Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun Peaks Resort's first ever Snow Bum - Laura to win...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys.
Have you been hearing rumours about a mad competition in Canada to be a paid Snow Bum? snowHead Well, it's true - Sun Peaks Resort in BC are looking for someone to bum the snow for a whole 3 months and tell everyone all about it via multi-media blogs and I hope to be the one to do it!

Most of you will have plans for this season already and I'm not joining you because of my total lack of cash after uni and lack of visas this year but this could be my gateway to the snow and a career with it! I was the film editor of my uni's paper; did an extra module in media and marketing and have even authored ski and board articles despite my editor's disapproving looks: I've got media experience and want to apply it and learn more at Sun Peaks, whilst having an absolute blast and informing everyone about it via exciting blogs - and then hopefully gain a journo job afterwards.

I'm at my parents in France at the minute - stranded and jobless, so fingers crossed ay? So if you reckon the video's cheesiness deserves a nod of praise, please visit my entry at http://www.snowbumcanada.com/entry/laura
and please leave me some feedback (if you like the video that is, ha) - that'd be O for awesome because the more views and comments I get - the better my chances. Hope you like the video (which is amateur I know but there's no music due to all that copyright stuff) and any support would be very, very, very, much appreciated! Wish me luck! Blush

Laura x

http://tinyurl.com/yh4ver6
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'm glad someone's entering and I have now looked at it. One suggestion - you're a media student but can't find any licence free music to use?

Think this contest is better and you've still got time to do a proper edit with toonz n stuff

http://www.powderhighway.com/SkiBum/sponsors.php

Good luck

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-11-09 23:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi fatbob.

What I meant by 'there's no music' wasn't that I couldn't find any - only that I didn't include any in the video because any mainstream tracks are copyrighted and un-copyrighted tracks would've been hard to find within a short space of time, considering I wanted to enter the competition as quickly as possible.

Fair enough if you don't want to view my entry but maybe if you checked it out, you'd be able to judge if music is needed or not.

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was about to take the wee wee since "bumming the snow" sounds all kinds of wrong, but that was actually better than I expected..... but if you're in France already then there's always the regular alternative of, y'know, being a proper bum and working for 10e a week for some kind of mountain based job?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
God I hate the word replacement profanity filter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hanlon, not difficult to find free music for use in videos. Try googling "free music for use in videos" - plenty of useful links Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh darn - I feel so stupid now! I did originally want to include something but in my rush to submit my application, I didn't bother. D'you think it'll effect my chances? Puzzled I can't change it now and the competition closes on sunday! Eeeek. Crying or Very sad

--> Dave C: I've gotten applications off but haven't heard much back due to my basic level of french. I'm still trying though. Hopefully there's still a couple of chalet host gigs available (I mean, the Snow Bum gig is a longshot right? ha) and i'll get some menu tips off my sister (chef in the making). But, i've got my parents breathing down my neck telling me to get a 'real job'. Tut.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hanlon, sure you've already seen this but look at http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/skijobs.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Sideshow Bob, I'll have another haul through their site tomorrow (my eyes hurt from shortlisting on the guardian's website today)! Note the swapping from 'real jobs' to 'snow bum' jobs snowHead
I was gutted to miss Natives' fair at Olympia. Plus I didn't get to go to the N.E.C boardshow. What was new this year?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will you get in trouble for being 3 secs over the 1 minute limit Puzzled Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't go getting me more worked up! Shocked Haha.
Hopefully not - a moderator approved my entry before they uploaded it so I presume they would've said something...
...but now you've got me thinking Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dude, jester hat?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my mistake, its a snowflake.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hot! Blush
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nah, there's a giant snowflake and a Neff cupcake beanie in amongst the ski paraphernalia... but no jester hat.
Cheers maddness, think you made my day! wink

So what music tracks (ignoring copyright) would've worked d'you think?
Loved the Faded Paper Figures track from Teenage Love Graffiti and have a soft spot for Thermostatic.
snow conditions
Is this trying to be like the competition looking after an island on the Great Barrier Reef? Good luck with the comp!
ski holidays
santogold - I'm a lady

http://youtube.com/v/qmW60Q0Bm6c&feature=related
snow report
Sorta cathy - only better 'cause there's snow right? Very Happy
It's an amazing opportunity to live on, in and around the Canadian snow at Sun Peaks Resort for 3 months and to gain invaluable experience blogging and marketing the resort's ski and board experience. I'm really surprised that more people haven't entered to be honest. Thankyou very much for the good luck, i'm going to need it!

Santogold - I'm a lady? Nice! Smile
snow report
Hey again!

I´m really very sorry if you think i´m spanning but for anyone who´s interested.... I made it into the Top Twenty finalists! Toofy Grin
Competition really hotted up towards the end with 12 applicants submitting their entries at the very last minute so I feel really lucky to have made the cut.
So now, I have an interview and written assignment before Sun Peaks announce their Ultimate Bum on December 1st.
However, video hits and comments could still sway the judges...
If anyone is interested and likes my entry (I realise you might prefer the others, ha, but it´s a nessary risk when you want this snow studded dream to come true like me) then feel free to leave feedback.
Super stoked and super tense right now!

Many thanks and sorry if i´m getting annoying?!?! Puzzled
snow conditions
Have you entered the Powder Highway contest as well?
ski holidays
No I haven´t.
I have my reasons though. I did publish a post explaining way but my paranoia got the best of me! Don´t want to give anything away, ha!
The competition is fantastic though ay? You thought about entering yourself? Sounds like you´re a snow legend from your 4989 posts!
I´ve never skied in North America... looks outta this world.

Maybe I´m hedging my bets by only entering Sun Peaks´competition but it´s where I want to be?

Got any tips for my entry´s exposure at all? I feel like i´m spanning and being repetitive but I´m just so damn keen!! Shocked
snow report
I think from what I've seen of these types of things previously - the vote for your favourite thing is probably a con as its too open to manipulation on tinternet just as in a small way you're trying to do here. Makes sense from a resort's perspective in driving more traffic to their website but ultimately they'll choose the candidate who will give them the most bang for their buck.

In your favour you're young, female but there are some pretty creative entrants you're up against.
snow conditions
Hanlon, I like you entry and you are cute too which help wink If you are wanting hits and feeling brave the why not try a post on Teton Gravity Research, HOWEVER think hard as you may end up getting flamed as they are a bit of a hard bunch sometimes... massive amount of users though so great impact if it works. If you are thick skinned then do it.. but may back fire... Very Happy
snow report
Don't, just don't post that on TGR, unless witness protection identity changes are in your aspirations.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy