Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres and Chains - The Law

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

generally have a max speed clearly marked on the tyre wall.

don't all tyres have their speed rating clearly marked? My Vredestein Snowtrac 3 are speed rated to something way over anything I'd ever do - 130 mph or something similarly daft. They were a speedrating higher than I ordered because the ones I wanted (T I think) weren't in stock and the higher speedrated ones weren't much more.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing wrote:
DB, So over ambitious tyre salesmen aren't confined to Kwik fit Toofy Grin

but kwik fit don't do decent snowtyres
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do M+S marked tyres count as winter tyres then? My Normal Land Rover tyres are marked M+S so would they be suitable (22mm tread at the moment after 20K miles use).

Does anyone do tyre chains for 265/70-16 tyres, I cant find any
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
madmole, M+S marked Landy tyres are what's known as ''All Season'' better than pure summer tyres, but not as good as winter tyres in winter conditions. They'll be OK for 95% of what you'll come up against as you have the benefit of 4wd too. You'll still need to carry chains, ideally for both axles, but as a minimum 1 set.

Chains for that size from www.snowchains.co.uk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have not had time to read all this thread, but in case it helps. As I am out all season every year I always have winter tyres. The car I have now is not 4x4 but they are still very good and I did not need my chains at all last season although I did come close a few times. I bought them in Switzerland as they seemed to be cheaper there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Spyderman, thats what I was looking for. I have chains for my car (funnily enough only ever used them in Hertfordshire!! despite many trips up Cairgorm and in Europe). Need some for the Landy, but with over size Mud tyres, 4x4, traction control and locking diffs its gonna have to be really bad to stop her. Cant see how chains will make much difference to her as they will probably just sit in the deep tread between blocks, but if they keep the gendarmerie happy thats a plus

Also need to talk to you about lessons at Hemel, but I'll PM you on that
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madmole, 265/70-16 aren't that big Laughing I've got 9.00x16 on mine which is 255/100R16 in metric. Cool I put winter tyres (Pirelli ice & snow) on my Landy last winter, same size as yours, made a huge difference. Spent 2 days rescuing BMW drivers when we had the snow last winter, Laughing
My military mud tyres are scary in the wet, let alone snow & ice.

Chains make a huge difference, if you want to find out just put them on and drive some mud.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mmmm must try some chains in mud. Mind you I dont have any probs in mud as is with the Khumo KM71's on there now and she gets plenty of mud time. Been around scotland a lot in the snow on BFG AT's, BFG muds and never had problems mind

Sorry guys for hijacking the thread and turning into a 4x4 one
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmole, You'll have to come out and play then Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The garage found my winter tyres, there had been a mix up in storage. Thankfully I don't need to buy any new winter tyres this year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, that must be a relief. It seems some aspects of winter tyres are simpler in the UK because my winter tyres are the only ones I have in storage Laughing .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peura,

At first I was worried but then realized if they were lost then the garage would have to replace them (or at least bear a significant part of the replacement cost). As I have to replace at least two of them next year anyway it probably would of worked out better.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, lol yeah you're probably right snowHead Laughing .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy