Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near Oslo

Poster: A snowHead
I found tickets to Oslo for £40 at end of December. Has anyone skiied there around that time? I want a resort close to Oslo. Don't need anything impressive as I'm a beginner, but want to be sure of snow. Most of their websites are only in Norwegian, so hard to get a good idea!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been, but I have seen this place feature in tour operators borchures, incredibly as it looks pretty small!

http://www.tryvann.no/index.jsp?SDP_CHANGE_USERLANG=en

As a beginner I imagine it would be perfect. Easy slopes, close to Oslo etc. Let us know how you get on!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munchimo, Which of the 3 Oslo airports?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We flew to Oslo Torp - 90 mins from Oslo!! - with Ryanair. Transfer bus was no problem.

Stayed 2 nights in the city centre and skied 2 days at Tryvann Winterpark, which is easily reached by train from the city centre in about half an hour. It's very small but well worth going - we had a great time. Take plenty of money for drink! Prices are Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's amazing to ski so near to a city centre. Here's the website:

http://www.tryvann.no/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Tryvann. It was fun for about half a day, but for a beginner it might be better. There is only one run that I would call even remotely steep. It's basically in Oslo, and you can take public trans there. It also means that you can have a city holiday with a bit of skiing, which might appeal.

The cross country skiing in Oslo is exceptional, though, if you want to give that a try. The ski museum is also recommendable and includes the chance to climb to the top of the ski jump. Very impressive.

Remember, while the flights might be cheap (and you will also get cheap accommidation at that time of year; summer is the high season for Oslo), everything else is painfully expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I could fly to Torp or Rygge. Would there be enough snow at the end of dec do you think?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes - plenty.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No promises, but I imagine there should be enough snow. The whole resort is covered by snow making.

Staying in Oslo is actually not a bad hedge, either. If the snow is poor, you still have yourself a pretty nice city holiday. But you shouldn't kid yourself. Going to Oslo and skiing at Tryvann is not a ski holiday in any traditional sense; it's a city with a small ski hill.

I actually noticed a fair number of beginner groups from England when I was there, so I guess it's not all that uncommon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munchimo, I've been skiing in Norway 5 or times now - and am a big fan of Scandi' skiing.

If were me, I'd get yourself on the train from Oslo, and go to Geilo - which would be ideal for a beginner skiier/boarder. I've never done it by train myself, but I believe that it's a direct link, so no changing. You could drive, but it's about a 3hr/4hr + journey - so a train might be more comfortable.

Geilo is only small (most Scandinavian resorts are) and features mostly easy-ish Blues and Reds - however there's more than enough to keep a beginner or early-intermediate happy for a week.

If you're looking for tuition, I wouild highly recomment the ski school on the Geilolia side of the valley. The instructors come from Norway and Sweden and all speak excellent/perfect English.

Plently of accomodation options (apartments / hotels / wooden cabins in the forest) to choose from.

If you wasnt something a little more 'alpine' like - you've also got the resort of Hemsedal about an hour or so down the road.

If these sound like they fit the bill and you've got any questions, feel free to drop me a PM. More than happy to rabbit on about Norway and try and answer any specific queries!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lillihammer is a 2 Hr train transfer direct from Oslo Gardemoen airport. Really easy and scenic journey. Hajfel is the nearest ski slopes to Lillehammer, about 25 mins on a free bus....its a proper ski hill so a bit more varied and would keep your average intermediate happy for a couple of days. Lillehammer is a nice place to stay but eating and drinking is very very pricey.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If going to lillehamer, a cheap hotel is the "comfort hotel". Ask for a balcony room. it looks onto the post office depot but is at the back of the hotel. They do free afternoon waffles so should save you cash on an afternoon snack. I hope there is snow. I checked out flights today from Edinburgh and they ar echeap. Smile

There is a bus to hemsedal... takes ages though.

cheers
bob on the train.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we went to oslo just before christmas last year for a few days - lovely city break (although vvvvvvvvv expensive) and had a good few hours skiing at Tryvann but as others have said wasnt enough slopes there for more than 1 day. They have snow machines there so snow always certain (although they only had limited slopes open with snow making machines on). Tryvann easy to reach on train.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I note that the other Scandi-fans have been on so I can add my voice. The Ryanair flight is the smallest part of the cost for a trip to Norway. Make sure you price everything up that you want otherwise you can be caught out. It is possible to get a good deal using offers and eating hotdogs. They are found everywhere.

There is definitely snow at Hemsedal. I keep checking the webcam as we are off there on Dec 12th. The transfer is about four hours (Torp to Hemsedal) and don't forget that car rental is amazingly expensive compared to everywhere else so the transfer bus might be a better deal if you can't fill a car.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But you shouldn't kid yourself. Going to Oslo and skiing at Tryvann is not a ski holiday in any traditional sense; it's a city with a small ski hill.

After skiing 16 countries and about 120 resorts I felt like I'd had a proper ski holiday after a couple of days at Tryvann. It all depends on expectation and an open minded approach. For UK-based skiers I would imagine that - compared to a snowdome - it's certainly going to feel like a ski holiday. Tryvann is proper skiing on proper snow on a nice, tree covered hillside. With runs of a mile or two it's bigger than The Lecht in Scotland - which bills itself as a "ski resort."

For a beginner like munchimo it would be perfect.

Quote:

and had a good few hours skiing at Tryvann but as others have said wasnt enough slopes there for more than 1 day.
See above. I disagree. What's wrong with skiing a decent run a few times? There does seem to be a lot of skiers who need 600km of runs for 2 days skiing Puzzled .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, my point is that going to Oslo and skiing Tryvann is unlike a tradition ski holiday in that you are staying in a large city at sea level that is not primarily focused on skiing rather than a smaller village up in the mountains that at least in winter is geared toward the ski industry.

I also made a point of noting that this may or may not appeal, depending on what one is looking for in their holiday.
snow conditions
LIllehammer is very far from Torp/ Rygge, so I don't know if it'll be worth going there as I'm only there for a couple of days. I saw that Kongsberg might be closer - is it worth trying to go there, or just sticking with Tryvann? Does anyone know if I can get to a ski area within a couple of hours from Rygge/ Torp by public transport?

Thanks
ski holidays
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but what was the outcome for this? I've just booked to Torp for new year (flights with Ryanair from Liverpool only £300 for 4!).

We're all beginners, so I think Oslo might be the best bet? Tryvann only a short train journey from Oslo? Does anyone know the cost/times etc.

Other than that, where would be the nearest resort to Torp? I would hire a car if not going to Oslo.

Thanks all.
snow report
Hi, I live in Oslo so I thought I should chime in Happy. As mentioned above, Tryvann is around 20 mins on the t-bane from the centre of Oslo. Compared to the alps, Tryvann is small, but it does have a good selection of runs to keep you busy. I actually agree with mountainaddict - it is fun to ski there, and perfect for beginners. Once you get more comfortable, there is a black run there.

As for the prices of drinking, yes, drinking out is not cheap, that's why Norwegians (and visitors) always stock fully up at the tax free. If you want to see some mad shopping, just walk into the tax free at Gardemoen or Torp on arrival. Torp is a good distance away from Oslo though (typical Ryan Air)..

I would also suggest that you go to Hafjell. It is much bigger than Tryvann, and is around 2 hours on the train from the centre of Oslo.
ski holidays
Thank you for the reply Lilledonmarco. I think Tryvann will be fine for us. Do you know if there is much to do there other than ski? i.e. is it worth getting accommodation up there or would you say stay in Oslo itself and get the train each day (there for a week)?

If you say Oslo is better, would you know where the train station is and are there hotels/apartments closeby? Do you know the cost of the train as there are 4 of us in the family.

Thanks again
ski holidays
audi321 IIRC, there's nothing much at the ski hill other than the skiing Puzzled. (Oddly, you arrive at the top of the ski area, with the slopes all below.) So I'd say that Oslo digs would be your best bet - it's quite surreal to set off all kitted out and carrying your skis on the city's underground.... Very Happy Can't remember the cost of the train - but do recall beer at about £7/0.5 litre and pizzas for about £17 - and that was 5 or 6 years ago.... Shocked
latest report
From torp you may concider old olympic downhill site Norefjell. 2h drive from torp, much as torp to oslo. Much more of a ski resort than tryvann at 1188m top height, but no city like Oslo in sight...
snow report
I've decided that Oslo & Tryvann are for me I think. I will have children with me, so does anyone know how far are the lifts from the train station at Tryvann?

I'm on a website https://ruter.no/en/ but I can't seem to work out the stops etc. I can't even work out if it's train/tram or Metro lol. I'm not the best on the sort of websites!
ski holidays
Original poster here! We went a few yrs ago and had a great time. There were record low temps of -26 so no problem with snow. The area is really beautiful. I remember it taking at least 30 mins from our hotel with a change or two. I seem to reMember a bus takes u the last bit. The beginners area is apart from the main car park and rental shop. You can ski down to it but a bit of a walk back with skis. Rental and lessons were v expensive although the lift passes weren't so bad. I don't think the transport was that expensive (I liven london!) but oslo isn't a cheap destination for anything. We took packed lunches but it was so cold everything froze!
There are lockers underneath the rental shop in case u don't want to take skis boots and kids on public transport!
snow report
audi321,

It's a nice little set up at Tryvann. When you get off the train a minibus takes you the few minutes to the slopes. It's odd, but nice, to arrive at a rural station - seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

We were there on a weekend and had no problems with the arrangements. There and back in the minibus worked fine over both days.

And it's a lovely, scenic train ride from Oslo.
snow conditions
Ok guys, I've decided upon a place called Mesnali near Lillihammer after all that. Found a lovely little cabin which was a great price with cooking facilities to keep the costs down. Thanks for all your help Smile
ski holidays
Sounds nice, maybe you should consider taking up Cross Country as well - this is in the heart of it, look for Nordseter/Sjusjøen signs. 4h drive from Torp on a weekday, considerably more on a Friday afternoon in winter. Mesnalia is a daily 30-40 mins drive to the valley starting point of the Hafjell lifts through Lillehammer and quite rural even by local standards, but very nice surroundings. If you are the adventurous type you may drive your car even longer and 45 min more takes you to Kvitfjell and Skeikampen resorts on the (same) weekly ski pass. But Hafjell is big enough for many days skiing and very suitable for beginners - as well as intermediates. Much much bigger than Tryvann but without the big town amenities. Good luck !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy