Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter family holiday costs??

Poster: A snowHead
Costing out for a family of four for Easter in France, self catering. I'm getting a price of between £3K and £3.6K which is a TO price. This includes lift passes, equipment hire, transfers etc. So everything except for food. We'd fly from a regional airport in the UK so that adds a supplement.

What's the opinion on this cost? Too much for what I'm getting or about right all things considered.

I can't drive to the alps so DIY flights/accommodation are my other option or possibly look for cheaper resorts (currently looking at either Flaine or La Plagne).

Some general thoughts on this would be helpful be before I book. At the moment I just don't know if I'm not being rational with the costs. It does seem to me that lift passes and equipment hire (2 x Boots 3 x Skis plus 1 x Ski carriage) come to almost £1K which is pretty much a fixed cost so what I'm playing with is the usual flights/accomodation/transfers.

Anyone want to give me a reality check?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your passes and equpment will come to about £1000

You accomodation Self Catering should come to betewwn £600 and £1300

Your flights and transfers shouldn't be more than £800 for the four of you but you could probably get for a lot less.

So you could do it cheaper as a DIY. Perhaps save up to a thosuand pounds
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a thought - have you considered week after Easter which I would guess should be a cheaper week?
E.g. where I am schools break up on 31/3/10 and don't return 'til 19/4/10.
Easter weekend is 2/4/10-5/4/10 so you could have 10/4/10-17/4/10.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, not sure wherejohnnyh, is flying from but flights at easter with easyjet from Newcastle are currently about £900 return for 4 people so your £800 figure is a bit low, but maybe still cheaper from London airports
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnnyh, seems a bit steep, our Easter holiday, 2 adults, 2 kids, DIY to Nassfeld Austria, self catering £1850 inc lift passes, 2 x ski carriage, 2 x kid ski renatals, 1 x kid ski school. Just add food and water. But that's a bit of a steal, between £2200 - £2400 should be generally achievable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just checked and my Feb Half Term 09 trip was £3.6k for flights, car hire, accomodation, lift passes, and equipment hire for seven adults.

Half term is notoriously more expensive than Easter, and we had approximately twice as many people (offsetting for the fact that children's lift passes and gear is generally cheaper).

Hence, you're getting ripped off I would say.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, it's looking bad then. I've not booked yet, so still have my options open. Just had a look at flights only and they are coming in at £375 per person so that's £1500 before I get off the ground. Add in the equipment at around £1000 I'm down 2.5k and I'm still at the airport. If I budget a transfer at £400, I'm going to struggle with accommodation at £600 and that takes me back to my TO price.

garethjomo, I wish you were right on the transfers and flights but as I say a very quick look and I'm hitting £1500 for flights alone, from Exeter.

I can get Easyjet from Bristol which gives me flights for around £950 but then Bristol is another couple of hours from me, so not ideal but food for thought.

OK will still work through this, but appreciate your input on me getting ripped off by all and sundry.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les gets have a family offer with big discounts on lift passes if you book s/c through the tourist office. We got an apt for 9 Inc lift passes for £1100. It's low though and that's the risk.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hamish, am stuck with the easter week I'm afraid, but fair point on different dates offering considerably different costs.

paulio, agree that £3.5K feels like a half-term level of price, but I'm struggling on saving significantly.

Without trying to sound flash saving a couple of hundred pounds probably isn't worth it for the extra DIY hassle (for me). I would DIY if the saving were close to a thousand pounds but to save less but find myself driving extra miles/hours to a different airport or struggling with hire cars/transfers won't be a good start - I'm not an experienced DIY ski traveller and I'm easily overwhelmed by quite how many things I need to organise and arrange just to get the family and I onto the piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
michael stocking, yes, I'd worry about Les Gets that late in the season. Actually I'm worrying about that late in the season anyway, but I don't want to add the no snow stress to this as well! But damn good price at £1100.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnnyh, £3.5k feels like a half-term level of price for about twice as many people.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

£3.5k feels like a half-term level of price for about twice as many people.

. . . well now I'm feeling really good about it, thanks!!

. . . I fear you're right though. It's a lot of money for a holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're taking tennis raquets...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michael stocking, I'm sure it'll be fine, it's just a long time to wait and be looking at the webcams everyday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnnyh wrote:
michael stocking, I'm sure it'll be fine, it's just a long time to wait and be looking at the webcams everyday.

Yes that would be very sad. Every other day is more than adequate.
ski holidays
johnnyh, It is not difficult to get a DIY holiday a fair bit cheaper than you seem to paying, I have just looked at some prices for Nendaz in Switzerland.
April 3-10 appartments seem to be about 600-750CHF and will be pretty good. Lift pass for family of four at family rates 814-1046 CHF depending on wheher you want the pass to include the Verbier Mont Fort area or not.
You can get flights from Bristol at a not excessive rate and get either a swiss transfer rail ticket for a family which is reaonable or car hire which is a bit pricier but adds flexibility. All up without ski hire <£2000, The appartments will be far nicer than most tour operator ones to La Plagne or Flaine as well. Snow reliability is very good.
snow report
You can do it cheaper, but I think you might have to consider other resorts.

E.g. Mayrhofen (village is low but skiing is high) 3/4/10-10/4/10
LHR-Munich £580 + ?£30? ski carriage = £510 (might have to play with flight times and costs a bit)
Tx by 4 seasons minibus (assuming 2 kids are between 5-14) Euro 196 + (2*38 )) = £250 ish (http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/english/four_seasons_travel_booking_request.html) (or by rail if you feel up to it is cheaper)
Apartment e.g. aparthotel Ederfeld 50m2 room = 770Euro + (7*2*15 for kids) = £900 ish (http://www.ederfeld.at/tcms/cms/english/cat_3/cId_10)
Ski pass = 2*217 + 2*173.5 = 781 Euro = £700 ish (don't know how old kids are so may be less)
ski hire = 2*70 + 52 = 192 Euro = £174 ish (http://www.rentski.info/topskiuk.htm)

total = about £2650 + food
(apologies if I've got sums wrong)

You may find that it might not be that much more expensive to stay in a hotel by the time you factor in the odd meal out when it's too tiring to cook Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-11-09 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
johnnyh, how old are the kids, this can make a difference with lift passes, Zermatt for example offers free lift passes for up to 9 year olds.
ski holidays
T Bar and Hamish, both very tempting inteneries and I will definately look into them as an option. Thank you both for coming up with those.

masmith, children are 12 and 9 so in the older one's case I'm paying adult price with the TO!! I guess he does fill a seat on the plane, but even so, 12 is a bit young in my opinion.

My worry with Austria would be late season snow - but I'll do some research on that. Would really like to go back there and since the children have never been it would tck another life experience box.

Thanks for the suggestions . . .
ski holidays
I've paid £425 each for half term for 2 of us (daughter and me) for 2 x Easyjet Gatwick to Zurich (inc skis), Swiss Rail Transfers (free for kids), apartment for 2 for week in Laax. Lift passes will be £310. Not sure whether there are Zurich flights from the west but should be pretty snowsure there.
ski holidays
Colin B, T Bar, so with the rail transfer does that take you direct to the resort or is it a taxi ride from the destination station? I presume these can be booked online?
snow conditions
johnnyh, the Swiss Transfer tickets include all travel from airport to resort, last leg may be by bus if the resort does not have a railway station. They are great value, especially if you have kids, as the kids (up to age 15 I think) travel free with parents. Tickets are approx £60 return
ski holidays
johnnyh wrote:

My worry with Austria would be late season snow - but I'll do some research on that. Would really like to go back there and since the children have never been it would tick another life experience box.

Thanks for the suggestions . . .

Totally unfounded worries as the ski season goes on until the beginning of May in some resorts. I've skied in the Salzburg and Tirol Alps every Easter since 1990 and never had a bad experience, often having some of the best powder days of the season right up until the last day of the season and beyond.

As with any country, select your resort carefully. If you are thinking of Flaine at Easter - then add at least 300m to any of the Austrian resorts you may consider and start to compare prices.
Fly to Salzburg - use the train to transfer to places like St Johann im Pongau, Schladming, Bad Gastein and then look for the Pauschal Angebote! Or Munich/Zurich and use the German, Swiss or Austrian train services. St Anton has some fabulous deals at Easter

E.G. Easter Week in a 5-star hotel including half-board and ski pass - 991 Euros for adults and that is one of the top hotels in St Johann/Alpendorf. Start height of the village Alpendorf 740m - add the 300m that gives you an equivalent start height of 1040m. There are lots of offers available in most resorts of the Salzburger Super Ski region which are way under that price bracket

In case you are wondering where the "300m" comes from - it is the continentality effect. The further east you go, the lower the snowline as the moderating influence of the maritime air masses is reduced. So in France you have to go high if you want to guarantee a full season for the resort. Hence some of the more "Stalagluft X" locations like VT, Avoriaz and cementvile itself, Flaine! Go further east and you are skiing in places as low as 2 or 300m above sea level.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have easter free in my studio apartment in Tignes if it is of any use...............
ski holidays
johnnyh,
Quote:

so with the rail transfer does that take you direct to the resort or is it a taxi ride from the destination station? I presume these can be booked online?

What masmith, said , the only things that I would add is that you have to book them in advance (tickets not actual trains), easy to do online. Also the final bus up is a post bus that leaves shortly after the train arrives so there is not much hanging around. I have done it before with kids and skis without to much difficulty.

For Nendaz the train station would be Sion it is probably about 20 mins up to the resort. If you were to get accommodation a long way from the centre you may have to get a taxi for the last little bit.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
masmith wrote:
johnnyh, the Swiss Transfer tickets include all travel from airport to resort, last leg may be by bus if the resort does not have a railway station. They are great value, especially if you have kids, as the kids (up to age 15 I think) travel free with parents. Tickets are approx £60 return

Alas, at the current exchange rate it's more like £75 per adult but, as masmith says, accompanied kids go free. £150 is pretty good for a transfer for 4.
snow report
Return flights from Cardiff to Geneva on 3rd April would cost just under £700 with bags. Which is what i based my figure on
ski holidays
I've done some research based on the above and I have concluded that I must be very thick and stupid because I'm still struggling to get anything close to a decent price for the holiday I'm looking at.

I accept around £1000 for lift passes and various equipment costs.
I can get Easyjet flights to Geneva for around £950.

That leaves me with less than £1K for accomodation and transfers which as far as I can see isn't looking very likely. Which is starting to make the orginal holiday price not so bad.

Quote:

St Anton has some fabulous deals at Easter

Just tried to find some . . . but really couldn't see anything which would come out more economical than I'm looking at right now.

Quote:

I've paid £425 each for half term for 2 of us (daughter and me) for 2 x Easyjet Gatwick to Zurich (inc skis), Swiss Rail Transfers (free for kids), apartment for 2 for week in Laax.

Just looked at Laax - liked the resort but couldn't find anything for less than £1000 for accomodation alone. Web site looked great but wasn't very usable (but that's another story).

While I'm not asking you to book this for me, if anyone has any links I'd appreciate it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnnyh,
I dont know how much you intend to pay for equipment but the likft passes I have quoted are about £600 assuming the children are between 15 and 18 if they are younger the lift pass is less and the Printze area which still probably gives you as much skiing as Flaine is less still so £1000 on lift pass and equipment sounds unlikely.

For easily booked appartments a lot cheaper than you seem to be getting see here:(I wouldn't go for the cheapest)

http://www.interhome.ch/holiday-rentals/Switzerland/Valais/Nendaz/search-result.aspx?partnerID=CH230012&lCode=EN-CH&cCode=CH&rID=3&regionCode=10&pID=1105&placeCode=01961&dtCheckIn=2010-04-03&duration=7&nbrPersons=4&nbrPersonsMax=5&pSize=10&sortField=20

PS here are the ski pass rates for the full area, tot up the family rates for each adult and child or youth multipl, by approx 0.6 to convert to pounds
http://www.nendaz.ch/tourism/vallees-mont-fort-rates-winter.html

PPS I have managed to find cheaper places than Interhome in the pas t jsut as good with a little searching, you can also try their web site for other resorts in Switzerland
ski holidays
johnnyh, I don't actually think that price is too bad - but I wonder whether you are looking at pretty basic accommodation (and equipment hire). How big is the apartment you're being offered? I think you might not necessarily be able to to get a lot cheaper, but maybe better VFM. Some of the Swiss/Austrian suggestions sound well worth a look. In French tems, whilst our own apartment is only at 1550m (and has been fine early April, most years) I don't think Flaine is necessarily a particularly good bet in terms of "late season". Sure, the top is higher, but the main Flaine bowl is only around 1600m and you have to come down to that level all the time - and most of the GM is lower. There may be better alternatives at that kind of altitude. For example, sticking to France for a moment, at a similar altitude to Flaine you could rent a very nice 2 bedroom 45 sq metre piste-side apartment for about 550 euros in Les Saisies. Cheaper lift passes, a reasonable size ski domaine, something a bit different. Or, if you really want to go higher and snowsure (which makes sense) you'd need to look at somewhere like Val Thorens where there's a lot of higher altitude skiing.

Where are you flying from? The Easter flight prices do look quite high.

And don't underestimate how much feeding yourselves could cost you at resort prices. If you have an apartment convenient to return to for lunch, that could save a couple of hundred euro during the week.
snow report
Isn't it worth going into say Geneva, Innsbruck or some other decent city the day before (good Friday and maybe coming back either a day early or couple of days late?. For Innsbruck on skyscanner that would be the difference of paying 1056 for a family of 4 on a sat / sat to 376 fr/ fr. Ok you would have an overnight city break but if you travelled onto the resort first thing you would still get your 6 full days ski-ing in.
latest report
I've booked for Laax through Interhome too, a small studio though only big enough for 2. They may have larger ones. eng_ch on here has an apartment in Laax.
snow report
pam w, thanks for your input - I'm going to ponder it today. The accommodation for Flaine was pretty good, so in some senses the cost was reasonable value for money. It's just that I read so often on here that people get a weeks skiing in for a family of four for in the region of £2 - £2.5K and I felt like I was paying a little too much without putting in the research. If I dig around and can't find an alternative I'll be happy. My problem is getting fixated on this product and then not being able to rationalise the cost.

The options people are pointing out on here all seem very compelling. Nevertheless, having spent a couple of hours last night researching them I've still struggled with something which I could say saved significant amounts of money (£1K ?) and still gave me the holiday I'm looking for.

Ideally I'm flying from Exeter - which is still a couple of hours drive away. I checked flights from London and they are significantly cheaper (for example £500 for four to Munich) but driving to London costs me an extra day of time and in the region of £150 of fuel plus probably an overnight in a cheap hotel. Therefore I'm inclined to the Exeter/Bristol airports.

Agree about snow at Flaine and to be honest I'm choosing there for "family friendly" skiing and the apartment as much as anything.

I'll hunt around again based on all this feedback. Thanks very much everyone; I'll get something somehow! I just don't want to feel as though I'm throwing money away by being lazy and not researching all the options.
snow report
johnnyh, when we used to do family packages - years ago now (most recently must have been about 12 years ago) I never managed to get under £500 a head - generally in low-end catered chalets, which we found good value. That's why I didn't think the price you quoted was too bad, though you will spend a fair bit on food, at current exchange rates. I don't know Flaine very well, because I've never stayed there, just done day-trips, but the accommodation isn't all on top of the slopes - presumably the apartment you've found is very well placed? Bristol/Geneva easyJet is around £150 a head on 3/10 April - I don't blame you for not wanting to drive to London. You could save a bit, but I don't see any way you'd save £1K on the price you've got - and you've done a fair bit of research, by the sound of it. There's no medals to be won sorting out a DIY holiday if it's not your thing.

Couldn't comment on Flaine for "family friendly" as never taken kids there - indeed, I'm not too sure what "family friendly" in brochure-speak is supposed to mean (other than "don't go bothering to look for lively nightclubs round here, we all go to bed by 9 pm"). Being near the ski school meeting place, and having nice friendly good quality tuition are obviously vital but there are good and bad locations in all resorts.

If the apartment and location in Flaine is good (what size is the apartment, not one of yer 23 square metre specials?) I wouldn't worry - get it booked, and then relax and look forward to it
snow conditions
pam w, I'm beginning to think your advice is spot on - just spent another couple of hours with no joy - I can locate flights to Geneva for around £700 - but once I add in the transfers (around £350) and accommodation costs / lift passes it's not exactly a compelling saving. And again, DIY means I have my own stress levels set on high from the word go.

The way I'm seeing this is I can't save a great deal on flights other than my Geneva one, I still need to factor in the transfer which means the best travel costs are still in the region of £1k.

Accommodation I may be able to play with but I'm not sure the saving will be more than a couple of hundred.

The other costs for equipment and lift passes are pretty standard and fixed. Going for basic skis x 3 and child boots x 2 helmets x 2 which seems to be a fairly consistent price of around £300 in all. Lift passes are coming in at a little short of £700 which give me the all in cost of close to £1K

Therefore unless I can get comparable accommodation for say £600 I'm not saving a great deal on my £3k price (which was Flaine) and for the time I've spent researching I'm thinking I could have gone and earned the difference!

Certainly bashing this through on a forum has helped me see that there is a glass half empty/half full approach to booking and the value of the holiday etc.

Like you pam w, I'm thinking £3k is £750 a head + food. Which is a lot. But looking around I'm not sure that I can do better especially with the flight costs being so high.

Oh well . . .
latest report
johnnyh, possibly consider leaving until much nearer the time and booking a late TO deal? I'd be surprised if you cannot get s/c deal for sub £500 per head, which, allowing £1K for ski stuff means it's well within budget. You run the risk of not getting anything I guess, on the other hand you get to see where the snow is before you book.
latest report
johnnyh, Easter flights this year seem much more expensive than previous years. Last Easter I got my family of 4 inc ski carriage to Geneva from Manchester or Liverpool (can't remember) for £300 return with a free transfer thrown in at the other end. This year the flights + transfers were coming in at similiar prices to those you have found ie about a grand.

So I'm driving!!
snow report
masmith, yes, one option I have considered as well. Although my track record with last minute is pretty poor.
snow conditions
kitenski, thanks - I was beginning to think it was me and I was not selecting the right combination.

I really have struggled to get anything of value. I accept my regional location makes the choice more limited but even so, where are the 1p flights!??!

Seriously, I am consistently getting flights for four at over £1k. My only "cheap flight" was the EasyJet Geneva one at £700.
latest report
johnnyh, I reckon £3k all in is the 'going' rate for a weeks holiday starting 10th April, but that is for chalet/hotel even when I found really cheap accom deals, the transfers + flights still put it up around £3k

What date are you looking to fly out?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy