Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALIA 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sella Ronda - Help Required

Would like some help please from you Snowheads, we are in the process of planning this seasons trip and the Sella Ronda is looking favourite, have spent the last 5 years doing the large French areas, Portes du Soleil, Grand Massiff, Paradiski and 3V's, so looking at Italy for a change. We are 2 strong intermediate skiers who like to ski all day and get the miles in.

Please can you let me know if the areas are challenging and would compare to the French resorts above, we want mainly red, but some black and off piste. Don't want to just be crusing along blues etc. all day
Is the area pretty well linked and easy to get round or are you having to hop on and off busses to connect

Which resort would be best to stay in with regard to price, proximity to slopes, quality of skiing, some life at night but not critical and ease of access from either Trevisio or Venice

What is the snow record like, end Feb ?

Can anyone recommend or has an apartment
with avaliability

Any more tips or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jason
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, yes and yes. And maybe a few more yeses depending on how many questions you had!

Sella Ronda itself is not hard - could be done by many blue-run skiers, but there are points at which they would struggle. For night-life, then Selva is biggest, followed maybe by Canazei - other places tend to be rather low-key but you must realise Italians don't come out until midnight! But there is plenty of easy off-piste: the Italians don't seem to do this so it's easy to get to for those who want it.

We've used Mountain Sun, based in San Cassiano, in the past, and are going with them again this year: http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
markaly, The best resort for challenging skiing is Arraba. It is one of the higher resorts and has a couple of decent blacks running back down into the village which are North facing so the snow is normally pretty good. It also has easy access to the Marmalada glacier and the hidden valley (well worth a trip for the breathtaking scenery and frozen waterfalls). The downside is that it's pretty quiet at night.

The north side of the Sella is very Austrian in feel (they speak German as the first language, it was part of austria until 1916) Selva, Ortisei are much livlier but the skiing is mainly reds and blues. In fact most of the sella is a mix of blues and reds with some good off piste between the trees around Corvara.

I love it there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
markaly, Arabba is the best base for skiing, have been their the last three years and am going again this year. It however has a very low key night life which suits me but could be a problem if you need the bright lights. Collett Holidays do both catered and self catered holidays in Arabba. The black runs down into Arabba are very good runs and keep in good condition due to being north facing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
markaly, see the reports re Arraba and others in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047, also there is a "Calling Sella Ronda fans" thread in the Resort Reviews forum, with pointers to much info. The snowHeads went to Sella Ronda last year for the Birthday Bash and enjoyed it so much it looks like we're off again at the end of Jan in 2010 snowHead see the Snow Events forum for details of last season and next.

Last couple of years I've been in La Tania (3 valleys) with the family, then did Sella Ronda with the snowHeads, really enjoyed it and from your description I do the same sort of skiing as you.

Plus, if you like to clock up the miles, then at the end of the trip you can get the Dolomiti Superski computer to tell you just how many and to plot your daily trips for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy