Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Official Worst Ski Resort Website for 2009/10 Award.

Poster: A snowHead
Well the French are once again going to offer stiff competition in this category.

I'm voting for http://www.valthorens.com/

What I want to know is when they will really open (not the 21st November date) and what price the pass would be that day. What I get is some flashturbational extravaganza and an invitation to join them on faceberk. Look if I wanted to join them on facebook I woulnd't have visited the damn website. AFAIKS I need to register on facebook to see what whitterings they have posted there.

But obviously a keen skier who lives just down the mountain from the resort isn't in their target demographic.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyway it is all academic, there is too much snow on the road for me to get up there at the mo.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, There are supposed to be races there on the 19th and 20th as well as all the next week so I would guess that they plan to open something. Maybe nobody will turn up if they can't look up details on anywhere to stay.

The new Megeve website provides some competition for the Val Thorens one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a fantastic website...

a real triumph of syle over content.

I especially like the "more info" links that dont work.......

Still the webcam views are nice, looks like some strange white stuff has fallen from the sky???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Nice Toofy Grin

Disappointed to see that the BMSA website has not been updated with 2009/10 info wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.paradiski.com/ is pretty annnoying too..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, many of the big french stations have similarly pap flashfests. Total shoite.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter-holidays/introduction/the-grande-plagne.html
Note todays date is November 2009
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.larosiere.net/?&lan_code=UK seems to tick all the right boxes as far as accessible info goes. Shame about the ski area wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked Beeeeatch Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would like to formally enter :-
Isola 2000 ... least informative site on the web ... and most of you will freeze your computer with web images that do not work !

A great game is to 'Find the Opening day'. This year I can find 3 different dates on the site .. any improvement on that ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, WTF - that makes me feel sea sick Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was going to be rude about the tignes site - then I noticed that "Tignes says "STOP" to printed brochures" - which has to be a good idea compared to coming home from the ski show with a load of brochures that you don't read after 1 day..

Yes I know lots of resorts use pdf/websites currently and Les Arcs/La Plagne had a cd-rom at last years show but it's great to see a French resort that isn't killing trees in it's marketing efforts.
3v OTOH sent me a 58 page guide (with a mag) in both French and English..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, and WTF would I want to download the "Valtho Box"?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Well the French are once again going to offer stiff competition in this category.

I'm voting for http://www.valthorens.com/

What I want to know is when they will really open (not the 21st November date) and what price the pass would be that day.

But obviously a keen skier who lives just down the mountain from the resort isn't in their target demographic.

I guess you didn't apply for this job then - CHARGE(E) DE COMMUNICATION (SETAM)

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/valtho-jobs.74.html

If only my French had been upto it, and I'd spotted it a few months earlier, definitely would have been interested...
ski holidays
I will be rude about the Tignes site. No proper snow report, no lift status... unless it is cunningly hidden. Still, nice webcams at least.

Meanwhile Val d'Isere is proudly reporting zero open lifts in Espace Killy. Don't think so...
latest report
My pet peeve is the 'interactive' piste maps that now seem to be all the rage - what's wrong with a good old fashioned JPG in high-res that you can then download and view off-line.

Amusing with less than 1 month to go the Paradiski interactive map is still showing the col des frettes lift and the 2xblacks on the glacier in LP which have been removed...
ski holidays
I think it's safe to say pretty much all of the major french resorts it's nigh on impossible to find - a simple piste/resort map as opposed to a flash map of the town showing all of the major retailers or even an awkward to use flash map of the ski area though even these are hard to find at times, prices of lift passes, accurate conditions weather & avalanche data
snow report
Quote:

Amusing with less than 1 month to go the Paradiski interactive map is still showing the col des frettes lift and the 2xblacks on the glacier in LP which have been removed...

Is it possible all their staff is still on leave (sinece May)?Wink
snow conditions
davidof, click on the live link and everything you want to know will magically appear in front of you! Alternatively write "opening" in the search box.

I'm not a fan of the flash either but have always thought VT had one of the better websites.
latest report
bobinch wrote:
davidof, click on the live link and everything you want to know will magically appear in front of you! Alternatively write "opening" in the search box.

I'm not a fan of the flash either but have always thought VT had one of the better websites.

I phoned the TO instead, so much easier and a different answer to teh Live Link on the website too. BTW the Live link gave me more flash which never completed or executed. Doh.
ski holidays
Livecam looks pretty good at the moment. We're there for the 1st weekend in Dec. Do it every year. Last year we were skiing laps of plan de l'eau in 50cm of powder. The lift was shut so noone followed us. Got back via Boulevard Cumin and Les Menuires. 3 of us did the circuit 5 times. There were only 15 tracks on the run that day. One of the best days of the season.....
snow report
http://www.comune.claviere.to.it/e_info.htm is got to be up there. Remember trying to find out abot Claviere when we went there a few years back and the wesbite was crappy
snow conditions
Any site that plays music should be consigned to internet purgatory, and any that doesn't clearly offer a "music off" switch should go straight to hell with no chance of reprieve. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
In this area, as in so many others to do with marketing, Chamonix has excelled itself
http://www.chamonix.com/

Where do you start???

Massive 360 view loading on home, giant header filling entire screen on every page, laughably bad English translation ( it's not as if they would have to look hard for a proofreader), really weird blurred sepia navigation down the left side, about 10 other forms of navigation and - my personal favourite - accessibility information provided in the non-accessible pdf format.

Mentalist. It was actually pretty sane last year.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 11-11-09 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Also this year's brochures are in a similar style and are totally minging.
latest report
Interactive piste maps are bad. Worse is when the only open in to a window about one sixth the size of your screen and have now expand function. What is so difficult about offering a jpeg to view and a pdf to download?

The numerous German langauge sites that must sell their resort as a "Snow Eldorado" that is only suited to "Ski Freaks" are a bit trying, too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy