Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family-style resort in France/Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at going skiing with some family in late January, we usually go over to Winter Park but it's just not financially viable this year! So instead we're thinking of driving to a European resort, most likely France or Italy, but I'm open to other suggestions! It's been a long time since I've had to research resorts, the only places I've skied in recent years are WP, Wengen, and a trip to Les Arcs about 5 years ago. Basically, this is what we're looking for:

* Doesn't have to be driveable in 1 day (more than happy to stop overnight in a hotel)
* Does need to have a good variety of terrain - 2 piste cruisers who dabble in a little bit of easy off-piste, and a 22-year old (me!) who will ski anything on the mountain and really wants to advance his off-piste skills
* Resort does need to have some charm - one of our main criticisms of WP is the lack of atmosphere and 'village' feel
* Ski in/ski out accommodation is ideal, but not absolutely necessary, self-catering is also fine if there are enough shops nearby
* Half-decent selection of places to go and eat in the evening
* English-speaking enough that we know we can get by (doesn't need to be completely anglified)
* As snowsure as possible, although obviously this is a pretty big ask!

Think that's about it, would be very grateful for any suggestions/info.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregor the viking,
Quote:

As snowsure as possible, although obviously this is a pretty big ask!

You are driving off peak season and prepared to drive any distance? In all honesty this is the eaisest criterion to fulfill, you just wait and see where the snow has fallen and drive to it.
There must be many resorts which fit your other criteria, Serre Chevalier is a personal favourite and popular with many on this forum and suits your criteria. Loking at the Northern French alps Morzine should be good.
Italy has less of a reputation for being snow sure La Thuile which is and would have good skiing lacks atmosphere.
I would look at places life Flims or Nendaz in Switzerland or maybe Austria if thats where the good snow is this january.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gregor the viking, PM on the way. As T-Bar said Serre Chevalier should be just the ticket.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregor the viking, Any reason for restricting yourself to France or Italy? Having driven in Italy before I vowed never to do again (have driven in France loads, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Spain and the Canaries and Italy was without doubt terrifying) Plus you're driving through one the worlds greatest ski destinations (Austria) to get there. What's the age group? Serfaus in Austria could fit the bill if there are younger kiddies or St Anton if you're all a bit older - both have nice villages and good off piste and very good snow records.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregor the viking, why not go to La Rosiere, then you can ski France and Italy on the same lift pass. The village fits all your criteria and it's not expensive when compared to the mega ski-stations in the same valley (Haute Tartentasie) it's also very snow sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serre Chev is a good choice.

Courchevel 1850 would be another.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, No, there's no reason, we're not really restricted at all, those were just the first two countries that popped into my head when I started thinking about it! The age group is mixed, it turns out there will most likely be 4 of us, ranging from age 19 up to mid-fifties, so kids are something we don't have to worry about. What was so terrifying about driving in Italy?

Out of interest, what is it about Serre Chevalier that makes it so popular on this forum? I checked out their website briefly, it claims there are 39 drag lifts there, does this seem about right? I can't imagine that being very popular with the parents or their knees! What is the off-piste like there?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, pm received, many thanks. Info added to the list of possiblilities to check out Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregor the viking,
Quote:

Out of interest, what is it about Serre Chevalier that makes it so popular on this forum? I checked out their website briefly, it claims there are 39 drag lifts there, does this seem about right? I can't imagine that being very popular with the parents or their knees! What is the off-piste like there?

Like any place it is not universally popular and gets the occasional detractor including on this forum. Personally I find it friendly in a low key way, has a good variety of slopes above the tree line ad through the woods. Plenty of reasonably priced accommodation.
Many of the tows are beginners ones in the nursery areas, there used to be far more elsewhere. There are still a couple that are difficult to avoid in exploring the whole area but basically tows are not now much of a feature outwith the Frejus sector and nursery slopes.
The off piste is excellent but aswith anywhere in january is a bit dependant on the base formed,but by late january you would be unlucky not to have a reasonable base ,though if this is important to you and you are driving I would choose to wait and decide close to departure.
I would say this about anywhere though. If there is a storm due to hit the Northern alps it would be a shame to miss the powder by going to the southern alps , the opposite is also true.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregor the viking, you can ski in Serre Che all day if you wish without using a drag lift. There are a couple of difficult ones, but they can be avoided if you study the piste map carefully. As t-bar says a lot of the remaining ones are beginners ones at the bases and in the nursery areas. Cretes drag in the Fréjus sector is one of the ones it is hard to avoid.
There is some wonderful off-piste around if the conditions are right.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregor the viking, Have to second what both Helen Beaumont and T Bar said. The skiing and weather (usually) are fantastic. The most charming villages has a spa baths with views upto a glacier.

There are two drag lifts that are pretty much unavoidable to get round. One is to get from Monetier > Chantemerle and the other is to get to Briancon's best skiing La Croix Noire. There is a strong possbily one of them is being replaced next summer with a chairlift from the top of the Frejus Telecabine to the top of Col Mea.

Both of them aren't particularly long and neither are that steep anyway.

http://plandespistes.serre-chevalier.com/

Have a look there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregor the viking, the parents probably did plenty of draglifts in the past! For moderately competent skiers they really don't present much of a problem - one of the steep ones in our area is being replaced with a chair for this season and I, for one, am sorry - because the lift kept the lazy skiers and incompetent boarders away. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy