Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strength or cardio - what's best?

Poster: A snowHead
I know the answer is both right but if you could only do one or other in the lead up to a ski holiday what would be most suitable for ski holiday?

I go to the gym 2/3 times a week and mix it up but around 8 weeks prior to going away I ramp it up to 3/4 times a week and increase the weights etc, but sometimes wonder if I should ramp up the cardio instead (although I usually try both)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I think strength (high weight, low reps) and stamina (lower weight, higher reps) are better, as long as you have basic cardio fitness.

Cue a fitness guru to tell me I'm wrong.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends on your age I think, and what you plan to do. For the Older Skier I reckon one of the most important things is flexibility (ever seen a stout middle aged woman trying to get up after falling over?) coupled with a bit of core strength and leg-specific things. Lots of Snowheads are keen, fit, strong, gnarly etc. But for most older skiers, who just set off on a week's holiday having done nothing, even walking up a few hills (preferably backwards Twisted Evil ) would be a great start. The trouble with all the really keen people swapping gym recipes is that it can make some of the less active of us give up before we begin. wink

Probably the single most important prescription for anyone who is above their ideal bodyweight, is to lose weight. The strain on the knees of an extra stone is considerable!

Most ordinary holiday skiers don't need a huge amount of cardio fitness - totter to a lift, let the thing carry you up the hill, then glide down again. nice:
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cardio
I believe with the right technique then you can reduced the muscular effort of skiing to very minimal. We start off 100% effort and 0% technique, the holy grail being 100% technique and 0 effort. The athletic nature of the sport means good cardio fitness can make the world of difference and keep you going the whole way down those longer pistes.

That said, I have raced with guys built like brick s*it houses and the recoveries they can make combined with power they are able to develop from the ski is great to watch. We're not racing though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cardio , core strength , stamina . With plenty of stretching . Possibly pilates? , power plate if u go to a gym with one . I build up to 5x 45 sec on 45(I think it's an ohm sign?!?) in a squat position hands infront. That bloody burns!! . I'm fat and have vvlittle technique so need all the help my body can give!! . Even so I hardly ever cramp up or give up when on holiday so something I do works for me!!!.
Ps also do three gym sessions a week and ramp up like yourself!!! Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bfg, that is more or less exactly what I do. Coincidentally, I too am fat and very rarely get tired skiing (always excepting doing weird drills, which sometimes make both my legs and my brain hurt). Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not wanting to be left out - Im Fat Too Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I believe with the right technique then you can reduced the muscular effort of skiing to very minimal.

agree with this up to a point, after which with the right technique most of us will want to ski harder stuff like bumps, deep snow, or faster speeds, which then asks more from the body physically.
Quote:

The athletic nature of the sport means good cardio fitness can make the world of difference and keep you going the whole way down those longer pistes.

I would say the core physical attribute is balance plus core strength - just look at the scrawny jibbers in the park, living on red bull and cigarettes: no way do these guys have high levels of cardio fitness, but what they do have is superb balance (plus no fear), so they don't get to need the cardio fitness.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm fatter
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
actually I think technique is the best aid if your simply cruising and a mid level skier but if I'm taking lessons or skiing with mates who are better and faster then strength in legs is invaluable. Stretching has become essential too now as I get older.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar showed me at HH the other month that core strength was what I needed to do his drills, it was the key to this her one legged skiing!! - I've started to exercise again and have also been doing 20 situps in the morning!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No- I'm fat
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cardio.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty wrote:
Stretching has become essential too now as I get older.

Yup, stretching is a must if I dont want to be written off the next day
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski, cardio for sure. Strength will be an added advantage of cardio anyway (eg running and cycling build up leg muscles). Although skiing itself needn't always get your heart pumping, everything else that goes with sking will - walking from your hotel to the lift, side stepping up to the lift queue, pushing yourself up a little slope at the end of the schuss, and just walking around at altitude etc. If you're not aerobically fit all this will tire you quickly.
ski holidays
Quote:

cardio for sure

in that case, you would expect a marathon runner to have the perfect physical attributes for skiing. I don't think this is true, he/she also needs agility, balance, flexibility & strength (especially core strength), to ski well. The best thing to do is a combination of these, not doing any one to the detriment of the others
snow conditions
Ah, but the poster was asking which of the two would be best to have.

The answer is both, but if pushed I'd say cardio too.
ski holidays
gra,
Quote:

The best thing to do is a combination of these, not doing any one to the detriment of the others

Of course it is, but that wasn't what the OP was asking. I'd take a guess that the marathon runner would cope better than the person who does nothing but pump iron.
snow conditions
Easy answer use a bike and do lots of hill climbing, that will give the cardio a good going over but by doing hill climbs you will also work those all important leg muscles, think a bike machine is better than a jogger as you tend to cyclic movement with both skiing and cycling whereas jogging is more impact
latest report
boabski, it sounds like you're doing more than enough for a "holiday skier" anyway. But I'd agree with D G Orf - I've very rarely had problems with fitness to ski and the only exercise I've ever done other than skiing is cycling to and from work (not a huge amount either, only 4 miles each way). One year I'd not been cycling to work and that was the only year I've had problems - my legs giving up on me mid afternoon. As you get to higher performance skiing (as I'm now finding in my racing) limiting factors change - my technique has now advanced to the level where I can now control skiing hard and fast enough that leg and core strength are again becoming limiting factors and will need to start doing some specific strength stuff.
latest report
Thanks folks - some interesting stuff there. A couple of years ago I got a ski specific programme at the gym and first ski holiday I went on afterwards was the first time that I did not have aches in the thighs etc - so I tend to stick to that programme in the 3 months up to going away. I do find myself getting quite tired though, so I will probably continue with the strength work but introduce more cardio and stamina stuff
latest report
boabski, what do they have you doing?
snow conditions
plyometrics is the anwer IMO
snow report
Cardio that has you using the quads, adductors, hamstrings, glutes and calves.

Cycling, step machine, cross trainer (both forwards and backwards) and rowing machine
snow conditions
Don't forget you are going to be exercising at altitude, so better Cardio will help get more oxygen to your muscles.
snow conditions
IMO the best answer is strength exercises done in circuit format, so you also get a good cardio effect (effectively this is interval training - more specific for skiing than slow, steady state cardio on a machine). You can play around with the circuit durations and rest periods so it matches the typical ski runs you do. You can also include functional strength exrecises, eg 1 leg squats, or lateral jumps, which also train balance & agility.
snow report
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

what do they have you doing?

Leg press, leg extensions, hamstring machine (can't remember name), lunges with weights, squats on weight machine, cycling, rowing, abs stuff, cross trainer, some upper body stuff and jumping left to right and vice versa on step - ie start with one foot on floor and one on step then alternate (great excercise for skiing but I do tend to look like a complete fud Embarassed ). Then they get me pulling some dumbells with my right arm towards my chin to get my beer muscles excercised Laughing
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

what do they have you doing?
..... Then they get me pulling some dumbells with my right arm towards my chin to get my beer muscles excercised Laughing

Forget all the others......this is the key exercise to ski holiday enjoyment Very Happy Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gra wrote:
Quote:

cardio for sure

In that case, you would expect a marathon runner to have the perfect physical attributes for skiing.

gra, it depends what you mean by 'marathon runner' i.e. jog /walk around London or sub 3 hour runner. Even with the weight lost from reducing body fat to 10% or so they still end up with a lot of new muscle above the legs and below the shoulders and my guess is that the 'marathon runner' will be in a much better condition where it counts than someone else pumping iron and circuit training for anything less than 5 days a week for 2 hours or so per session. That said, most good marathon runners are obsessives who would resent going anywhere they can't put in 60-80 miles of running during the week.

For my part, I stay plenty fit enough for skiing with cardio. I'm a hill runner, mountain biker and winter ski tourer who's lucky enough to have a home gym equipped with almost every bit of kit for the rainy days. I do occasionally lift weights in there too but would rather have my toenails extracted with pliers most of the time. Very Happy
ski holidays
I read something yesterday that said drinking up to a bottle of red wine a day can reduce your risk of heart attack by 50%. Cardio exercise can also reduce your risk of heart attack by 50%. For the holiday skiier, cardio fitness is probably more beneficial than pure strength, so by my reckoning, drinking a bottle of red wine a day will make you a better skiier. Therefore two bottles a day will make you twice as good!!!

I am about 75% of the way through todays training and I can't work out if it should be skiier or skier Puzzled
snow conditions
I find at my age (46) that I need to work most on stamina (cycling / cross trainer), core strength and most definitely flexibilty. That would be everything then. Puzzled
snow report
erica2004, crikey you're old, I'm not 46 till monday wink

Don't you find that the more strength work you do , the easier the cardio stuff feels?
snow conditions
Having just joined the "life begins at !" club I actually find weights easier after cardio as the blood is pumping round quicker . Also the better your fitness/ stamina levels the quicker the recovery ! IMHO Little Angel
ski holidays
bfg, and, by analogy, I find cardio easier (it takes me longer to work up a sweat/get my heart rate up) if I go to the gym straight after a choir practice. That is, presumably, because my lungs have already done some good work.
snow report
bfg,
Quote:

I actually find weights easier after cardio as the blood is pumping round quicker

It is only because you are lifting half the weight you would have done before cardio. Toofy Grin
You have to be hitting the free weights first before cardio.
snow report
ph,
Quote:

Why?
snow report
Hurtle, Because you will be far more tired after a cardiovascular work out than the other way around.
If you do the weights first then you will go into the cardio phase realitively fresh. If you hit the cardio first you will be lifting lower weights as you will be basically knackered from the cardio.
Yes you get the benefits of being warmed up by doing cardio first but in reality you should be doing five minutes warm up before you do either.

There have been plenty of studies done that back up " Weights first then Cardio "
snow conditions
Absolutely no point working on strength at all unless your diet is built around your goals. Common knowledge.
latest report
ph wrote:

Yes, that's what trainers have always done with me - a 5 mins warm up, weights or similar and then 25 mins cardio.
ski holidays
boabski, I've been doing stuff similar to your program (weights, cycling and stretching) and noticed today that I was stronger than my ski buddy who's only been doing cardio (as he just ran the NY marathon). We're similar skiing standard but he's fitter than me. I think the weights has made a real difference.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy