Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Map Symbols

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a noob question. I've got some electronic copies of some Swiss maps but no key, before I commit to a horrible mistake can someone tell me what the following mean on a 1:50000:

Alternate black dashes and dots e.g. _._._.

Black dashes e.g. ------ (the same sized dash as previous)

A faded solid red line

The above line but over a line black dashes.

The same but yellow rather than red.

My guess is some are paths of various types with the red and yellow being either some level of boundary or some sort of path network but this isn't the kind of thing I want to be guessing at!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought the red was a ski route
One of the black dashes is a ridge/peak
Yellow is a rain forest.
red over black dashes is a tropical desert.

I rock Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you show us the maps so that we have a working model!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Numbers should be obvious: 1 on the glacier south of 3220 (line left of number); 2 SW of Mt Fort (dashed line below number); 3 On glacier E of Mt Fort (red line below number); 4 between 2 and 3 (combination of both); 5 on other map is quite hard to see but there's a yellow shading over the dashed line forming a loop from the road, right of number.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, I Can't help you but if it's any consolation my only 1:50000 map does not have a key either.(Paper copy)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, First one is definately ridge line
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just went to look on my new 1:25,000 Freeride map of Andermatt and most of those symbols are not on the very small symbols-key

However I got a key by Googling "swiss map signs symbols" and about 3 results down got :

[PDF] Roads, tracks Railways Individual symbols Trigonometric points ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Conventional signs. The symbols of the topographic maps at the scales .... Swiss topographic maps. Conventional signs and further information ...
www.swisstopo.admin.ch/etc/medialib/kmk/pdfs.../symbolsen.pdf - Similar -

I cannot give you this result as a url since it was a 4 page pdf, and the url above, as you can see, in incomplete. You will just have to do the Google search again yourself.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-11-09 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, having looked at it, (1) is a district boundary, and the simple dotted line is a footpath.

I cannot find the red line (either superimposed, or on the glacier where it continues on its own) but it is clearly some additional information on routes, either for walking or skiing or both - but I cannot find what it is. Clearly the yellow one is also some type of footpath too but again I cannot find it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, Thanks, I'd tried googling but the trick was to use both signs and symbols in the same search. I thought red might have been a ski tour route but there isn't a line to the top of the Rosa Blanche which is part of the haute route. Thinking about it a bit more it could be a walking line as the summer haute route doesn't go up the glacier after crossing the col de louvie. Yellow must be walking too as it's never high enough to be ski related.

Do the freeride maps have ski tours marked?
snow report
 brian
brian
Swirly, the ski tour maps look like this:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, thanks, now I know which ones to buy at least. Are there any good guidebooks for tours in the Vallais?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, you barely need guidebooks with the ski maps (when buying look for an "S" after the number showing which region it covers). On the back are notes setting out details like time up and down, how difficult the tour is etc. They also have details for all the huts on the map. Helps if you can read a little French or German though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, I'll keep an eye out for the maps when I'm next in a climbing shop then.

Winter's coming and it's time to plan silly things to do again snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Swirly, are you out in Valais all season? I'll be out on my own for a week in March if you fancy heading round for some Anniviers slackcountry?

I think this is the most comprehensive local guide, haven't bought it myself yet though.

http://eshop-sac.aare-rz.com/shop/skins/sac/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=267-6
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's the symbol for cheese-based mountain restaurant?
snow conditions
brian, Yeah I'm in Nendaz with gorilla for the season. It'd be good to meet up if you don't mind skiing with a boarder!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Swirly, no worries, I have been known to slum it on a tray myself on occasion. wink I'll give you a shout nearer the time.
latest report
I put it to you that yellow is a mountain bike trail.

Puzzled

I'll check tomorrow if I remember.
latest report
Swirly, I bought the Cicerone western alps book.

Judging from my 1:25 Rosablanche map (which has a key) they are different flavours of path. Basically the thicker and less dashed the line, the more pathy it is. Dunno what the colours mean. I doubt the key on the 1:25 differs that much from the 1:50.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy