Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler has received over 350cm (11.5ft) of snow already - Update: Now over 500cm

Poster: A snowHead
What a way to start the season, our base is almost 200cm already SmileSmileSmile

Lots more snow in the forecast too!!!

Keep up to date with Whistler Blackcomb Snow Report

Update: Now over 500cm Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-11-09 8:09; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just been looking at the forecasts, 191cm in the next 5 days, jesus that is good. never been to whistler, would love to go one day!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Woot - I am out there in 3 weeks if this keeps up it will be awesome! snowHead
wbsr - Like the site too - keep the good news coming. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just love it when people promote Whistler.

It leaves the decent ski resorts to the rest of us.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think its fair to say this is pretty exceptional and constitutes news not just pimping. Any word on what the avy prognosis is for the season with that much on a low base, how's the temp gradient been?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
just been looking at the forecasts, 191cm in the next 5 days, jesus that is good. never been to whistler, would love to go one day!

Lots of snow means little sun.

Olympics could get snowed off for a while.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowed off??? hmmmmm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can just see the headlines - "Wintery weather ruins plans for Winter Olympics"... Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
or

"Global Cooling Menace!! New Ice Age Threatens Olympics!!"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob,

The following from the avalanche advisory:

"The intense storm that hammered our region with high winds and heavy snowfall over the past several days has now abated. A total of 142 cm of snow fell since Sunday morning. In any wind loaded areas the foot penetration is up to your armpits, with ski penetration to your waist resulting in major wallowing in gentle terrain. Winds were gusting to 120kph at and below the treeline last night, uprooting hundreds of trees adding to the heinous travel conditions. Best to stay inbounds until after the next storm cycle passes and the storm snow layers have had a chance to settle a bit.

Avalanche Activity:
Minimal explosive and ski testing on Whistler Mountain this morning produced up to size two avalanches, with some natural avalanche activity also observed to have occurred during the storm. Crown lines today were up to 40cm in depth, mostly lower down in the start zones than usual. The stiffer wind loaded slab on the surface was moving easily on an underlying softer layer of snow, all of which was on top of a moist layer of snow that formed with the rising freezing levels on Sunday night. Poor visibility hampered observations of any activity in high alpine terrain.

Snowpack:
Our snowpack is a huge improvement over the one that plagued us for the bulk of last year's season. There have been no inherent weaknesses observed within the snowpack aside from the aforementioned storm snow instabilities and any recently formed melt freeze crusts. Surface faceting has been observed around the 2000m elevation. It appears that some wind exposed areas with shallow snow cover were moistened by Sunday?s mild temperatures, and have since become faceted with the cooler temperatures during the past 24hrs. We been unable to access the glaciers to assess the bond with the summer firn and glacial ice, but you can expect it to take some time yet before the widespread crevasses become firmly bridged over. Looking ahead to the near future, we should end up with a good solid snowpack when all of the dust settles."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whistler Snow alert:

SNOW RECORD BROKEN: It's official, November is the snowiest on record with 418cm (14 feet) of snow and there are 12 days left in the month. It's still snowing and more is in the forecast!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think i picked a good year to move to Vancouver snowHead !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will all the people in Canada please keep very quiet. Go out and enjoy your snow but don't post about it. What little snow we had is melting in Europe and you reminding us of your good fortune is not helping Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, if it helps someone working up at Kicking Horse preparing the hill for the season (on TGR) said that it was 'armpit deep'.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrE, you been up there yet? It sounds amazing, altho not much terrain open yet. We're likely to be there next week for 4 days over US ThxGiving. Hopefully it'll stop snowing for a while and let snowpack settle so csome of steeps and alpine can be opened.

And Whistler locals, didn't Nov 2004 start well with good early season skiing, before the January floods arrived (I may be wrong - was away that year skiing Japan!)? It's a reasonably strong El Nino right now, so I reckon get into the pow while you can. Just in case. I intend to Wink

It's pretty darn good down here in the Cascades right now too! Love starting ski season on Nov 14th.
snow report
Total cumulative snowfall

Snow depths are measured at Pig Alley Weather Station - 1650m (Mid-Mountain) on Whistler Mtn.

482 cm

188 in

Ouh, almost 5 meters in November, wish i'd be there:))
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:

And Whistler locals, didn't Nov 2004 start well with good early season skiing, before the January floods arrived (I may be wrong - was away that year skiing Japan!)?

Not really. Nov 04 had 81cm; Dec 04 130cm; then Jan o5 was the disastrous pineapple express rainstorm.

Historic (since 1982) averages for Nov and Dec are 156 and 182cm. Nov 04 was the lowest snowfall since 1987, and Dec 04 was the lowest since 1992.

I'll get me anorak.
snow conditions
BRING IT ON
ski holidays
greg66, thx for the update - makes me feel better Wink
latest report
Acacia wrote:

The following from the avalanche advisory:

"... In any wind loaded areas the foot penetration is up to your armpits, with ski penetration to your waist

Shocked

There are pics on the WB website of a skier shoulder deep in what could be Franz's meadow.

I just dribbled on my keyboard.
snow report
total is 530cm so far

here is a picture I took a few days ago now (we are getting rain at the moment)

believe it or not, that is a groomed run which was groomed about 2-3 days before the picture. It is called 'Little Red Run' on Whistler Mt.
snow report
gortonator, are you heading up this weekend? I look forward to a report with pictures to follow! I haven't been up yet, been waiting until more terrain opens up - think i'm def going to be heading up for the weekend starting Friday 11th, hoping for some colder temps and another burst of snow! and i'll probably head up before that if we get some more snow now that blackcomb is opening up.

wbsr, i'm loving your reporting, keep up the good work!
snow report
DrE, just arrived in Aspens at Blackcomb. Get up here dude - there's no time like the present. early and late season are the best times to explore Wink
snow conditions
Fantastic. Going to Whistler there on 11 Jan - can't wait!!!!
snow report
last two days have been pretty good, today especially off 7th Heaven and in Glacier Bowl where there's some lovely snow off-piste. Sunny too, which is 2nd best to new snow. Hopefully some snow tonight to low elevation so should freshen up lower part of mountain. Ski outs to village are firm but very doable. Not bad for November Wink
snow report
That's it, gortonator, you have convinced me - i'm heading up for first lift, bring on the snow snowHead !!
snow conditions
DrE, excellent - wasn't a bad day on Saturday at all. Hope you enjoyed it. We had some great runs in Ruby Bowl and some of the drop-ins to Harmony. Thought mid-mountain groomers were pretty good too.
ski holidays
gortonator, we had an awesome day up there! Made it there for pretty much the first lift up blackcomb at 8.15am, watched the few people that made it up before us whooping down the "groomers" which were covered in a good layer of powder. I was practically jumping off the lift to get after it thinking "nooooo stoooop skiing all my fresh powder snowHead ! I needn't have worried, there was plenty untouched left for my first run down - was one of the best ever, got to charge down some untouched hero powder with a nice groomed run underneath - awesome!

We were taking it fairly easy on our first proper full day skiing this season, mainly because the wife hasn't quite worked out to stop fighting the powder and just let the skis do the work so she was getting tired about 10 times quicker than ususal rolling eyes . didn't push much out of the mid mountain groomers over on blackcomb other than a little foray off 7th heaven. The snow was great up there but pretty flat light / low vis / windy when we were up there so decided to stick to the mid mountain.

There is so much mountain to ski and so little time - only another 5 months left of the season Very Happy !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrE, snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
DrE, Whistler usually stays open until early June with plenty of alpine terrain available. Plemty of time. May is one of my favorite months up there!
snow report
Well, WB have now called the Nov snowfall at 560cm. That may be a bit OTT, because I thought some of the snow arrived in October.

Anyway, that compares quite favourably to the Nov average over the last 28 years of - ahem - 156cm (now the ave sits at 171 cm for Nov). It also smashes the snowiest month on record there in the last 28 years, which was Jan 06 with 469cm. It's also over half - 1005cm - of the average total snowfall for the season over that period.

I wonder if there's any more snow left in the sky?

I'll get me anorak. Again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy