Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your best solution to "Pet hates on the piste"?

Poster: A snowHead
I can't say I share the amount of frustration and/or anger on the other thread. But that's perhaps because I have a ready outlet for each and every one of the mentioned sins.

So I'll start:

-- Snowboarders sitting in a line across the piste:

Ski right through the middle of them! The closer you come to hitting one of them, the better! Very Happy Spray them with snow if you have twin tips. And don't forget to wack them (just lightly) with your pole, "accidentally" that is! Wink

-- Skiers standing at the lift unload zone as a group just chatting:

Push right through the middle of them while apologizing (in the appropriate language) "sorry, can't stop...", "ooops, excuse me"... Use your elbow and poles liberally to gain support from the crowd! Very Happy

-- Peeps stopping at the gate to wait for their mate:

Utilize the speed you still have to "gently" bounce them into the gate divider! If you can actually "bump" them through the gate, even better!

-- T-bar rider not letting go:

Well, I sympathise their plight. But still, I WILL let go of the bar at the appropriate time that's my turn, whether they're out of the way or not. (there're usually sufficient space in front or behind for me to skate out of the way of the following pair)

Feel free to add your own favorate solutions. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, Mine was lift queues and to avoid them we go off peak when there are none Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just don't read the thread.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get your dog in the trees
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
genocide
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
-- Snowboarders sitting in a line across the piste:

Ski right through the middle of them! The closer you come to hitting one of them, the better! Very Happy Spray them with snow if you have twin tips. And don't forget to wack them (just lightly) with your pole, "accidentally" that is! Wink

Shooting them would be better. That way, they don't come back.....

papasmurf Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't ski after 3pm friday during a busyish week and do a season and go home for the peakest weeks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cause more danger and annoyance for mountain users. I can do what ever the hell i like on the mountain and you can only try to annoy me! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scan punters at ticket office to detect basic brain functionality. Do not issue a ticket to those who have clearly switched brain off because they are on holiday. I appreciate revenues will fall through the floor.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will tell ou what works for me. A few years ago whilst driving to Tignes, we stopped at one of the M/way service stations for the old splash and dash. At the time i was a smoker and was just in the process of lighting up an oily rag, when one of the locals came up to me with an oily in his hand and jabbered at me in some strange language and with use of sign language i got the impresion he was asking for a light for his oily.

I just shrugged my shoulders and replied " Sausage". Said local looked at me aghast and in an allo allo accent replied " Monsieur what is this sossage"

Ever since then when i get abuse from the French in lift queues ( especially boarders ) as they push in i just look at them and go "Sossage "

Makes me chuckle every time
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Stay off it ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Being chilled out and enjoying my ski holiday rather than worrying about trivial matters. Let's face it, the alternative is being at work!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My solution is to avoid peak weeks, and more particularly avoid the kind of resort full of British d*ckheads who think it's funny to be rude to anybody who doesn't understand fast and idiomatic English.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I'm with you on that one Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TBH, most of my pet hates are related to my fear of heights, so working on fear of heights through mountain walks/high ropes courses etc and general familiarity with uplift options and normal behaviour is the best way to deal. Also working on my own technique so I can cope with the sight of a slope littered with obstacles and feel in control enough to avoid them all.
latest report
Randomsabreur, lol! Fear of heights and skiing seems an odd mix!
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Randomsabreur, lol! Fear of heights and skiing seems an odd mix!

It is a mix I have too. But I can gradually get over it. At the start of the week, I really hate lifting the bar on chairlifts, but by the time I have used a few, I am reasonably comfortable with it.

It's the same at home when I have to use a ladder for DIY.
ski holidays
My pet hate is annoying teenagers/young men on snow blades playing tag at high-speed on piste, even if it's very crowded. Shocked Skullie

My solution - stay on black runs which are relatively quiet. snowHead
ski holidays
Stay off piste the potential number of people that can annoy you is massively reduced. Plus it's more fun.
snow report
I avoid virtually every pet hate on the snow by,

Skiing America

They have manners over there

Yes.............even the teenagers!
snow report
susieski wrote:

Skiing America

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Sounds like you might be confusing Canada with America! rolling eyes
latest report
When I skied in the States, I was amazed by how chatty the teenage boys were on the chairlifts - and so polite and helpful! Maybe they took pity on me as I was on my own though. Plus the queueing is so much better organised.
snow report
abc wrote:
susieski wrote:

Skiing America

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Sounds like you might be confusing Canada with America! rolling eyes

Oh no! No confusion there my friend. Just about to do yet another 2 months . It`s a REAL pleasure. And so are the Americans
ski holidays
I've been pleasantly surprised at the polite chattiness of some French kids too - the younger ones. I had one 7 year old asking me whether I knew that big mountain over there was Mont Blanc, and what my favourite French food was - it was hilarious, felt like a conversation on a "Learn Conversational French" CD!

Adults are fine, too, and I've had some good conversations (or at least, as good as my limited French can manage). A very pleasant ride up a slow lift last year with an off duty policeman (local, not gendarmerie). The adolescents are a bit tongue tied, but pleasant enough and I've encountered little or no rudeness. One lovely lad, about 18 I suppose, pointed out a beautiful old wooden chalet, beneath the chairlift, which his grandfather had bequeathed to him, and which he was renovating. A pleasant thought every time I go up that lift now.

If people consistently find that French people are "rude" you do wonder what they're doing to deserve it. One told me last year that I was a lovely lady, just like the Queen Mother. Shocked Mind you, she had been dead a while..... To be fair, he was absolutely plastered and I had stopped to give him a lift on a very cold night so it behoved him to be polite and grateful.
snow conditions
susieski, agreed.

Actually very few problems from anyone in Europe except the English (never is the Welsh or Scots) and the odd Italian.

ABC may be thinking about skiing on the East Coast near all those noo yorkers. wink
latest report
stoatsbrother, Dutch too. I agree with the whole thing about the french though. I've never had a problem with french people but then again i always make an effort with a few opening sentences in french tends to make a difference.
ski holidays

Ski off-piste - if there is anyone else there you chose the wrong route.

Waiting for lifts - just think about the lovely fresh tracks you are going to make very soon. Have a laugh at human stupidity where necessary.
snow conditions
Brits, poles and russians are usual suspects that I could do without..and I'm sure in 10 years time we'll all be complaining about the chineese
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Massive pet hate- Slightly out of control Brit snowboarders trying to keep up with there more capable mates. rolling eyes

Brit snowboarders being 'taught' by their mates. rolling eyes

Brit snowboarders with £2k of the latest Burton offerings giving it 'all that' in the airport followed by being an utter liability on the mountain. rolling eyes

There's a theme here. wink
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
susieski, agreed.

Actually very few problems from anyone in Europe except the English (never is the Welsh or Scots) and the odd Italian.

ABC may be thinking about skiing on the East Coast near all those noo yorkers. wink

Right, American boarders don't sit on the piste. Their boots just magically stay on. Wink

Here's a load of entries from east and west, including the Rockies:
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/5603/biggest-skiing-peeve (4 pages)
http://theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803 (3 pages)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-11-09 19:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
gosh, compared to that lot, SHs are quite nice to snowboarders. Amused to see the references to lift lines - people keep telling us those only exist in Europe.
snow report
All my skiing in Europe were outside of the half term time. So I've yet to be inconvinient by any of the behavior so hated by other snowheads. About the only exception was during the bashes, at more than one occassion the group of snowheads I was with created our own little crowd blocking the way of others. Those trying to get through, whatever their nationality, were not amused by the present of our group. Embarassed

Quote:

Amused to see the references to lift lines - people keep telling us those only exist in Europe.

I too, found that no-lift-line comment rather puzzling. Even more puzzling was the reference to these massive unruly mob in European lift entrance that I've yet to see!

In all likelihood, the German and Dutch could very well not know how to queue. But as far as I can tell, that's because there aren't enough of them around to even form one!
snow conditions
Ski in St Anton - much nicer class of folk and the choco-rums make everything that bit more bearable
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Ski in St Anton - much nicer class of folk and the choco-rums make everything that bit more bearable

the do have singles lines for some lifts which is a bonus compared to the frenchies...
snow report
papasmurf, Genepicide? wink

The mountains big enough and the skiing day long enough for us all. Just use the stuff god put between your ears to avoid pet hate territory / time.
snow report
Definitely the best way to avoid a lot of pet hates is to go out side of peak times of the season. Less people = less annoying occasions!!

Oh and if you do get a particularly annoying lift queue barger and you are a skier just stick a well placed ski pole and arm right in the way so they can't get passed!! Twisted Evil
latest report
bertie bassett, Courchevel does that as well, top wheeze. I never stood in a queue there for more than a couple of minutes even at peak times.
snow report
Annehillskiing wrote:
Definitely the best way to avoid a lot of pet hates is to go out side of peak times of the season. Less people = less annoying occasions!!

Oh and if you do get a particularly annoying lift queue barger and you are a skier just stick a well placed ski pole and arm right in the way so they can't get passed!! Twisted Evil
Or do what I saw a formidable English lady do to a particularly annoying French teenager pushing into a queue - pop their heel bindings with your pole.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

You obviously haven't waited for the bus at Rauz.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
bertie bassett, Courchevel does that as well, top wheeze. I never stood in a queue there for more than a couple of minutes even at peak times.

Yes they are good...
Had a couple of amusing experiences at Courcheval using the 'singles' queue - one and typical, family of five, obviously Brit, probably just let 2 chairs go empty so they can sit together, pick up their poles, remove backpacks when told by liftie etc, etc - then you get on the last seat.. they didn't say a word all the way up.. until my phone goes, they realise I speak English, and all of a sudden they're chatting away amongst themselves. Mind boggles. Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy