Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Movement Goliath Sluff reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen the one at TGR and Citizenski reviews but haven't been able to find much more. Anyone have any comments on the Goliath Sluff? I'm most interested in the 174cm length. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a pair of these in 184 last season and enjoyed them a lot. As the widest skis I have owned they were a step up from anything else float wise in the soft stuff but still nice and agile and happy in fairly tight trees. On piste the extra width made them feel a bit sluggish and heavy but they did grip well. Any specific you want to know?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. I'm mostly interested in how they perform in crud and the feel of the ski. I usually ski at moderate speeds on steep terrain and open bowls at major US resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Squaw Valley, Jackson Hole). I like a ski that is responsive, has good snow feel and gives the rider a lot of feedback as opposed to damp, smooth ski. I also like an agile, lighter feeling ski that is easy to turn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way, the skis I'm looking to replace are 6 year old Atomic R:Ex 168cm which I've liked very much. I'm looking for something a bit wider and a better performer off piste in soft snow and powder. My on piste skis are 165cm Fisher RX8 which I'm also very happy with.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also like responsive skis as opposed to overdamped feelingless skis and i think movement skis in general are like this. They are also usually pretty light for their dimensions. My sluffs are definately the easiest skis i have used for cruddy snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moderate speed wont necessarily get the best out of Movement's, they love being opened up. Also they're relatively stiff. Not sure about the Sluff, but it's bigger brother (Goliath 191) and smaller brothers (Thunder, Gladiator) are pretty stiff, though I thought I read somewhere that the sluff was friendlier. Might be a consideration though depending on your size / style. The gladiator is the best all-around ski I've ever ridden and i think the sluff aint too different to it (wider, not a full twin, but similar characteristics beyond that i reckon??)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm Sluff was a bit small for me but I loved the 191 Goliath, seriously sick ski! Did'nt find them stiff at all, really responsive and quick from edge to edge and relatively easy to ski, great float in the pow...you might find my review on them if you look hard enough! I've skiied Squaw quite a lot (lived there for 6 months) and think they will be pretty well suited to the terrain you'll find there?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Sluffs are softer than the Thunders I had before and easier at slower speeds
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did a pair in an issue last season: here's the unedited copy. The Sluffs are the same, as far as we know, as the Goliath Sluffs.

Movement Sluff 2010-model skis www.movementskis
Movement are a Swiss-based company who aim squarely at the freeride sector of the market. Producing what they’d class as ‘skiers skis’ (and we’d tend to agree with them) means you’ll not be making your first turns on a pair, though plenty of instructors and guides have been using them for several seasons. They’re also ridden by our trio of semi-tamed insane Scots; Jamie and Gav MacKay and Ben Thorburn. That’s not to say you HAVE to flip a cliff to ride a pair. It’s just nice to know you can.

The 2010 Sluffs were called ‘Goliath Sluffs’ when they appeared last year. At the test I got on the older models and, in typical confusion, muddled them up with the girder-like Goliaths. After a couple of runs I thought that I was a riding god and nearly retired on the spot, before realising that the wood-cored Sluff derivative has a softer flex and is altogether more forgiving. Not by any means a twiddlestick, but a whole lot easier to use. With 99mm underfoot and a longish nose, plus a 23m radius, we’re looking at a sort of superfat GS ski for all-mountain-to-pow.
The longish turn radius and stiffer tail means you need to be one grade of legs better than, say, a Scott Mission to be fully relaxed all the time, though you could take that as a challenge. After a couple of vigorous days dismantling Meribel’s piste and off-piste areas, it became clear that I wasn’t being totally toasted by the Sluffs and, with a bit of input, I could stay in touch with skiers a whole lot better and have a ball at the same time. As with most tosionally-stiff skis with a bit of sidecut and decent flex, these engage well enough on piste and can be counted as true all-rounders.
Verdict
Great base gives fantastic glide properties, sensible shape lets you make the most of the mountain and sufficient width makes off-piste easy peasy. If you have an idea how to drive a ski through a turn and want something for everywhere these could well do it for you. Pricing should be fair; it has been up to now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prosper, I tried these in Engelberg last year in some 1 day old heavily skied powder turning mogully. They felt stiff in the tails and threw me all over the place in the bumps. Maybe it was the conditions but they actually felt stiffer than my old 186 Legend Pros. I was planning on trying the 191 Goliaths but I was scared off by the Sluffs. I'd agree with Brian that these need to be skied hard to to get the best out of them. I have skied a pair of 184 Yaka Jam's (my brothers) and would agree that Movement skis are definitely on the lively side vs the Dynastars which are much more damped.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to all for the replies. It sounds like a really good ski for me. I've purchased a pair in 174cm with Marker Griffon bindings and am looking forward to getting them on the snow. I'm post my impressions after riding them a few times.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just saw this thread and thought I'd resurrect it as I was in Avoriaz this weekend and tried a pair of 181 Sluffs at the ski test.
I thought they were simply the most fun I'd had on a ski in a very long time.
They love to go fast and seemed to forgive me for just about all of my faults!
So after the test I was pretty happy to buy a pair but just thought I'd check reviews first.
My problem now is that all the reviews I wonder if they're too good for me! I'm new to this going all over the mountain lark and therefore don't want something that's going to stretch me everytime I put them on but they just felt great to me.
At the end of every run I had a grin from ear to ear! After a couple of hours of getting used to them I also thought they were good on the piste!
So my question is should I just ignore the reviews and get them or are there others skis out there that will give me that same grin??
I also tried a pair of black crows (can't remember the name though), Salomon Shoguns which I found gave me no confidence at all at speed) and Scott Crusades which I did feel were probably for a better skier than me!
I'm 95kgs and 173 if that helps!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will S wrote:

to go fast and seemed to forgive me for just about all of my faults!
So after the test I was pretty happy to buy a pair but just thought I'd check reviews first.
My problem now is that all the reviews I wonder if they're too good for me! I'm new to this going all over the mountain lark and therefore don't want something that's going to stretch me everytime I put them on but they just felt great to me.

In my personnal opinion a ski that pushes you & ensures that you have to ski well on it can be nothing but a good thing. Surely if you're in the position where you're learning this has to be good all round.

Quote:
I thought they were simply the most fun I'd had on a ski in a very long time.

Quote:
At the end of every run I had a grin from ear to ear! After a couple of hours of getting used to them I also thought they were good on the piste!

I would have thought these 2 statements further to the possibility the skis themselves will help improve your technique have got to be all of the answer you need when buying a pair of skis?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fran4short, can't argue with your logic Very Happy
I was just scared by the reviews. I know my level and I would argue that this ski is not aimed at me going on the reviews. But I can't argue with the test!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will S, ski more, read online reviews less Wink
ski holidays
Right, job done, gonna get the 181 Sluffs, now just to find a stockist in Geneva... Oh, and test the Line Prophet 100s first.
Is it any wonder my wife calls me a Faffer!
Puzzled
ski holidays
no, it is not. You are so close to making a decision but along come the prophet 100's ... perfect stall ... in geneva it could take a week or two to find them ...plenty more time to consider your decision.

just buy them, if you like the prophets well, there is always next year or end of year sales Very Happy
ski holidays
Bought them!
Picked them up last Saturday and skied the weekend with them in Morzine and PDS. Found some good deep fresh stuff on Saturday in Nyon and although vis was non-existent the skis were awesome Very Happy
Sunday was a beautiful day and skied the tracked out stuff on col du fornet and they were like rockets!
Advice happily taken! Ski more read less wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy