Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POC helmets - great service!

Poster: A snowHead
The liner of my POC skull light helmet had started to come apart. After a couple of emails to find the right person in POC, I explained the problem and a replacement liner from Sweden has just dropped through my letter box, free of charge.

We often use this forum to name and shame baddies, so it's great to be able to compliment an outfit on great service.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-11-09 13:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
POC, great service, great products. How it should be.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
POC, great service, great products. How it should be.

except their helmets are all too small to go on my head Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Really, I've got a 2XL in a Skull Light and my head is huge. I take a XXL in an Arai full face helmet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd like a POC helmet, and POC gloves. Where are you getting these from? I've only found one supplier in the UK and theya re mail order only. If poss I would like to try before I buy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geofferson, Sorry, I got mine in Verbier. Have you tried the UK distributors http://www.bigbear.co.uk/Brands/brand_poc.asp?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, i may only have found an XL but it was not even in the ballpark of fitting - the only helmet i have found that does fit properly is a Giro 9
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
POC have always seemed really expensive when I've seen them around (though a quick google surprised me, they're cheaper than I thought). How do they compare to Sweet and Giro, similar (better?) quality?

I'm in the market for a new helmet, but was going to go for a G10 MX (until google just re-opened the debate)...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks, who was your contact? I need to replace my cracked visor for my Skull X after an argument with a skier-X gate.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have just bought my son a POC helmet. He neeeded hard cover over ears for his club and the cheaper helmets didn't fit him as he has a funny shape head. It was eyewateringly expensive for a kids helmet. Slightly annoying as mid season last year he had a new Giro.

I am assured the material is expanded something instead of expanded polystryrene and its meant to absorb more of the impact in deformation. Hopefully we will never find out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
Spyderman, i may only have found an XL but it was not even in the ballpark of fitting - the only helmet i have found that does fit properly is a Giro 9

I've got a Giro 9 size XL which fits perfectly, but in POC Skull Light a 2XL, also a perfect fit. We've probably got the same head shape then
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sideshow_Bob, PMd you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ChrisWo wrote:
POC have always seemed really expensive when I've seen them around (though a quick google surprised me, they're cheaper than I thought). How do they compare to Sweet and Giro, similar (better?) quality?

POC are more closely related to Sweet in terms of construction and design, in that it's the outer shell that provides the protection, top of the range POC using carbon fibre. As a result they're much less bulky than most other helmets, yet offer far greater protection, more like that of a motorsports helmet. Giro uses Polystyrene to provide the protection and as a result is much bulkier, they design comes more from a modified cycle helmet. Upside is far better ventilation on Giro which it needs because of the amount of insulation offered by polystyrene. POC have little or no ventilation, but don't have the same insulation in the first place to cook your head.
Quality is great.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, good to know - the Giro is nice enough but is probably coming to the end of its life
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Steve Sparks, who was your contact? I need to replace my cracked visor for my Skull X after an argument with a skier-X gate.

thanks for the link Steve. I now want POC lobe goggles too. GF is going to have an expensive Christmas..........
latest report
Arno, You're more than welcome to try mine on.
latest report
Steve Sparks, my POC helmet cracked badly, love it but less than happy paying a ton of cash and have it split, a contact name would be great to see if i could it replaced.
snow conditions
skimottaret, you've got mail!
snow report
They did Ted Ligety's head a great service last season.....
latest report
Steve Sparks, thanks mate, I did email the guys I got it from who I expect are the UK distribs but didn't hear anything back. I'll have to follow up.
ski holidays
Spyderman, thanks - sounds like a good excuse for a 'shopping' trip to try on some POCs. wink Do you know if it's only the top-of-the-range models that use carbon fibre, or do they all?

skimottaret, what did for your helmet?
latest report
ChrisWo, got smacked in the face by a gate and went down, i think the crack was caused by the Slalom chin guard getting hung up in snow when i hit the deck and the twisting force of the guard cracked the helmet around the ear hole bit. it wasnt a particularily heavy crash.
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
Spyderman, thanks - sounds like a good excuse for a 'shopping' trip to try on some POCs. wink Do you know if it's only the top-of-the-range models that use carbon fibre, or do they all?

Only the Super Skull Comp so far, more info here: http://www.pocsports.com/products/3concepts.asp?id=10-Ski
snow report
Like a Motorsport or Motorbike helmet, it's dissipates impact forces by self destruction, rather a busted helmet than a busted head.
snow conditions
Spyderman, in my case it wasnt a hard impact but not enough strength at chin guard attachment point that was the culprit IMO. i guess you could argue that it was designed to fail due to a twisting load from the chin guard but im not sure...
ski holidays
skimottaret, Either that or it could have been pre-weakened from a previous crash or knock. Apart from Manufacturing defects, no helmet will ever come with a guarantee against breakage, because that's what they're designed to do. You like me are a big guy, when we crash the forces are pretty hefty.
I've you buy a new one you can have another make-up bag. wink
snow conditions
Spyderman, yeah your probably right but the shell looks very very thin where the chin guard attaches.. just a bit annoyed that such a pricey helmet only lasted 18 months. must remind myself to stop falling over snowHead
snow report
skimottaret, doesn't the small print say they're only good for a year Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, They could make it stronger and tougher by making the helmet thicker, but that increases weight of the helmet and more importantly if the helmet is so strong it can't destroy itself absorbing the impact, the shock would be transfered to your head.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy