Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to look for in Snow Chains?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm looking for some snow chains for my Land Rover and I was wondering what are the important things to look for when buying them? I am planning on buying four chains because of where my accommodation is likely to be, for tyre size 265/75/16, but don't want to spend a fortune as I want to sell the car after this season.

These are the chains I have looked at so far:

1. Jope €60 a pair - http://www.pro-chaines-neige.com/chaines-neige-4x4-suv/chaines-neige-4x4-camping-car-jope-470-tailles-15-16-17-17-5-18-20.html

2. Maggi €99.95 a pair - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rud-schneeketten.pl?cart_id=48249437.125.12702&language=FR&ranzahl=&dsco=125&Cookie=&s_p=chaines_neige&Schneeketten=1&Schneekettenart=PKW&alstabelle=0&sort_by=&Hersteller=Landrover&Typcod=959&Dimecod=415&Eben=3&Suchen=1&Kettenhersteller=&detail=52#52

3. Carpoint €75 a pair - http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/CHAINES-NEIGE-SNEEUWKETTINGEN-265-70-16-NEW-220_W0QQitemZ150380640396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_123?hash=item230362788c

Can anyone please point me in the direction of which ones are the best? Also I am open to any other suggestions that you may have.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LaserStock, I suspect that they will all be much of a nothingness!!

If you're looking at the cost effective route then don't buy 2 pairs because there is absolutely no need, waste of money....... what sort of Landie is it BTW?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a defender 90, was looking at two pairs because all the 4x4's I saw around resort last season seemed to have them. I also thought that chains on all the wheels would improve traction and braking. Some of the roads round where I will be will not be ploughed properly all season. So, with just one pair, would you put them on the front or the back?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the front. I have one meaty set on our landy and that works fine. You can put up with a slither at the rear (careful coming down on the corners), but you need the chains on the front to steer. Other choice is to have snow tires, on a landy even off the plowed roads a chunky set of tyres gets through (I have one set of summer rims and one for winter for my minibus), all the resort pisteurs cars (4x4 toyotas) run on just good snow tyres and seem to bundle through up to their axels.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaserStock, you will never use them. I drove a 4x4 in all weathers here for about eight seasons, never even thought of needing chains. Wasn't nearly as good a car as the Landrover either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LaserStock, I've got a 110..... are you sure you saw them on all 4 wheels... usually the only Defenders that do that are the breakdown/tow trucks.... I've got chains (obviously) but have never used them on the defender... If I were to they would be on the front wheels only as those are the ones that turn and brake....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in garbure we trust, Lizzard, thanks. I was looking at getting snow tyres but decided against them as it is a lot to spend for one season as I am looking to sell the Landy. I have done two previous seasons on BF Goodrich All Terrains, but after a minor bump last season was looking for a little bit more grip. I am not looking at getting them because of problems in deep snow or lack of traction when climbing mountain roads, more for the lack of grip when descending on hard packed/icy roads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, thanks. Yes, they were definitely on all four wheels, a lot of the roads where I was based last season were very narrow, windy and with a layer of hard packed snow/ice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaserStock, All of them look OK for occasional use. For serious use I'd go for Rudmatic military ones, bit of a pain to fit, but they're indestructible, but as you're selling the Landy, no point in spending the money.
BFG A/T's are pretty good in the snow for an all season tyre and very hard wearing.
I'd seriously consider winter tyres first though.

For sure fit 4 chains, but if you do fit only to one axle, make sure you engage diff lock when the chains are on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wot Spyderman, said.
Also, if you go for chains you get what you pay for. Unless you want them for 'window dressing' to placate the police, i'd get a rugged set that's an easy fit type.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sometimes chains are a must even with a Land Rover

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice.

Still not 100% sure what I'll do, will have to see if the budget will stretch to tyres.

Spyderman, nice looking machine, is it yours?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaserStock wrote:

Spyderman, nice looking machine, is it yours?

No, it's one of my friend's photos that he took on the Croissere Blanche.

I've got a 1981 Series III for greenlaning and play days, a few pictures below, plus a 1953 Series I for sunny days.

Any excuse to post piccies of Landys Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Have I missed pics of the Series 1 ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Spyderman, Have I missed pics of the Series 1 ?

I haven't taken any yet, it's still sitting under a tarp on my drive, haven't even looked at it since I picked it up.
latest report
Spyderman, Is that a Sat Nav on the Windscreen????

you might want to update the maps Toofy Grin
snow report
Well I have just bought some Weissenfels clack and go for our Legacy Outback for when the Nokians can't cut it.I may not need them but it's peace of mind and when my wife's taking the kids to school because the bus hasn't turned upI know that there isn't much more I can do to ensure their safe arrival.Already I've had to find alternative routes because I can't get over some cols
snow conditions
RPF wrote:

I think it;s a depth reader Laughing
snow conditions
RPF wrote:

Set to off-road mode. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
RPF wrote:

I think it;s a depth reader Laughing

I can tell how deep it is by the water level on the inside. Laughing
latest report
lol... I had a day at Land Rover Solihull a couple of weeks back and they told me much the same thing (obviously not about you)...... played in a 110, 90, Discovery, Range Rover and a Sport..... Mrs M then started asking all about the SPort
ski holidays
marcellus, The Sport is for Footballers. It's only a re-bodied Disco, with less capability. Only good thing going for it are the engines that aren't available in Discovery, TDV8 is fantastic. Has to be Range Rover over Sport any day.

Thing about the Land Rover Experience days is they really don't stress the vehicles at all, so as they don't scare the punters with what they can really do.
snow report
Spyderman, blimey, the rear nearside wheel in the last picture is at a jolly peculiar angle! Shocked
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman, blimey, the rear nearside wheel in the last picture is at a jolly peculiar angle! Shocked

It's a Land Rover thing, it's called articulation.
latest report
Spyderman, looks more like angulation to me. wink
snow report
Spyderman, mrs m still squealed......... the swing bridge, the stairs (up and down), slopes, the side slips...........
snow report
marcellus, It always feels a lot worse on the inside. Side slopes are probably the worse, 45 deg is about the limit, but your bottle will go long before that. Laughing I've had mine so far over that the hi-lift on the back was touching the banking, only thing stopping me falling over. It's great fun, but you've really got to know where the limits are or it gets expensive.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman, looks more like angulation to me. wink

The key is to keep the wheels on the ground, wheels in the air equals zero traction. Front N/S is of the ground and spinning, so I've lost traction on that axle. rear axle has articulated enough to keep the wheels on the ground, so I have drive. It came down with an almighty wallop when the front wheel finally came down. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, I believe you - was just attempting an incredibly weak joke.
ski holidays
Hurtle, The technical term is "The angle of the dangle" Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy