Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton / Nasserein

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If I can bring myself to focus on skiing issues for just a moment rather than than the running sore which is the attitude of the SCGB, I would be grateful for some expert advice from any of you kind people.

I'm off to to St Anton (for the first time) on 29th Feb, staying in the Mark Warner Hotel Rosanna, which apparently is in the centre of town near the station. A friend of mine is trying to get a late deal for the same week, and has a couple of options in Nasserein (as the Rosanna is full), which I understand is a 'hamlet' just out of town.

She is a second week skier, and will be travelling alone. She's obviously keen to be staying somewhere convenient for us to meet up, both on the piste (i.e. accessible for an inexperienced skier) and apres ski (i.e. accessible for a very experienced drinker).

If anyone knows the geographical layout of St Anton, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on the suitability/interconectivity of Nasserein. Cheers all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off to St Anton on the 21st Feb (for the first time too!) so I'll be interested to read any replys on this thread. Sorry I cant help with any info right now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never been to St Anton, but speaking to a work colleague, there isn't much there to help build the confidence of a second week skier. He went last year and said that many of the reds were very purple, and the blues were few and far between, and quite challenging. I took a look at the piste map, and it does look predominantly red/black around St. A.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not a beginners resort unfortunatley and the easy blue into town from Gampen is often very crowded. Especially later on with people coming out of the Mooserwirt and Kangaruh half cut. The Blue at the base of the Nasserien Gondola is the best bet for safe practicing for beginners/early intermedietes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave. Nasserein is on the outskirts of St Anton, but not as far as St Jakob, which is where quite a lot of people stay. It's about 1 km from the centre of the resort, so about 10-15 mins walk. Here's http://www.ski-europe.com/images/townmaps/stanton-townmap.gif a plan with distances keyed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Click on the blue to get the plan. I don't know what happened with the code.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Code looks alright to me David Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nasserein is fine for skiing from these days now the nice new gondola has been put in. And it isnt too far to walk into town from. Probably only 10 minutes.

And yes, skiing back home in the evenings, do stop off at the Moose, Kagaruh, tapps or Gradiolas for the entertainment before finishing.

We just got back from the Montjola, about 20 mins walk uphill from St Anton. It was OK though as the hotel had a minibus to take us to the sopes before and after skiing. But not for the apres ski, or to get home after leaving the Moos at 8:00pm. But there are plenty of reasonably prices taxis around.

Mind you. as others have said, I reckon second week skiers may have trouble on the piste. We jokingly reckoned almost every run would be a black in most other resorts. And what isnt too steep gets a tad on the crowded side, especially the Happy Valley in the afternoons.

But it just reinforced itself as my favourite resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much guys - quick and comprehensive advice - normal service is resumed! Very Happy David - is there anything that you don't have up your sleeve? Wink

Thanks as well for the warnings about piste ratings. I had heard that St Anton is not the 'cruisiest' of resorts, but I'm sure Heidi will be able to handle it (enough to have a good time anyway) - she's definitely one of the best beginners I've seen. Last year by day 5 we had her going down reds without difficulty (although that was only Cervinia). As long as she can get to the Moosewirt I'm sure she'll have a good week!

Cheers again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave. The place to head for with Heidi is the Rendl. It's a separate ski area (you get a ski bus to the base station, which is not far) served by a gondola. It's lovely and sunny up there, the crowds are limited, and the terrain is intermediate-friendly. It also has a nice restaurant.

Be careful with the run back to the valley, which is long and has one or two tricky sections. It may be best to take the gondola back down again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you will gather from David's description Dave, Rendl is a beach Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep. Rendl would be a good place for you to go. It has some uncrowded cruisy bits, but with smashing offpisty bits between, so you can pick your own snow to play in.

And you no longer need to get a bus to the base station from the top end of town, as there is now a rope tow / moving carpet thingy which will get you there from the car/bus/taxi place where the old railway level crossing was.

Agree on the nice restaurant bit, and the beach is fun, and if you really need to (and dont we all) it has a speed trap so you can see just how fast you are travelling

And if you feel confident enough for the ski down (with the tricky bits) there is a cracking bar about 500 metres before the end of the ski out. Stop there for some apres ski and ski down the rest in the moonlight (I didnt advise that to you Wink !).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave,
Nasserein would be good but it's best to stay in a place near to a bus stop. Everyplace seems to say they are 5 mins from a lift but in ski boots carrying skis it's more like 20 mins (The link at the end of this post contains a map of the town).

Unter-Gand on the other hand is right out of town (even further than St Jakob) but it is serviced by Bus Line 2 and Line 5. Line 2 goes right through the built up villages of St Anton, takes ages and is very crowded. Line 5 however goes right up the main road to the west terminal (and onto Rendl I believe) and stops somewhere near the Rosanna - a lot quicker and less hassle.
Unter-gand is cheaper, the night bus also goes to UnterGand before St Jacob and the other villages.

You can do an accomodation search here ....
http://homes.tiscover.com/stanton/f_homepage...2.html

Lech also has less demanding terrain if St Anton proves too difficult.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would agree with the general comments about the skiing at St Anton being a bit tough for a 2nd week skier, unless she is young/brave or a natural. Having said that, Nasserein is a pretty good place to stay, with the newish gondola, and I would reccommend the Nassereinerhof hotel for really excellent food.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy