Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur, Pila or La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Away for just under 3 days skiing at end of January which is a Sunday afternoon, all day Monday and all day Tuesday.
We can stay at Aosta or Courmayeur.
Have been to Courmayeur before but years ago in a previous life as a snowboarder, but enjoyed it.

Of the three - where would you ski?
Of the two mentioned - where would you stay?

You people, I know, are going to say stay at X and ski at Y and Z, aren't you?
So if you do, how difficult is it to do? How worthwhile.
Logistics? For example, in Courmayeur I like the fact you can leave your gear up at mid station and scurry straight to the apres in normal footwear BUT p in the a if we wanted to go elseweher following day - so itd want to bbe worthwhile!

Thanks

PL
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really enjoyed COurmayeur. We had a day from there up at La Thuile and really enjoyed it. Not done pila. Of the two I've done, I'd choose Courmayeur for a short break and La Thuile for a longer stay
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Thuile is the biggest area, but a fairly mediocre town, some great black runs downto valley level, but a lot of the area is a bit samey (lots of runs all parallel to each other), and getting to and from La Rosiere is a bit of a faff.

Pila is underrated. Spectacular views and some great 'red' skiing. Just enough for 3 days I would say. Nothing very demanding though, apart from one terrifying black run right at the top which is a too-narrow and too-steep road - not fun.

Courmayeur I don't really like much. Great views, but the area feels more limited than it ought to and I found it busy and poorly pisted.

If you can't stay in La Thuile, and you've done Courmayeur before, I would say stay in Aosta and ski Pila. The other two are easily reached by road (as is Cervinia) if you fancy a change of scenery on your second day. Plus Aosta is a 'proper' town to stay in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent a great week in Courmayeur last season. It's a fabulous proper town rather than a ski station and the views/ambience are stunning. The ski area is relatively small and can easily be covered in two days. But I'm the sort of person who doesn't mind doing the same run a few times in a week, especially when the conditions can vary each day. Courmayeur is probably about the smallest size area I'd consider though, they claim 100km of piste, but I think that includes off-piste itineraries and cross country runs, the reality is probably around 60km.

There are buses to both La Thuile and Aosta (to get the bubble lift to Pila) but I didn't take advantage. Like you said, it's so convenient to leave your gear in lockers up at Plan, it didn't seem worth lugging everything back to the hotel just to get the morning bus. So I am going to La Thuile next season (or should I say this forthcoming season!).

Courmayeur was not at all busy when I was there (mid-March) although there were significantly more people at the weekend, but queues were only a couple of mins at most.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As posted above agree wholeheartedly that Pila somewaht underated. Well linked interesting tree lined pistes and easily accessed via the new gondola which goes from a massive car park on the edge of Aosta town centre.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hotel Bus, Aosta

10 minute walk to the Pila Gondola. Good food. Nice staff.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your time is tight if you want to ski a different area each day I would go for staying in Aosta and use the transport links to the resorts you mentioned. Have stayed in Courmayeur in 2000 really nice town for apres, and good food both in town and on the mountain, had a day trip to Pila and had a great day, we had most pistes to ourselves, its one of the places I want to go back to, but probably 2 days is enough if you dont want to repeat runs. Have also had a week in La Rosiere and skiied over toLa Thuile most days, again nice and quiet, but cant comment on after hours in the resort. As you only have 2.5 days I would have a look at Grand Massive area, easy access from all resorts except Sixt, with 265kms of priste and only 1 hour from GVA, will give you lots of variety without having to take buses etc, whatever you do have a great time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What sort of skiing are you looking for? If you are interested in off piste, Cpurmayeur has access to the sensational (in good snow) Toula glacier. Every bit as good as the Vallee Blanche without the crowds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As paulio says. Stay in Aosta and go from there. Pila is on the door step and is underrated. Quote a bit of off piste & tree skiing if you know where to look. Plus it gives you options to ski the other 2 resorts (and a stack load of others - Crevicol is small but nice as and Champoluc and the Monta Rosa is an easy day trip by car.)

If you don't have a car you can certainly do Courmayeur using the local bus, and probably La Thule too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pila is fantastic and the sunniest ski resort in the world. It should be great at that time of year. If youv'e skied Courmayeur before then I'd def say Pila.

Aosta is a big town, so lots of hotel and food options, at non-ski resort prices.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FOr 3 days I would stay in Aosta and ski Pila, Perhaps with a day at Courmayeur. Aosta is a nice town with plenty of options, and I think the train is direct too.

Having said that, La Thuile & Courmayeur are linked by free ski bus that takes about half an hour too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stayed in the Motel Pila in Aosta for a week last season. Prices seem reasonable for a clean, spacious B&B with self-catering facilities in each room. Although the location is a bit "industrial" it is ideally located for skiing in Pila as it is just a minute's walk across the car park to the fast gondola up to the resort, and an easy walk into the centre of town for wide choice of restaurants and bars.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hotel Bus, Aosta

10 minute walk to the Pila Gondola. Good food. Nice staff.

I have to say I hugely disagree with this so am posting this for a balanced view! I lived there for 10 weeks about 6 years ago, and I also stayed there last season for a week - nothing's changed. The food is awful, and the staff rude. Now I admit they may not treat instructors as well as "normal" guests but even so, the food comes from the same kitchen so even if what we got was different I'd have expected the quality to be the same.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, the prospect of spending 10 weeks in the Bus doesn't bare thinking about. I was there for a week about the same time as you and have never wanted to go back.

I got to know some of the guys from this season on a 'long stay' and they didn't give it a glowing report.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've stayed at the Bus on two occasions, and the food was far from awful. I've also stayed at the Europe and the Roma in Aosta, and on both occasions we had to head out for toasties at the Distillary after dinner cos the food was inadequate following a days' exercise. We were so unhappy with the food at the Europe, that we paid for dinner in a restaurant rather than eat in the hotel one evening. Also, the Hotel Turin was pretty forgettable - apart from the cauliflower soup, which was excellent.

Both times we stayed at the Bus they were friendly, helpful and fed us well (the kind of hearty tucker you need after a day on the hill). We charged drinks to our room all week and they charged us about 25 Euros.

It's horses for courses.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone. Very interesting comments.

I was inclined towards Aosta for Pila but in the end we have gone with Courmayeur. Our reasoning is simple really - we are on a short break away from wives/children and want an easy, fun trip. We have been been there before (in fact we met in Courmayeur 9 years ago and have remained friends and annual ski buddies). We love Bar Roma. We love the atmosphere. We know the set up and can make it work easily. If it was JUST about the actual skiing it would have been the former but its not.

Notwithstanding the above, I reckon we'll do a day to La Thuille. I know nowt about or even how to get there. Anyone help?
snow conditions
The us runs from the stp right in front of the tourist office - the ladies in there speak english and will tell you what time. I think it's free if you have a pass for 6 days, not sure if it's shorter duration. Takes about 25-30 minutes, drops you off right at the foot of the slopes
snow report
nbt, and whats the skiing like there compared to Courmayeur? Bigger? Harder? Easier? Crowded? Higher? Lower?
Is it difficult to get back from there?
ski holidays
It's a far bigger area - lots and lots of big wide open motorway skiing. Le Rascard is often mentioned as a place worth lunching in La Thuile, of course when we went we'd gone over to La Rosiere and ate in a french place, stupid idea that was! I enjoyed it as a change from Courmayeur, but the we'd done five days there and spent the last day in la Thuile. Definitely worth doing though
latest report
Le Rascard is ovverated. Unfriendly, food's a bit so-so, and it's usually closed. A bit awkward to get to from the piste as well, requiring a walk across a car park.
snow report
paulio, have heard that it has gone downhill. New management. It used to be fantastic.
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, La Thuile has some interesting black runs back to the village through the trees, Pistas 2 & 3 and the various variations of them are seriously steep in places and being in shade can get very icy, not to be underestimated. Pista 5 is a very pleasant black run on the Belverdere side of the area which also runs back to the village. There are some super reds which are invariably well groomed and can be very long, pistas 18 & 6 and pista 7 which is 11 kms long although in places its a bit of a road. It does go past Lo Reindet which is a super stop for lunch and on a sunny day a real sun-trap. Unfortunately the Rascard has gone downhill but there are lots of good restaurants in the and around village, especially like the Roxy opposite the Fourclaz chairlift. The other advantage of La Thuile is that there can be some really good off-piste. You could even try kite skiing or kite boarding up on the Col de Petit San Bernard, you could even make your way over to La Rosiere. Overall I'd say that La Thuile has more skiing and more interesting skiing than Courmeyer but Courmeyer is a nicer resort.
ski holidays
David L, nice one. Will likely do a day trip. Thanks
snow report
You could do a lot worse than Pila. Stay in the village and get right on the slopes in seconds from your hotel. We stayed right beside the main run through the village so it was a 100m walk from the garage (ski store) to the slope.

Plenty to do for 3days you are planning. We went with Pilaski and she was great for showing us round the slopes on the first day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy