Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So where in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone! snowHead So I recently moved to Vienna and I have a friend visiting me for a few days in 1st week of December. This presents an opportunity for a little 2-3 day ski break!

So where should we go? Requirements are;

1) SNOW!!!! Where's the best bet early December?
2) As close to Vienna as possible (flexible on this if I have to be)
3) Size - only 2-3 days so it doesn't need to be huge. 3 intermediate/advanced skiers so would need mainly reds/blacks.
4) Nightlife/restaurants not important.
5) Cheap accomodation.

So thoughts? I recall a snowhead living in a ski resort and having a guesthouse in Austria but can't remember who and where! Ski Amade looks great and I think it (or parts of it) are already open. Zillertal maybe?

Cheers NB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh and i know it's asking alot but ski in ski out would be grand rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zillertal is about 5 hours drive from Vienna. There's sure to be somewhere closer to you if you're only wanting 2-3 days away.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NomadicBoo, Whilst I'm a great fan of the Zillertal, given your location in Vienna the Ski Amade region south from Salzburg is closer and is also an excellent ski region. The Snowhead you were referring to living in the region is flangesax - I've never met him or stayed at his place, but several other Snowheads have with favourable comments. His website is:
http://www.austrian-adventures.com/

HTH
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obertauern would probably be within reasonable distance - maybe 3 and 1/2 hours - and is opening already. You can ski in ski out there but I doubt it'd be cheap Smile

K
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, Thanks!

*Katja*, Just had a look at Obertauern and it's now on the list of maybe's!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
*Katja*, Welcome to snowHead

NomadicBoo,
Actually if you are driving flangesax is based in Radstadt I believe which is not that far from Obertauern, we drove down to Radstadt to do the shopping when we stayed in Obertauern as the local groceries were not that exciting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NomadicBoo, Obertauern would be a good bet, and yes it's pretty close to flangesax's place in Radstadt. There is also loads of accommodation in Obertauern, but it is more expensive to stay up there, and they don't seem to do as many early season deals up there. Staying in Radstadt would give you a bit more flexibility, as assuming you are driving, you could spend a day in one of the other resorts like Zauchensee which is just up the road, and I am sure you would get excellent value for money.

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Vienna.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's not many resorts really close to vienna, but if you want somewher close, and with reliable snow then you could do a lot worse than head tp the Ski Amade area, which includes Dachstein (glacier=snowsure) gastein, schladming etc. http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/ apparently its 3 hours by road or there is a direct train to the area, though i don't know to which resort...check out the website it could be an option.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:

is not very comprehensive or very accurate...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

is not very comprehensive or very accurate...

I have just had another look at it and will revise my above statement....

is not at all comprehensive and is totally inaccurate!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My two tried and tested resorts in Austria,
Ischgl, hell of a long way from Vienna, bit glitzy nowadays. Obertauern, always snowy never fails to disappoint.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Semmering is the nearest half decent skiing to Vienna - only about 40 mins from the airport. I've been there and it's fun for a couple of days. It's good enough for Ladies WC races, about 2000 vertical feet of skiing, hotels right by the lifts, might be OK in early December. Otherwise Schladming is probably neaest big area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look here :-

http://www.ski-austria.com/vienna/index.php

All within 2 hours.

I have heard good things about Hochkar- it gets lots of snow although not at the moment!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Obertauern, always snowy never fails to disappoint

Oh dear! I didn't think it was that bad... Puzzled
snow conditions
For a proper resort I guess Salzburg area is going to be the closest to Vienna... Lofer/Saalbach/Zell am See? Couple of hours drive though I'd imagine.
snow report
pam w, double negative wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy