Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blighty

Poster: A snowHead
From the Met Office

Quote:
ADVANCE WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Northern Scotland, Eastern Scotland, South West Scotland, Northern Ireland, North West England, North East England, The Midlands, Wales, South West England, Central Southern England, South East England and East Anglia AND Lincolnshire.

Issued by the Met Office at 09:56 on Thursday, 17 February 2005.
This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow and Ice.

Colder weather over the weekend is a prelude to more persistent snow and icy conditions and risk of disruption across southern and eastern Britain for next week. This early warning captures the wintry transition this weekend, focusing on the initial potential disruption from snow and ice. A further early warning will be issued this weekend to cover likely disruption next week.

On Saturday, scattered sleet or snow showers are likely in northern and eastern coastal parts, more particularly upland areas, and less confidently parts of Wales and the southwest of England but the threat of disruption is low.

Sunday, snow showers will begin to extend further inland across England from the east coast, with the risk of outbreaks of more persistent snow spreading across much of England and Wales during Monday, possibly also affecting eastern and southern Scotland and eastern Northern Ireland. Local accumulations of 3-5cm are likely across much of England and Wales, with 5-10cm possible in upland parts exposed to the northeasterly winds. Monday morning appears particularly at risk and is considered the most likely to bring widespread dangerous driving conditions and disruption to transport services.

This warning will be updated around 0900 tomorrow Friday 18th February.

For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.
Transmitted by the Met Office at 09:56 on Thursday 17 February
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Northern Scotland, Eastern Scotland, South West Scotland, Northern Ireland, North West England, North East England, The Midlands, Wales, South West England, Central Southern England, South East England and East Anglia AND Lincolnshire.

is there anywhere left?!!! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scilly Isles?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
http://img.snow-forecast.com/images2/t_uksnownext3to6days.jpg

Emmm, not a lot no wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Code:

WOUK66 EGRR 170943

EARLY WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

EARLY WARNING OF HEAVY SNOW

ISSUED BY THE MET OFFICE AT 09:43 ON THURSDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2005.

OVERALL RISK ASSESSMENT: THE PROBABILITY OF DISRUPTION DUE TO
SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS IN PART OF THE UNITED KINGDOM WITHIN THE
NEXT 144 HOURS IS 60 PERCENT.

REGIONAL RISK ASSESSMENT FOR THE OCCURRENCE OF SEVERE WEATHER
CONDITIONS BETWEEN 12:00 ON SATURDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2005 AND 06:00 ON
TUESDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2005.

NORTHERN SCOTLAND 30% PERCENT
EASTERN SCOTLAND 40% PERCENT
SOUTH WEST SCOTLAND 20% PERCENT
NORTHERN IRELAND 20% PERCENT
NORTH WEST ENGLAND 30% PERCENT
NORTH EAST ENGLAND 50% PERCENT
THE MIDLANDS 40% PERCENT
WALES 20% PERCENT
SOUTH WEST ENGLAND 30% PERCENT
CENTRAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND 30% PERCENT
SOUTH EAST ENGLAND 40% PERCENT
EAST ANGLIA AND LINCOLNSHIRE 50% PERCENT

ALL OTHER REGIONS LESS THAN 20%

THIS IS THE FIRST WARNING OF DISRUPTION DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND ICE.

COLDER WEATHER OVER THE WEEKEND IS A PRELUDE TO MORE PERSISTENT SNOW
AND ICY CONDITIONS AND RISK OF DISRUPTION ACROSS SOUTHERN AND
EASTERN BRITAIN FOR NEXT WEEK. THIS EARLY WARNING CAPTURES THE
WINTRY TRANSITION THIS WEEKEND, FOCUSING ON THE INITIAL POTENTIAL
DISRUPTION FROM SNOW AND ICE. A FURTHER EARLY WARNING WILL BE ISSUED
THIS WEEKEND TO COVER LIKELY DISRUPTION NEXT WEEK.

ON SATURDAY, SCATTERED SLEET OR SNOW SHOWERS ARE LIKELY IN NORTHERN
AND EASTERN COASTAL PARTS, MORE PARTICULARLY UPLAND AREAS, AND LESS
CONFIDENTLY PARTS OF WALES AND THE SOUTHWEST OF ENGLAND BUT THE
THREAT OF DISRUPTION IS LOW.

SUNDAY, SNOW SHOWERS WILL BEGIN TO EXTEND FURTHER INLAND ACROSS
ENGLAND FROM THE EAST COAST, WITH THE RISK OF OUTBREAKS OF MORE
PERSISTENT SNOW SPREADING ACROSS MUCH OF ENGLAND AND WALES DURING
MONDAY, POSSIBLY ALSO AFFECTING EASTERN AND SOUTHERN SCOTLAND AND
EASTERN NORTHERN IRELAND. LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3-5CM ARE LIKELY
ACROSS MUCH OF ENGLAND AND WALES, WITH 5-10CM POSSIBLE IN UPLAND
PARTS EXPOSED TO THE NORTHEASTERLY WINDS. MONDAY MORNING APPEARS
PARTICULARLY AT RISK AND IS CONSIDERED THE MOST LIKELY TO BRING
WIDESPREAD DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS AND DISRUPTION TO TRANSPORT
SERVICES.
FOR ENQUIRIES REGARDING THIS WARNING - PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL MET OFFICE.
TRANSMITTED BY THE MET OFFICE AT 09:43 ON THURSDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2005
THIS WARNING WILL BE UPDATED AROUND 0900 TOMORROW FRIDAY 18TH
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tomski01, Glasgows not on the list! We never get snow Crying or Very sad , but who cares cos we can drive to Glencoe in 2hrs!!! hurrah!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They were talking about Easterly winds on the Beeb this morning. Easterly winds are generally extremely good news for the Scottish areas. They are generally cold and so even if there isn't loads of precipitation, any snow which does fall doesn't get wiped out by stupidly mild south westerlies.

Also, it seems, most runs have some sort of base at the moment, so provided nothing goes wrong in the next few days, this could turn out to be the season that the Scottish areas need.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee, im jealous. Crying or Very sad

whats the chances of this cold spell lasting until the weekend of the 5th-6th march?! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skanky,

Where do you get that info from? I see it'll be updated at 0900 tomorrow, so I'd like to check it then Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First one and second one.

Both have the same data, just different formats.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
<parp> Embarassed Laughing
Has anyone seen a wind forecast for this period?

Quote:
whats the chances of this cold spell lasting until the weekend of the 5th-6th march?!

Hi Tom - If our usual crackpot weather is anything to go by I would expect a thaw cycle to consolidate all this new snow then another cold snap if the long term predictions are right.
Think positive m8 and you'll be fine snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, Chris - im ever the optimist, but for some reason this whle snow/scotland thing always gets me worried!!!

I have a 100% prediction of fun either way, the natural alternative to skiing is walking, and the natural complement to both is beer Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Temperatures are forecast to remain cold at between -3 and -6 at 900m and wind speeds on Friday and Saturday are forecast to be around 35-45mph with gusts of up to 60mph, so it will feel more like -20 directly in the wind. Sunday looks likely to see the winds easing slightly.

Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind024.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind048.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind072.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind096.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind120.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/maps/brwind144.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/features/wind_arrows.shtml
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Chris - im ever the optimist, but for some reason this whle snow/scotland thing always gets me worried!!!

You sure your not confusing worry for excitement? Laughing
snow conditions
skanky, Thanks for the wind charts Smile
Looking forward to Tuesday/Wednesday snowHead
North Yorks moors look like they may get some interesting weather Cool
Looks like a lot of kids (and big kids Very Happy )may be sledging one day next week instead of going to school Laughing
snow report
so rockyrobin, what year are you in then?
...reminds me of that politically incorrect gag about 3 pupils in kindergarten running in a race - which kid won - ...... - the 14 year old with the 'learning difficulties' of course
[poor gag i know - don't wish to offend anyone - there are worse versions out there folks]
latest report
rockyrobin wrote:
skanky, Thanks for the wind charts Smile
Looking forward to Tuesday/Wednesday snowHead
North Yorks moors look like they may get some interesting weather Cool
Looks like a lot of kids (and big kids Very Happy )may be sledging one day next week instead of going to school Laughing

One or two days possibly. I reckon the country has a reasonable chance of seeing some cold/snowy days over the next week (or two? Little Angel ) , with some places seeing a lot better chance than that. Scottish skiers will think it's Christmas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skanky wrote:
Scottish skiers will think it's Christmas.

You mean warm, wet and windy?
ski holidays
doogo, I'm in my 32'nd year but still young at heart Very Happy
You going to be doing a sicky next week for some sliding action?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
skanky wrote:
Scottish skiers will think it's Christmas.

You mean warm, wet and windy?

Laughing

Well one out of three ain't bad. Confused
snow conditions
im liking this....http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.pdf

especially the 'planning outlook' at the bottom of the second page snowHead snowHead

PS Courtesy of Geoff Monk and Associateshttp://www.mwis.org.uk
ski holidays
The weather this morning has suggested that the east coast from Edinburgh to Hastings will receive between 8 - 10 cms on Sunday / Monday with more to follow the rest of the week.
snow report
Depending how far in land those showers push we may finally get some of the Pennine Ski tows operational next week.

Typical I can see it now. Good skiing in the Pennines and I'll be away in the Alps. Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

Typical I can see it now. Good skiing in the Pennines and I'll be away in the Alps.

i feel for ya! wink
latest report
The models are really starting to have a problem with next week's set-up. There's now little agreement (between runs let alone models) as to whether the winds will be full-blown easterlies and how long it will last. It could be touch and go for Scotland (esp. early next week), but I'd expect enough snow to make people happy. The NW of Scotland *might* get a bit warmer Mon/Tue as the blocking HP's to the NW are brough a bit further SE. We're still on for cold and snow (early) next week, esp. in the East and cold and snow for Scotland for the weekend. After that, there's a sort of trend to downgrade it, but as it's changing every few hours, I really wouldn't like to say until Monday. Interestingly, every now and then GFS wants to create a LP over Ireland and move it down the west coast, up the channel and into France. If this did happen (not in the latest run), it could bring lots of snow to southern areas (though if it dragged enough warm air north, that could be rain) and eventually pile into the Alps (bringing warmer precipitation if not actually rain). It's done it twice now, and each time left it out of the following run. Wouldn't normally log on over the weekend, but might have to this time. Could be interesting next week, if not as cold and snowy for as long as we originally thought.
ski holidays
Quote:
After that, there's a sort of trend to downgrade it

Though in typical fashion the latest GFS has gone against that trend a bit (seems to keep delaying some aspects though). Should have waited for the whole run before posting the above. Embarassed
Though I notice Philip Eden doesn't think we'll get much (lasting) snow. Confused
snow conditions
Quote:

Though I notice Philip Eden doesn't think we'll get much (lasting) snow.

i tell ya, bloody british weather. Twisted Evil

and ive been going around telling everyone that winters back in force next week and that scotlands gonna be coated in the white stuff, hope i dont end up looking like a fool when we are all sunbathing on Cairngorm! Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomski01, I thinkS cotland will be fine - there may be a slightly warmer period there midweek, but we're still looking at a good week's cold weather (was longer before), though it's a little less stable now I think than it was looking a couple of days ago (not sure why though, would need to spend longer on the charts). I think Mr Eden was talking about England - I only caught part of the broadcast.

Anyway, you can blame me. Confused
ski holidays
Bum. I'm up in Scotland for the next few days - with non skiers & will have no chance to get near the slopes, whatever the weather. Nevermind - I love the snow in any situation!
latest report
PA Weather Centre seem to think it could last for a couple of weeks and I've seen reports that a Weathernet spokesperson said they expect it could, as well. So despite it looking a less stable set-up (in my eyes Embarassed ), all of the professionals seem to think we could set for a prolonged cold/snowy spell. At least I didn't say it would break down (and they get more info. than we do).
Confused

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-02-05 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skanky, maybe they are being bribed by the Scottish (and Devonshire?!) tourist industry to say that?!

::paranoia:: Confused

PS no blame here, well so long as it snows! wink
snow report
Quote:
PS no blame here, well so long as it snows!

Already started. snowHead

(Don't worry about the rain in Aveimore. That'll turn to snow soon enough.)
latest report
Quote:
After that, there's a sort of trend to downgrade it, but as it's changing every few hours, I really wouldn't like to say until Monday. Interestingly, every now and then GFS wants to create a LP over Ireland and move it down the west coast, up the channel and into France. If this did happen (not in the latest run), it could bring lots of snow to southern areas (though if it dragged enough warm air north, that could be rain) and eventually pile into the Alps (bringing warmer precipitation if not actually rain). It's done it twice now, and each time left it out of the following run.

To illustrate this, the latest GFS has created a far better, and more stable cold spell, and recreated that LP system - and done something different with it. Still, it's only one model (if it was possibly the first to spot this cold spell).
ski holidays
well, it begins....tho looks like Scotland is gonna come a poor second to down south in the snowfall stakes!

Also, how reliable are long range forecasts? cos the 14 day metcheck forcast for Cairngorm is not a pretty sight for my long awaited weekend in March!! Confused
latest report
tomski01, not particularly. 14 days is way, way too far to tell. 06z GFS is showing more snow a bit further north. That'll change again (several times). The models are showing some disagreement as to how long this will last, though the UKMO FAX charts are looking pretty good. The biggest worry (dor Scotland at least) is that there is a large pool of warm air forecast to build over Iceland (channelled up through the Atlantic and up eastern Europe). What this warm air pool does and where it goes will determine what happens there.
snow conditions
any idea on how much snow the Leeds area will receive? local forecasts seem to changing on every forecast!
latest report
gregh, we always seem to miss it these days Sad
snow conditions
Northallerton to Teeside 6-10 cm on the groud and still falling, should be alot more up on the Hamblrton hills anf NY Moors, but cant see them fromthe bedroom window dueto the snow falling. Quite windy, just off downstairs for some porridge then out sledging with the kids. May even takesome skis with me. If so I shall visit Barn Hill.

Resort: Barn Hill, West Rounton
Domain: Alan Hutchinson's Farm
Author: Frosty The Snowman
Date: 20/02/2005
Our holiday: Sunday, day off work
Basics : Out the door, turn left, left at the pub and through Angus Gaudies field
Lift system :None
The terrain : 1 slope about 60m long, medium blue acording to the piste map. This is a very low resort (about 20m) it is not very snowsure
The snow : nice but not much depth 10cm, grooming has been describedas poor
Off-piste : All off piste
The resort : Pleasant English village, 2 pubs but the Horseshoes is a 50s throwback, lots of nosey neighbours but generally locaks are very friendly. No more expensive than other similar resorts
Food : Nice little village resort, lunch at the Grey Horse is superb and only 10 Euros (take sterling), No eating facilities on the hill, but we did have a hog roast there one year
Accommodation : Catered House. The host Mrs Frosty is a good host and sometimes throws in some extra treats for the guestes wink Costs: None
Conclusion: Could do with more artificial snowmaking facilities, and some new pistes, have heard a new 4 man chair will be coming next year. It will be caled Le Sofa
snow conditions
Woo we have about 2 inches in the North East as I woke up today, unfortunatley no where to ski on it though rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy