over either Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I loved Spanky's in Whistler, got enticed up there by the chalet girls. The hardest part about it is the climb up the ladder, once you're over in the bowls on the other side it's not too bad, and usually good quality powder.

Sad to hear that Whistler is still having a poor season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ponder, Spankys is off the Glacier chair to the left (Harmony chair is on Whistler wink )
Not sure about how exactly you'd get out from the bowls off Spanky's ladder, looking from the road on the Glacier it looks like there's a creek to cross, haven't done it yet this season.
Good snow on the Blackcomb Glacier (well there was last week), and the blowhole is pretty easy due to the snow shortage making it slightly wider than usual (guess it's a psychological thing Confused snowHead ) Though the road out was pretty ropey.

johnnyrotten, I'm doing an extremely Canadian that weekend too, see you there. Also doing it this weekend so if I survive I'll let you know what's in good shape.
If you are planning on doing spankys ladder try and go with someone who knows where they are going

Kramer, despite being the worst snow ever and needing a big dump soon, there's still loads of good snow and skiing to be had, I'm doing 6 days a week and still not bored yet snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oooh stuarth, good luck with your Extremely, please let me know how you get on, who you have, etc. You'll have a blast, I'm sure. they are all quite potty!

Kramer, I agree, poor snow by whistler standards is still pretty darn good. snowHead

27 sleeps, and counting...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth, I'm going to book with Extremely either next w/e or Mon/Tues the week after, not decided yet. I was going to wait until I got out there and see about the conditions but you've got me all fired up now and I may book it in advance over the web today! Good to know that there's enough good skiing to make the clinic worthwhile even without new snow. Enjoy those steeps!

ponder or stuarth, where's the entry and the ski-out of Flute Bowl? The only description I've heard said 'past Piccolo' so I'm assuming a long walk/traverse going left from the top of Harmony and then Flute is past Symphony bowl and the old ski area boundary? Flute is now 'in-bounds' and patrolled, right?

Just pulled the trail map out and I'm just itching to go now. I'd forgotten just how much mountain there is at W-B.....3 more days to go... snowHeadsnowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The route out to flute is as you said just past piccolo off burnt stew trail to the right, it takes about half an hour to get to the top of flute, the ski-out is more a ski out and walk up a bit back to near the end of burnt stew trail. Flute is now patrolled and avalanche controlled, still feels kind of out of the ski area boundary though snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnnyrotten, it's very easy to get to Flute - just follow Burnt Stew Trail until you see a massive wooden upside-down "U" you jus go through it and follow a well troden path to the bowl. The bottom of the bowl links up with Burnt Stew again, so it's easy to get out also.
Flute Bowl is quite popular, so you are not getting virgin powder. However, the powder is nice and deep despite being cut up. I found it very nice, especially when contrasted with icy runs Smile
stuarth, yeah, I guess I meant Glacier Chair Smile And the ski-out from Spanky's is easy, you hook up with a cat track at the bottom. However, this cat track is about 5 km I think. The whole Blackcomb Glacier has pretty decent powder.
Kramer, indeed, Spanky's is not particularly difficult if you are a decent powder skier. It does have some pretty steep bits, but they aren't chutes or anything scary like that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy