Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding screw high spots

Poster: A snowHead
Just admiring my new K2 Kung Fujas tonight and noticed a couple of 'high spots' on the underside of the skis. Should I be worried about this - or this just normal? I presume these are from the mounting screws tightened from above to keep the bindings on. These are brand new, should I take them back to the shop?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inverted8, sounds dubious to me...not that I would know, just never seen that before except when I screwed up binding mounting...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inverted8, The binding holes were not drilled deep enough (or had debris at the bottom)so when the screw was tightened down it pushed the material at the bottom down, hence the lump. I would go bl**dy mad at them if they were my skis, no its not normal, take them back.

A shop did this to my daughters skis, and I had to do 4 base repairs as the "bumps" would not go back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inverted8, out of curiosity, what binding?

carroz, that's a classic shop stuff up on some Looks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inverted8, it would be unusual for the holes to be drilled too shallow as there's a distinct shoulder on a binding drill. Could be debris in the holes but the more likely culprit is that the binding screws are actually a tad too long. I've had this before when a standard 9mm depth binding drill is just a tad too short for the screws supplied - I've been caught a few times myself (latest was on Marker Griffons) so it's something I watch out for. It's very unlikely that a shop would ever check for this so whilst it is an error it's an understandable one. What the shop should have done is check the base as it's an easy job to remove the screws & grind a nats off the end & if it's done straight away the base recovers fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most likely cause is what spyderjon says, I've seen this on snowboards a couple of times when people have overtightened or used too long screws for the baseplates.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
on a brand new ski i would be taking it back looking for either a replacement pair or a substancial discount.... they stuffed up they should do something to put it right
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that. They are Marker Griffon Schizos bindings. I'll contact the shop.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just found out that the Kung Fujas come with the screw inserts already fitted to the ski. So it may seem that this is a manufacturing fault by K2. Anyone had experience fitting bindings onto these skis? Is it still possible to overtighten or use over long screws?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inverted8 wrote:
Just found out that the Kung Fujas come with the screw inserts already fitted to the ski......

The ones I've seen didn't however - these skis are shipped in the flat so they can be drilled for any ski. It's likely that it's the Marker binding screws that are a tad long. Just get 'em to back 'em out/trim/refix etc. If the base doesn't go back after applying a bit of pressure it'll just need a few passes with a metal scraper - don't let them grind the ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think some come with inserts for the SchizoFrantic binding and some come flat. Maybe there are different screw lengths for the two - but only guessing about this. Marker have other issues with the fitting - found on another forum http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172827

In any case the OP is right to go back to the shop and IMV should only accept a perfect ski.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update:

The flat versions do not come with inserts and I dont think they are suitable for the Schizofrantics bindings?

Took skis back to shop. Looks like the correct length screws were used. My guess is that someone tried the wrong screws in first, realised too late and tried to get away with the correct ones. No more 169s Kung Fujas anywhere in the world!! unless K2 are BullSh*ting. So cannot get new ones as replacements. My options: get them to repair, refund, buy another ski.

Really f**ked off with this:

Got given the wrong size from S&R! (useless basterds) - got refund.
Finally get the right size from Ski Bartlett - now I get this problem!
Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inverted8, refund, buy 169s from Sport Conrad. Sorted.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inverted8, refund then buy elsewhere as arv says

Thats 459 euros with the schizos mounted - and add 25 usually for delivery... comes to about £440 - ie £55 cheaper than Bartlett are quoting at the moment...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inverted8, get a refund & then go for some decent bindings wink

I'm actually being serious. I've mounted a good few pairs of Jester/Griffon's & whilst the toe/heel piece units are great (same as on the Duke/Baron) the flimsy mounting plate on the heelpiece is a POS. You can do a great mounting job & then flex the whole heelpiece on the plate!
ski holidays
Got refund then ordered another pair. Thanks arv for suggesting Sport Conrad they are excellent - ordered Sunday night, arrived Thursday. I'm now a happy bunny.

Little Angel
snow report
Inverted8,
Quote:
My guess is that someone tried the wrong screws in first, realised too late and tried to get away with the correct ones.

Very unlikely as the screws are supplied with the bindings. Glad you are now a happy bunny.
snow report
Hello. I know this issue has been resolved. But I too have experienced the Same problem.

I work at a Ski shop (Anything Technical) and i have mounted countless pairs of skis. When my boss orded in this years Kung Fujas I jumped at the Chance and bought my self a pair.

I noticed teh Binding tech is relatively new, but before i mounted my own, i was asked to mount up a couple of display pairs. I quickly put them together, tightening screws not slack but not recomended tightness (as i would eventually have to change binding length to fit customers boot).

I get round to Sorting my own out (Fujas 179), tightening them so they are firm this time. Get back home to show them off and crap!!!

On both skis, a pairs of screws in the exact same position (last two screws - tail end) had breached the base surface. There was only base discolouration marks "thankfully" and no rise at the base.

I was abit gutted, but under further inspection i noticed something - The thickness of the ski, at the last pair of screws (Tail end) {------- : : : Sad ----] is infact 1mm or 2 thinner! And since the screws are the same size no wonder this happened.

I am still abit gutted to this day, but atleast they were mine and not a customers.

Hope this helps Buyers and ski techies alike.
snow report
Jaded, Binding Mounting Rule No.2 - Always check the drill length against the ski's sidewall alongside the screw locations, especially the rearmost. rolling eyes
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Jaded, Binding Mounting Rule No.2 - Always check the drill length against the ski's sidewall alongside the screw locations, especially the rearmost. rolling eyes

Checking teh drill piece length isnt teh case here, as this specific ski (Kung Fujas and the otehr K2 factory team skis) comes with "Schizo Frantic inserts" so they are pre drilled. http://k2skis.com/skis/twin-tips/obsethed. To me this seems like a slight design flaw and me possibly being abit heavy handed with teh screwdriver NehNeh My advice - with Schitzo Frantic inserts" Dont tighten last pair of screws as much as you normally would.
ski holidays
You should always torque all the screws correctly - just shorten the rearmost screws slightly first.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy