Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara or Pedraces? 1 week skiing experience - nervous beginner!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

We spent a week in Arabba last year and loved the place, the scenary, the people and the quality of the snow. However we found we weren't quite up to the task! I skied some time ago (erm 15 years) and the other half had never skied till that year and had done a 1 day crash course in a dome before we went.

Arabba is ALL red! She was coping with the nursery slope but even going up the chair to do the run down past Plan Boe was a struggle for her. We both had boot issues which hopefully we'll avoid with new boots of our own this year. I coped reasonably well with those sorts of routes, but my instructor took me down the Reds (both sides) from Bec de Roces and I wouldn't choose to do them alone! I also went down from Bec de Roces to Campilongo and never noticed it being hard (too busy watching instructor's ass!) - took the other half on the last day as I thought the route down from Cherz would be good for the other half... We ended up walking back up to Bec de Roces because we both found it too hard!

We did go up Porta Viscovo lift and did the nice easy runs to Pescoe (half way up the Gondola to Porta Viscovo) from Marmolada - thats our kind of gentle skiing!! The other half says that I make us sound like we only like flat skiing! (Nothing wrong with admitting I'm lazy!)

So - it was suggested we look towards Corvara this year. We can't get in the week we want, so we were thinking of Pedraces (with Colletts). I've read a post here that suggested Pedraces was just a satellite of Corvara. Finding a ski-map of Pedraces isn't easy but looking at this one:

http://www.skiresorts-test.com/bilder/skigebiete/513/alta-badia_trail_map_l1.jpg

It doesn't look that great! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THAT IT'LL BE OK!

Firstly - It looks like there is no direct link between Pedraces and La Villa - that seems rather odd as people say the Sella Ronda is accessible from Pedraces? Does that mean going up Utia Sponata? In which case there are reds before the blue which means getting to La Villa is only achievable via a Red.

Secondly - it looks to me like there is a lot of Red round Pedraces. When I was in Arabba my instructor told me blue in Arabba was Red anywhere else - is that just in Arabba - so are the Red in Pedraces like the blues we struggled with in Arabba or Harder?

Thirdly - anyone know whats with the horse and carts on the map? And I take it the greens are walking routes (they have pictures of people walking) not some nice easy route?

Fourth - Am I right in thinking that the places we want to play would be the blues to the left of La Villa on the map - so if I can get to La Villa then Pedraces is as good a place to be based as Corvara would be?

Sorry I know that was a bit of a rant - just don't want to spend a fortune and then find we can't ski on anything but the nursery slope!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polc1410, Go to Covara with Colletts, good access to lots of blue runs
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colletts can't do the dates I want in Corvara as that was our original plan.

I've now discovered that Pedraces is marked as Badia on the majority of the maps! That helps a bit!

I reckon if getting to La Villa is achievable then the gondola/cable car from there will get me up to the flats - so I guess the question is actually - How easy is it to get to La Villa from Pedraces/Badia. Its skiable - but is it skiable by a beginner (she can actually ski - so consider her a competent plougher).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn

Not sure the dates you want to go...but this is perfectly located for what you want in Alta Badia so if you want to check availability email Jude at mail@mountainsunltd.com

Wherever you end up, hope you enjoy!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polc1410, will answer in the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
polc1410,

1. The link from Pedraces (Badia) is via Sponata, so yes reds, but I don't remember them being super steep.

2. Reds should be steeper or narrower than blues wherever they are, maybe Arabba downgraded a marginal red to a blue to make the piste map not look intimidating.

3. The horse-tow takes you along the frozen riverbed from the end of the Hidden Valley (Lagazuoi/Armentarola) run back to the lift system near the Hotel Armentarola, it's an unique experience:

http://www.iski.it/index.php?pag=/it/Inverno/Grandeguerra/Cavalli.html

There may also horse and sleigh rides along the valley bottoms.

4. There is a network of gentle blues that would be ideal for new skiers in the upland area bounded by La Villa, Corvara and San Cassiano.

I wouldn't recommend Pedraces (not many blue pistes for you, it's out on a limb, it's a bit low and the sun gets to the pistes) if you could get somewhere near the lifts in the 3 resorts above. Mountainsun's chalet in San Cassiano is brilliantly located near the Piz Sorega gondola that serves a nice long, sweeping blue down through the trees (no 9/11 on the map), I've never stayed so I can't personally recommend it, but the location is definitely good.

You could do a DIY trip, find a flight to Bergamo, Verona, Innsbruck, Treviso or Venice airports, book a nice hotel in Corvara and use the transfer service, might work out cheaper:

http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/dolomites_airport_transfer.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Firstly - It looks like there is no direct link between Pedraces and La Villa - that seems rather odd as people say the Sella Ronda is accessible from Pedraces? Does that mean going up Utia Sponata? In which case there are reds before the blue which means getting to La Villa is only achievable via a Red.

Pedraces has one rune, but in good snow (that we had) it is a fantastic run. The top bit, accessed by a 2 man chair is fantastic for novices, sweeping majestically between the trees. A great run for novices. The bottom red has some steeper sections but also some nice flatter bits. We had great weather and the sun on the slope was not an issue as it was quite nippy. We spent a lot of time on the Santa Croce Slopes at Pedraces and had great fun.

The link between Pedraces and La Villa is a horizontal, detachable, high speed, covered 4 man chair that takes 4-5 minutes. Quite a pleasent ride with a hip flask or 2 and then decant into a bar on arrival Very Happy

The ski to la Villa will be no problem via Utia Sponata as there is a very short red section and a nice blue that loops round. There is another short horizontal lift over the road and then an 80m walk to the gondola to get to the to of the Piz la Ila and into to easy skiing paradise that is Alta Badia. The real problem will be on the return to La Villa where the runs are either hard red 17 or hard black 17. There are 2 options: a horrid flat blue with lots of polling (blue 24) or get the gondola down. Once back in La Villa one has to summit the Utia Sponata again where there is a proper red 27 to be skied down to the Horizontal lift back to Pedraces. I thought all of these runs were terrific and when one has 4 minutes to get from Utia Sponata to the Horizontal lift before closing, it can do starnge things to ones thighs. A great buzz fuelled by sloe gin on the lift Very Happy

Quote:

Secondly - it looks to me like there is a lot of Red round Pedraces. When I was in Arabba my instructor told me blue in Arabba was Red anywhere else - is that just in Arabba - so are the Red in Pedraces like the blues we struggled with in Arabba or Harder?

The reds of La Villa are as tough as most stuff in Arabba, but not bad, the only one that leaves no option but to ski is the last run of the day, red 27

Quote:

Thirdly - anyone know whats with the horse and carts on the map? And I take it the greens are walking routes (they have pictures of people walking) not some nice easy route?

The horse and cart symbols indicate a sleigh ride route, but we saw none. Some were walking the very pretty route, but it is not skiable and too far in ski boots. A taxi from La Villa to Pedraces wouldn't break the bank.

Quote:

Fourth - Am I right in thinking that the places we want to play would be the blues to the left of La Villa on the map - so if I can get to La Villa then Pedraces is as good a place to be based as Corvara would be?
Yes, but the ski back to la Villa is not as "blue" as Corvara.

We had a great holiday in Pedraces, Colletts were very good and we would probably go back. La Villa was a bit of a fanny about to cross for our group. Lots of kids that ski well and wanting to push on and they all thought that horizontal lifts were "stupid" and that lifts should go upwards only!!. There was a good ski school in Pedraces and some lessons would help you on reds. The ski shop that collets use was superb and the mountain restos in Pedraces very good.
Hope this helps you make your mind up.

The 1st picture is at mid station in Pedraces, lifts closed and us having a last ski down. Is there a more beautiful setting in skiing when the sun is shining on the Santa Croce?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

We had a great holiday in Pedraces, Colletts were very good and we would probably go back. La Villa was a bit of a fanny about to cross for our group. Lots of kids that ski well and wanting to push on and they all thought that horizontal lifts were "stupid" and that lifts should go upwards only!!.

That isn't the only horizontal chairlift in that area. There is one you have to take (in both directions) on the Sella Ronda circuit, between Selva and Corvara.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, There is another one on the top at Alta Badia. I didn't mind them... a lot easier than walking!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, I was going to try and point you at this, thought you'd know all the answers snowHead

alex_heney, I camped under that chair for 2 weeks in 2005, it was cool going back and seeing it in winter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly, the campsite looked chuffin cold as we rode over it at -15C snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, bloody boiling in June

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polc1410, I would go to Corvara, gentle skiing and fantastic scenery but the only problem is there can be queues at the bottleneck links there!

You will love it! As Frosty the Snowman, the run is a great cruisy run!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polc1410, this is blue no.9 from Pralongia' to San Cassiano, the mountain hut is Utia Saraghes with the Conturines and La Varella behind, it's a nice gentle cruise and it does get a bit steeper than this in parts.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been two times to Corvara and it is GREAT for novice skiers. I'm a pretty good skier, but my nieces were nervous beginners. The whole mountain between Corvara and San Cassiano is full of easy blue sun kissed slopes and nice mountain restaurants. We could ski all over the place with the kids and they loved it. We never made it to Pedraces, but it seems a bit far away from the main area with all the easy runs. So my advice, go to Corvara...
latest report
Thanks guys for the info, especially Frosty as that was exactly what I needed to know - easy red, hard red, etc.

It was the sleigh rides I was curious about but sounds like they aren't too frequent if they exist at all.

I wouldn't have any objection with taking the Gondola down to La Villa, so the hard red and the black aren't a major headache. Lots of polling on 24 doesn't sound too thrilling, but would give an alternative option (handy if the Gondola needs to be switched off!) Think the thing that always puts me off is when blue and red merge they seem to go to red... means I might manage it so might need to go survery every run before taking the Other Half down .

Anyway - it now seems that we are looking at a different week (should maybe not have booked the flights so quickly!!) - so we may be able to get in with Colletts in Corvara.

I spoke to Colletts today, they think Pedraces isn't as bad a it sounds because they run a shuttle bus to both the local lift and direct to the La Villa lift. They alos collect from the La Villa lift in the afternoon.

Horizontal lifts (or anything else that saves me doing any work) suits me fine!

Anyway... looks like we will be off to Corvara.

Thanks for the mountain sun link too... they looked good (and cheaper than Colletts!) - but they weren't able to help with a transfer from Innsbruck which was a bit of a shame as thats where we are flying to. Colletts can transfer from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
polc1410, here's a bit more about the horses and sleighs in La Villa:

http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/horses-traditions.html

and this sadly only in Italian or German:

http://www.altabadia.org/it-IT/equitazioneit.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy