Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about bindings & what to buy for Scott Punisher Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK before anyone shouts at me for not trawling through the search facility can someone help with these questions ?

Bindings, whats the difference between a entry level / cheaper binding and an expensive one ?

Do you make a choice of bindings based on ability ? If so I am just starting to take off piste sking seriously and intend
to have a few lessons on this winters trip.

So what binding should I go for on Scott Punisher ? I understand (correct if im wrong) that touring bindings allow adjustment for when using skins.
I will not be looking at or needing any of those in the near future.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More exopensive bindings have higher DIN settings. Each binding has a range of din settings but they do not work so well at their far ends. So if your din setting was 8 you would choose a binding that went from 4-12. http://www.dinsetting.com/ this website gives you a rough idea of your din setting. Other than that more expensive bindings are better quality. Marker bindings apart from the griffon/jester range have rubbish reputations and I'd adcvise agaionst buying.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have griffons on my punishers, not had any problems, and they're fairly cheap and relatively light for the money. Or for slightly more one of the variations of the PX12s.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Do you make a choice of bindings based on ability

kind of. The general advise is pick one where the DIN (release) setting you use is somewhere in the middle of the range of the bindings DIN setting range as most work best in the middle of their range rather than at the extremes. So for some one who skis with DIN set at 8 a binding with DIN Range 4-12 for example would be a better choice than one with a range of 8-16. Your DIN is based on height weight and how hard you ski. This also gives you a bit of room to increse the setting if you find it necessary (ie you improve or eat lots of pies between trips Toofy Grin )

Within a given range of bindings higher DIN ones are usually more expensive.

People do set DINs higher if they think pre-releasing bindings poses a higher risk than not releasing in a fall for example racers and cliff huckers.
Better bindings tend to have more metal in the construction are more robust.
I use VIST bindings I bought from Spyderjon. They are very solid and havent prereleased and always released when they should. I liked the first pair so I put them on my other skis too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
price generally comes down to the material used to make the binding (plastic = cheap; metal = more expensive); there is also a correlation to how high the DIN settings go. people who ski on 5 don't generally need the additional strength/durability of metal bindings

if you can find them, pick up some Salomon 997 equipe DIN 6-14 bindings on ebay (trawl ebay.de if the UK one isn't working.) these sell for cheap (I got a pair for £25) and many people think that Salomon consumer bindings have only got worse since these came out
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Arno, I set at 8 so the Sally 997 sound ok.

I will have a browse
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, there are some 997s on ebay.co.uk but not sure if they are the 6-14 version and it seems like the seller won't ship them
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy