Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

roof rails on hired estates?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have 5 adults traveling from frankfurt hahn in jan to mayrhofen (7-8 hr drive) in a hired mid size estate ie mondeo peugeot 407 etc. we have 2 pairs of skis in a ski bag + 5 large suitcases. any pictures i see on the hire web sites of any estate cars seem to have roof bars/rails on them. my question is has anybody ever tried to tie a ski bag on to one of these rails? do all estates have roof rails? with 5 in the car and the long journey i dont tink we would manage the ski bag in the car, or would we?
too tight to pay 80 euro for ski rack
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ran into this problem in Feb '08 in Munich, had hired a couple of renault estates and were going to chuck a board bag on the roof and just run the staps under the rails - was expecting to see something like this (but without the cross-bars)

However the modern roof rails on the estates we got were low profile/flush fitting roof rails so you can't get the straps under the rails like the photo below - in the end we had to put the bags in the back which was a pain but we were only doing about 90 minutes drive. If you could get straps that hook onto the new rails then you'd be good to go, but we didn't have any, and there were no hire cars with the old-style rails (probably for this very reason!!)

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

too tight to pay 80 euro for ski rack

2 euros an hour each, for a much more comfortable trip? Yes, you're tight. wink If someone offered you a job, where you got paid 16 euros to sit in a car for eight hours in the winter, with the windows open so a ski bag could stick out, would you take the job?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
creedgearoid, take the skis out the bag and stick them down between the passenger seat and the door should be doable and not much tighter than it would be anyway. We did it with 3 sets and a snowboard in Arno's small hire car no bother (admittedly only from Vaujany to Auris) and 4 sets and a board in Scottish Skier's ZX. Alternatively take a soft rack with you designed for surfboards but I used it to take skis and boards out form the UK no problem, cost you about £20 on ebay.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy an inflatable roof rack. They work very well:

http://www.handirackuk.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
altis

Just looked at the www link . How do you attach skis? Is the rack deep enough so that bindings don't dent the hire car roof? Or does the £600 excess beckon Shocked ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 5 d-rings between the inflatable tubes. It is supplied with two straps that you just thread over the skis and under the buckles. You might have a problem with the bindings on bare skis unless you can keep the skis on their edges somehow. But we had no problems with 3 ski tubes and a ski bag. The most we have carried is 4 pairs of skis inside 3 tubes and one bag plus 2 bare pairs on the top.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, yep we are that tight, do you think we would be using hahn airport otherwise for 30euro return via munich for 200!altis, that looks like a really usefull invention but after delivery it would cost the same as the 80 euro ski rack.Swirly, that makes perfect sense didnt think of that. thanks all
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, sorry forgot to ask what type of straps would fit under the new type racks/rails? tie wraps?thank you for the heads up re the new type racks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
creedgearoid wrote:
bertie bassett, sorry forgot to ask what type of straps would fit under the new type racks/rails? tie wraps?thank you for the heads up re the new type racks

Sorry I don't think I was that clear - the roof rails on the new estates are flush to the roof so NOTHING will get underneath - but they have a groove on either side which the foot for a cross-bar would connect too, and I was kind of idly wondering whether you could use that with a strap and a hook - so the hook goes into that groove and gets tightened. On reflection I think that would be very unsafe, unless you had something that clamped completely firmly to the new roof rails and then strapped off that...

the handirack is probably a better idea...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocked 5 up is gonna be a squeeze with just 5 large bags. I'd pay the extra €80 for ski rack/roofbox and split it between you. Frankfurt to the alps is a long trek and you have to do it twice. If it was only 3-up then I'd say just put down one half of the split fold rear seats.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
Buy an inflatable roof rack. They work very well:

http://www.handirackuk.com/

If you're tempted to use this, make sure you take some carpet or karrimat or something else to go underneath the racks, otherwise you can kiss the paint on the roof - and any damage deposit - goodbye.

In fact, if you can't run straps underneath the rails, these ain't gonna work anyway...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I checked when we returned to Chambery and there was absolutely no visible damage to the paintwork. However, I did remember to take an old cloth and made sure that the roof was very clean each time before we mounted the rack.

Thinking about it more - some may have difficulty with soft ski bags. I have demountable bindings so it's easy to arrange a flat surface on the underside of the bag. If you have a soft bag and fixed bindings then you may need to add some sort of packing to hold the skis on their edge.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy