Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cyprus - 1st week Jan - is it worth taking the ski kit?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a search and found reference to sunbathing in Cyprus but no-one has posted whether it is worth packing the ski kit for a trip to Cyprus.

We are going to visit my father-in-law in Cyprus for the first week in Jan as he is working out there and has an apartment we can stay in. We also have friends out there from the time when my wife worked on the island.

Given that we are going to Hemsedal in Norway for 8 days and will probably end up in Romania for Feb 1/2 term is it worth packing the ski kit when we go to Cyprus? I would think we might find time for a day or two on the slopes but certainly not any more.

By ski kit I mean the whole lot... trousers, jackets, goggles, helmets for my wife, my two children and myself.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndrewBailey, my uncle lives in Cyprus and they managed one day trip up to Troggos (somethign like that anyway) So I would say probably not...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the report at http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/18/cyprus-ski-club-celebrates-60-years , sounds unlikely you'll be able to ski. If it was just yourself, might be worth packing your kit, but not for the whole family.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions are best at Trodos in Feb.

But Jan can be good, too. Last season was completely white in early Jan. They had good snow. Click on the datebox below the webcam for last year's photos:

http://www.skicyprus.com/webcam/

The resort is tiny. A good skier will ride it out in halfaday.

But for pure novelty value, there are few better places.

Do it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndrewBailey, they were skiing at Troodos in mid-March when we visited in 1994, did a bit of sledging, weird because in the afternoon we went down to the coast in 75F heat! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses. Looks like we will watch the weather and if they have decent snow take some kit, if not then not.
Might be worthwhile trying just for the novelty!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndrewBailey, skied christmas and new year ,for most of the early nineties, but only cause i had a land rover and a will to climb. plenty of snow but the lifts wernt working. cant remember when the lifts opened th
ough. it was quite wierd to be up there on our own but enjoyable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lived in Cyprus for 4 years and have skied Troodos many many times, the skiing is very limited as the real estate hasn't been developed, very busy with locals and HM Armed Forces who are based nearby. The lifts are all drag lifts, there's only one drag on each of the 4 slopes, brilliant "Novelty Skiing", as you can drive down to Episkopi, Kolossi or Akrotiri in about an hour and hit the beach after a morning skiing Happy Not that I remember the weather being beach worthy in Jan (good surf kayaking at Curium at that time of year). You can hire half decent kit really cheaply for the day, there's a hire shop at the top. Parking is a nightmare though and avoid the weekends. Longest run is similar (slightly longer) in size to that in the snow dome at Milton Keynes, but if you get a quiet day there's enough to keep you occupied for a couple of hours Happy[/b]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy