Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anty tips for poiana brasov

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Well just booked a very cheap all inclusive deal to Poiana Brasov over christmas.
It would be great to hear any tips for the area, I have heard that skis/boards can get nicked plus pack a hairdryer for the missus.
Is it worth packing skins for some touring?

Cheers
Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mark handford, If you are in one of the three hotels near the nursery slope - the Poiana, the Bradul,...can't remember the other one, they have dryers in the rooms. I stayed there all inclusive a couple of years ago and found the hotels very good. It says on some websites that gear is susceptible to being pinched by the locals, but I didn't hear of or see anything like that.
It's a very limited area, and the parts that have not been opened for pistes are heavily forested. But since touring is not something that I've ever done, I couldn't say with any authority.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should start by saying that I used to ski there often until about 9 years ago but I've only been once since then. The one time I returned I made a point of trying all the offpiste accessible without a map & long walk/climb-in or walk-out. There's not much of it - as youspurs1 says, it's a limited area, but at least few people ski it. There MAY be some touring opportunities but I wasn't into touring when I skied there extensively.

If you like tree skiing, the area between the Ruia/Subteleferic and the Lupului runs, starting after the flat runout from the Kanzel run, can be good - a few days after any snow had fallen I was getting fresh tracks for most of the day. In the lower half of that you will be crossing the Drumul Rosu run every 50-100 yards, as that snakes through the forest.

If you want to try touring and the weather is good, I'd recommend getting down to Brasov, getting a train to Busteni or Sinaia and getting the cable car up. (Check that the Busteni one is working first, it often stops when the wind is high). That takes you to a plateau from which you can do a lot of stuff. Sinaia would probably be my first choice, there are a couple of lifts from 1400 to 2000 and the unpisted runs back to 1400 can be fun (Karp, Papagal, Tarle), plus there are a few short touring opportunities which are obvious and longer ones you can also try.

From Busteni, I think it would be great to ski down on the other side of the mountain to Pestera. There's a cable car there to get you back, but if it doesn't work that's a good two hour climb/skin back.

The train to Busteni / Sinaia will take up to 1 hour from Brasov so you would need an early start from Poiana - but I think it's worth it in order to see a different area and a more majestic mountain. DON'T do this at weekend, it's very busy everywhere (especially Sinaia) as the locals from Brasov and Bucharest invade. In fact, Saturday and Sunday are good for an early start, stopping around 11.30 am and skiing again after 14.30 - or maybe the new gondola they have in Poiana Brasov has eliminated long waiting times.

If the snow is crap everywhere, it may still be good in Predeal, which otherwise I would not recommend as it's a really limited area (but often gets more snow). It's visible from the top cable car at Poiana, on the other side of the mountain, but to get there you need to get to Brasov and take the train (shorter ride though). Again, not to be tried during a weekend but an emergency weekday alternative. (Actually, emergency alternatives are Predeal if low temp and little snow, and Sinaia / Busteni if high temps and more snow, as the latter are higher).

For eating, Coliba Haiducilor is pretty good but has become expensive - a good alternative used to be Sura Dacilor. But I don't know now.

A former university colleague of mine used to be general manager of the company owning the Bradul and Sport hotel, which youspurs1 mentions. I should tell her that most tourist reports are positive, she must have done a good job there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, here are a couple of images.

First the trees I mentioned above:

Messing around (too bad the camera took too long to take the pic, I was coming from the small cliff):

I'm pretty sure that you can see Brasov in the lower left hand corner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there last year in Jan. The all inclusive was great. Stayed at the Sport Hotel. Rooms were large and clean. No hairdryer or kettle. Staff were friendly and it was close to the slopes.
Breakfast was great. I don't eat cooked breakfast but the cold cuts, fruit and various continental stuff were very good.
Dinner was always good. Nothing overly fancy but plenty of choice. I did not have to eat the same thing any two nights. Simple food that did my system a lot of good (I tend to spice overdose at home).
Trip to Vlads castle was worth it and Brasov is also worth a visit.
Ski school was very good and deserves its reputation for excellence.
I would say that it was probably the most relaxing holiday I have ever had. My advice would be to pray for a lot of snow as even though it is a very limited resort, with the right ski conditions you will have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there in 1976 Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy