Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I made a mistake? (New boots too big?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think you are all about to tut and tell me I've been stupid but...

Having concluded that a trip to a local store (that people here kindly recommended) was in order to get my first set of boots I actually was away elsewhere in the country today and went into a different shop (remaining nameless) to take a look at their old stock sale sell-off which is a fraction of the price of the recommended local place. I've come away with a pair (not heat fitted yet) and my doubts about them are growing the more I read on this section of the forum.

My feet were measured with socks on and I was told I was 26. I said that the hire boots I'd used the last 3 years were 25.5. He said I'd need 26 as that's what the measuring thing said and as hire boots get packed out/have thin liners. I did try on a pair of 25 (or might have been 25.5) with the liner in and my toes were touching the ends and felt quite tight (and I have had slightly sore toes from hire boots). So I took his advice and I've come away with a pair of 26 in the same model. Not heat fitted yet. We agreed I'd go to the local place near home for heating once I was sure about them.

What I'm kicking myself about now is not asking to try my feet in the shell, without the liner. (He didn't offer either, it was all very quick.) Having just done this at home there is around 3cm gap behind my heel, possibly more (hard to measure).

Any advice?:

Option 1. Take them back to the store and see if I can change them for the size down. (Problem - it's a few hours drive away) And should I be able to feel the end of the boots with my toes when in a skiing position, as I can with 25/25.5?

Option 2. Go and get the 26s heat fitted locally, then try them in the local freezer for a few hours, then if I find they're too big, write them off or see if local place can help pack them out?!?

Option 3. Flog on Ebay. Then go to recommended local place with tail between legs and pay up...

I think I know what the answer is. BUT: With the liners in they feel very good, not too big, nice and snug, tiny lift in the heel, no movement elsewhere. So I hope I'm worrying about nothing. But having read more on here tonight a 3cm gap worries me, for when they pack down. Also some posts on here seem to imply that they should be really quite uncomfortable before heating/wearing in!

Puzzled

Alternatively - if anybody wants a pair of womens Rossignol Electra E12 in size 26 do let me know. I paid £99 and would take offers. Still as new.

Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
15-25mm for a comfort fit. 30mm is too big.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not just the size, it's the shape too - just like shoes. You might fit on size 6 shoe, whereas another just doesn't suit your foot. Once the boots have been fitted and tweaked if necessary you should be able to feel your toes at the end when you stand up, and they just ease back once you flex your ankles into a ski position. My current boots were properly fitted and the fitter warned me that when I first put them on they'd feel very tight round my toes (which are sore) but not to panic. They are a super fit now, but until I'd worn them for an hour or two in the evening, round the house, they still felt a bit tight. People say that if they feel comfy right away they're probably too big. Maybe take them back and start again?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take deep breath contact www.solutions4feet.co.uk make an appointment if you are lucky the cost of the journey etc may still be less than a full price pair of boots Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, I did a similar thing. I'd always skied in Mondo 27 boots, whether hire boots or a pair of rear-entry Nordicas that I'd had for years. That's what the boot measuring thingy always told me. I'm a UK size 8.

Then I bought a new pair of Nordica boots mondo 27 and was in agony the first time I skied in them. They felt fine when I tried them on and walked around in them but somehow skiing did not work. I ended up giving up after an hour and hiring boots for the rest of my skiing holiday.

I then asked for advice on here and was told the boots were probably too big. I couldn't get the liners out to do a shell check myself, but I was convinced after the advice I received to visit a bootfitter and get some properly fitted boots.

I now have new Salomon boots in size 25.5! I've only worn them a couple of times at UK indoor slopes and they still feel very tight around the toes. Not comfortable to walk in because my toes feel squished but skiing in them feels OK so far.

So a bit of an expensive mistake for me, but in fairness I bought the Nordicas for £75 and sold them for £55 on fleabay. The Salomons cost £160 though and I also had to fork out £30 for new foot beds. Trust me to have feet that don't suit the cheaper boots!

There's some great advice on here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wigan, sorry to say it is way too big.... it may feel fine now but within a week or two of skiing (probably less time) they will feel sloppy if you have over 30mm then you may need to come down more than just a size, but if you measure 26 or slightly more it is common to drop a shell size to get something resembling performance from the fit...the biggest problem si the boots are all so oversized to make them feel nice and comfortable when you try them on shell check is the only way to check that there is enough (or too much) space in the boot
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wigan, I am a boot buying novice (having only purchased one pair ever!) but I recall from my fitting having to remove my socks and being fitted initially in just the shell of the boot. The fitter then used a bamboo stick type thing to measure the gap between my heel and the shell, which i reckon was about 10mm.

queen bodecia, I am a UK size 8 and was fitted with 25.5 boots as well. "A performance fit" the salesman called them when i took them back after my first agonizing ski trip in them! I'm still not convinced that they aren't a tiny bit small for me, but after having worn them for a few ski trips they are now pretty comfortable and I ski OK in them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wigan, If they are unskied bring em back. Get the smaller size. try 25's and 24's. Shell check bare foot wear thin socks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys. Have rung them and they have 25s in so I'm going to take these back and try others, taking my time.
If I'm not sure I'll just return them come away, and only have lost the petrol money, and then go to a proper boot fitter.

One last quick Q - what difference does the .5 make on the mondo scale? They guy in the shop said that it isn't a real length difference? I think they have 25s in but no 25.5s
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

"A performance fit" the salesman called them when i took them back after my first agonizing ski trip in them!

No way would I tolerate an "agonising" ski trip. I said I wanted to spare my arthritic toes any more grief and once I'd had the boots tweaked, and worn them some hours at home, they were comfortable to ski in. Someone going for pure "performance" would no doubt tolerate a closer fit, but there's a happy medium between boots which are so tight they continue to hurt, and boots so big that they feel lovely "out of the box". That was what I was aiming at, and what I got (from CEM). I think it's important to explain exactly what you want.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wigan, the shells are usually made in full sizes the liners are varied for the half sizes although I have heard that not all manufacturers even vary the liners.
So a 25 and 25.5 boot will have the same shell but may have a different liner
Get the shell right as the liner is soft and will pack out.

mondo measurement is an actual foot measurement in cm so the 25 is 1 cm shorter than the 26. This means you should have a 20 cm shell fit in these. It is towards the comfort end of the scale but will be useable.

A proper bootfitter like CEM, will also make sure the boot you buy is the best match to your foot and can sort out any other issues too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just been looking at my boots. I'm 8-9 in shoe size. I ski a 42 in Fisher pursuit boots same with my new Salomon S-Lab Pursuit boots. My Crispi XPs are a 26-27 shell (not sure what size the liner is) my old Crispi XTs which are falling apart say 26 -27.5, and just to confuse things my scarpas say 8-9. Which probably means they are all about the same size.

I don't want a performance fit, because I may have to walk a fair distance in them and want intact toes. I find them fine to ski in, but I guess I have easy to fit feet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF wrote:
wigan, the shells are usually made in full sizes the liners are varied for the half sizes although I have heard that not all manufacturers even vary the liners.

The liners may just have a different footbed to make up the half size.

I would avoid discounted boots... just too tempting to buy a boot because it is cheap. Skis, maybe. Boots, no.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

"A performance fit" the salesman called them when i took them back after my first agonizing ski trip in them!

No way would I tolerate an "agonising" ski trip. I said I wanted to spare my arthritic toes any more grief and once I'd had the boots tweaked, and worn them some hours at home, they were comfortable to ski in. Someone going for pure "performance" would no doubt tolerate a closer fit, but there's a happy medium between boots which are so tight they continue to hurt, and boots so big that they feel lovely "out of the box". That was what I was aiming at, and what I got (from CEM). I think it's important to explain exactly what you want.

I originally took them back before I'd even worn them to ski, but was reassured they were correct. Once I'd skied in them and realised they were definitely too small, I couldn't return them. The salesman told me to wear them around the house to bed them in. Eventually i had some stretching done and they are now wearable and I can last all day without having to release them to restore blood flow.

With hindsight I should have been more forceful when i returned them the first time. But back then I had only been on a couple of ski trips so bowed (without question) to the knowledge of someone with far more experience (although, again with hindsight, I have no proof of this!).

PS. I noticed you corrected the yankee doodle spelling of agonising - I've only just downloaded a new internet browser and your correction helped me spot that my spell checking was set to American (i.e. wrong). It is now fixed - ta!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A number of ski hire shops in resort offer a 'try before you buy' service which I think is something to consider particularly if you have trouble finding a boot which offers right balance of comfort and support. Gives you time to test in proper conditions, normally get cost of original hire offset and can prevent costly mistakes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy