Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy, Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
Passo Tonale anyone? Just seen a bargain deal for a week at start of Jan, Half Board in the Grand Hotel Paradiso in Passo Tonale, Italy. Having no idea about skiing in Italy I thought I'd ask the experts..... all thoughts/views welcomed Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
williams691, I went to Passo Tonale in March 2006 so still fairly fresh in my memory. Here are the highs and lows:

Highs:
• It is high and the snow conditions are usually great.
• The pistes are predominantly easy and suited to beginners and intermediates.
• The accommodation is mostly within easy walking distance of the lifts, some hotels are ski in/out.
• It's very good value for money.
• The lift pass covers neighbouring Ponte di Legno and one day in another nearby resort (e.g. Madonna, accessible by bus).
• Accommodation is mostly nice 3/4 star hotels rather than cramped apartments.
• Laid back Italian ambience.

Lows:
• It's a small town strung out along a very busy main road, not many shops/bars/restaurants.
• Quite a long transfer from Verona airport and flights from Manchester and Gatwick only.
• Hardly any mountain huts.
• Relatively small ski area for people used to usual French mileage.

Overall, the value for money factor won me over and I had a great week in a luxurious 4 star hotel at a fraction of the cost of many other resorts. However, I found I preferred the skiing in Madonna on the day I took the bus over there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been twice. I'd second all the above points. Would go again if a good deal came my way
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed in that Hotel about 4 seasons ago. Room was smallish but adequate. Door at the end of the corridor opened onto the lifts. Restaurant is pretty fancy and the food was good if almost too ethnic. They have an umbrella bar beside the hotel which is a blast from 4 onwards. We didnt venture out so cant remark on the apres generally. We rented from the hotel ski shop but skis werent great.

Area is relatively small but plenty for early skiers (i was on my fourth week). The glacier runs - across the road from the hotel - are great and the paradiso black (barely a french red) is terrific fun. Theres a new link to Ponte di Legno (i think) that adds extra options. All and all a good resort for what it is.

Oh - near forgot - our bus went on fire on the way back to the airport!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Ponte Di Legno still on the Tonale lift pass? If memory serves, you can ski a pretty gentle run down the valley, and there are some steep tree lined runs there - and ski bus back. That was 1986, so it may have changed a bit......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisdavis,

There is now a gondola back up, so no need for the bus
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
chrisdavis,

There is now a gondola back up, so no need for the bus

Swanky!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the quick response people Happy Someone mentioned a Black run in resort being like a French Red, does this mean generally the Italians over-grade their runs?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
williams691 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response people Happy Someone mentioned a Black run in resort being like a French Red, does this mean generally the Italians over-grade their runs?

France seems to be the Snowheads skiing yardstick. Like football pitches are used to gauge space, and golf balls to explain the size of hailstones.

Don't know what we did before ball sports.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is oodles of snow there already
http://www.adamelloski.com/interne/Webcam.aspx?ID=3226

It is one of the places I am considering for January, too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Igluski is currently showing 6 different hotels in Passo Tonale with a package price of under £400 for the week of 9th January.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
williams691, As others have said, we really enjoyed Passo Tonale (Hotel Orchidea) and the skiing. Not a wild nightlife, but a couple of bars, mainly within the hotels. We flew to Bergamo, with a transfer of about 2 hours. Not a pretty town, but the skiing was very good for us (a 25 year plus skier, and a nervous 3 year-er). I'd go again without hesitation
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
williams691, I would say that the French under-grade their runs. I'm an average intermediate skier (been skiing since childhood, about 20-odd weeks and one season). Generally I can stomach most Italian and Austrian blacks, with some notable exceptions, but I wouldn't venture near a French black, nor many French reds. I want to enjoy myself not scare myself silly.

Passo Tonale is an easy resort though. The Paradiso black down from the glacier isn't really challenging and the long red Alpino run is probably a similar level of difficulty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anniepen,

We stayed in the Orchidea in 2003 and loved it. Lovely family run hotel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went to Passo 2004 and i would echo what everyone has said about the skiing, except to add that we did the run down to Ponte De legno and the last half mile (felt like more) was totally flat and had to be pushed/walked. The kids were moaning like a drain about it and it about spoilt the day. There was not much skiing when we got down there and we couldn't even find a bar. I would only recommend the skiing for a very early intermediate or beginner apart from the black (should be a red) down the glacier which was excellent but about the only testing run in the area. We did however experience possibly the best meat fondue we have ever had, this was in a restaurant quite near the ski lifts in the main resort, there was also great music in the bar/restaurant, sadly I can't remember the name of it but it was fantastic!
snow report
The French Alps might under grade but the French Pyrenees over grade more than anywhere I have been to in Austria or Italy, so will be interesting to see for myself how Passo Tonale compares at half term
snow report
Kaiser846,

I actually really enjoyed Ponte di Legno, and I have skied 30 trips over 17 years. I would go back to Passo Tonale given the chance. It has a reasonable sized area, good snow, fast lifts, no queues, and great hotels.
snow conditions
johnboy, Passo Tonale was my first ski trip, so I hold it with great affection. We stayed in a hotel with a girls school party from Blackpool, which might seem like a nightmare, but the teachers and the school kids were great fun. It started well on the scheduled Alitalia flight to Milan when they dished out meals complete with a half bottle of wine included, even to the school girls.

These bottles of wine were quickly dispatched to us and we accepted them under great duress. Twisted Evil

We ended up in the resort after a 5 hour transfer consumming duty frees and the Rep gave up on us and just threw a bunch of room keys at us and said 'Sort yourselves out', although it was all done with great humour as I think she'd sussed that we would sort it out between ourselves.

It was a slippery slope to many more ski holidays. It's an ambition of mine to go back one day to see where my ski odyssey started
snow conditions
Had a fine trip there earlier this year. Like most places very busy over the weekend, but during the week it wasn't too bad.

Went in March and there was an apparent record amount of snow about so much that I couldn't see much out of my hotel room 1st floor window. It is all fairly open and unsheltered, if a bitter wind picks up it is quite chilly.

The piste down to Ponte De Legno is quite hard work if you aren't prepared to let gravity take charge at the start of the run down. This is easier however than the off piste route from the glacier!

During the week I had one day of flat light and generally poor conditions, lots of people gave up with it or became seemingly stranded mid piste. I nipped down to Ponte De Legno and had a great time on some deserted tree lined steep slopes with patches of powder. I did see a nice looking cafe on one of the runs there but was having far too much fun to stop. The gondola back makes things nice and easy.

The few cafes get crowded at peek times btw.

Overall was very happy with the trip, would recommend it, but will not return myself as there are other places to explore before going back to somewhere I have already been.
snow report
Thanks for the reviews, some really handy tips and advice - sounds like a bit of a hidden gem; to be honest I'd never heard of Passo Tonale and for the last 5 years I've only really considered the big French resorts. Should be interesting exploring somewhere different - even if the runs are a little less challenging.

Me and the Mrs can handle the tough French Reds but are a bit wary when it comes to blacks such as Le Tunnel (Alp d'huez) and Super Diable (L2A), so the fact that we should be able to ski the whole of Passo Tonale really appeals to me Happy Roll on New Year....
latest report
I've always been interested in Passo Tonale, after having day tripped there on a summer holiday from Lago Iseo.

However personally due to the nature of the skiing, the majority of it all seems a bit similar. I'd would of think of doing a two centre holiday, spending 3 days in Passo Tonale and 3 days in Madonna di Campligio.

The restaurant at the bottom of the glacier served incredible polenta and beef when I was there 5 years ago.
ski holidays
williams691,

Although I am a big fan, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a hidden gem, but it is snow sure, great value, interesting skiing in Ponte di Legno. The skiing above Tonale is a bit samey, but there are some great long runs. Deffinately a good change from France.
snow report
williams691, there are some seriously good things about Passo Tonale.

It's the cheapest resort I've ever been to, and I usually go to the cheaper end of the Austrian resorts.
It had the best value ski hire I've ever seen. And pristine kit.
Pontedeligno is quite pretty, with some interesting tree-lined skiing.
There are 2 great spots for lunch at Pontedeligno. One by a lake at Valbione (great views and atmosphere) and one by the bottom chairlift base (fantastic pizza).
You can get a free bus to Marilleva/Folgarida/Madonna. Just get a ticket the day before from the tourist office.

On the downside, the slopes above Passo Tonale are....well I just typed "rubbish" then edited it for harshness. The slopes are...to be a bit more factual...of the most consistent pitch and with the least variety of any section of any resort I have visited. It wasn't a showstopper as you still have 2 other local areas (Pdl and the glacier) and the bus out.
ski holidays
Agree (mostly) with JimiHendrix - slopes above Passo are pretty dull and, importantly, south-facing, so snow quality can suffer a bit. I loved the area on the other side of the road though, up to the glacier. Decent, long black run, scenic mid-level run across the end of the glacier and some wide steeper stuff up the top. More importantly though, some epic off-piste runs which no-one else seems to touch...
latest report
We went to Passo earlier this year for a bargain last minute trip. We previously have skied mainly in Italy and Switzerland. Unfortunately we found the slopes in Passo a bit dull. There were 2 parks and a boarder-cross which provided some entertainment and it chucked it down with snow, so even I managed to venture off to the side of the piste. The glacier side of the resort is steeper and more challenging.

Ponte provided some more varied terrain and we preferred to play around there and the restaurant at Valbione did lovely hot chocolate for a reasonable price.

We also did the day trip to Madonna, although I don't recall the bus being free - I thought it was 6€ but I may be wrong.
Madonna was a great day out. In fact, we enjoyed it so much we skied the whole day without stopping for lunch. The skiing was much more interesting and varied and we would go back but Passo won't be on our list of places to return to I'm afraid.

Don't be put off, if the price is good and it means you get a trip and there is snow then you may as well go for it... You won't know whether its your cup of tea until you get there and if it isn't then there are nearby alternatives that you may prefer. As I said it was a last minute deal and therefore reasonable value for money and those thick gloopy hot chocolates in Ponte were really very good...
ski holidays
I did Passo earlier this year on a day pass and the only thing I can say is that its snow-sure and the black down from the glacier is interesting, though after some heavy fresh even the instructors were treating it with caution - very chopped up and busy!

Other than that, I wish I hadn't bothered. Dull slopes, really dull. Soulless place. One to cross off and never return.

Having visited on the day pass whilst staying in Folgarida with the links to Madonna, I couldn't wait to get back - infinitely more varied, interesting, prettier, challenging, fun etc etc etc.

Thank God it was only a day!
snow report
Well 1 negative comment in 25 isn't bad - I'm looking forward to the snow, web cam looks promising :- ) http://www.adamelloski.com/interne/Webcam.aspx?ID=3226
snow conditions
williams691 wrote:
Well 1 negative comment in 25 isn't bad - I'm looking forward to the snow, web cam looks promising :- ) http://www.adamelloski.com/interne/Webcam.aspx?ID=3226

??

Quote:
slopes above Passo are pretty dull and, importantly, south-facing, so snow quality can suffer a bit.

Quote:
On the downside, the slopes above Passo Tonale are....well I just typed "rubbish" then edited it for harshness. The slopes are...to be a bit more factual...of the most consistent pitch and with the least variety of any section of any resort I have visited.

Quote:
We went to Passo 2004 and i would echo what everyone has said about the skiing, except to add that we did the run down to Ponte De legno and the last half mile (felt like more) was totally flat and had to be pushed/walked. The kids were moaning like a drain about it and it about spoilt the day. There was not much skiing when we got down there and we couldn't even find a bar.

Quote:
• It's a small town strung out along a very busy main road, not many shops/bars/restaurants.
• Quite a long transfer from Verona airport and flights from Manchester and Gatwick only.
• Hardly any mountain huts.
• Relatively small ski area for people used to usual French mileage.

Quote:
However personally due to the nature of the skiing, the majority of it all seems a bit similar.

OK, some may have had a little balance in places, but from the maths I was taught back in the day, I make that at least 6 pretty negative posts covering several points.

Nonetheless, I hope you have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dreadful place...really really boring sking, poor lifts, takes ages to get from one end to the other (bascially trying to get to the okayish sking in ponti), full of drunk poles
latest report
I did a season in Tonale in 2004 and so have a soft spot for it. The locals are fantastic; the hotels great value; there are some interesting bars (El Bait has real ale on draught - they get a keg in each week and plonk it on the bar. La Botte has 40 types of Grappa and I've tried them all. IN ONE NIGHT but only tiny amounts) You can ride a sled with a team of dogs... and a lot more.

But the most telling thing is that on my day off I always took the bus to Campiglio which is a 3 hour round trip. The skiing in Tonale is limited if you're above an intermediate skier. But if you're going early Jan it will be empty. You can then blast around the place un-molested. The red from the top of Contrabandieri is a couple of minutes, top to bottom, of absolute leg burning, carving joy.

As for the lifts. Don't know whatpapasmurf, was doing but it's possible to traverse from one side of the resort to the other using 2 quick chairs.

If you're going down to Ponte de Legno make sure you don't miss the hidden chairlift on the left behind the tree as you flatten out.Kaiser846, obviously did and had a half mile pole session.

I'm obviously biased, but if you've got a good deal - and the snows good. Enjoy. However, I would only book to go there again to see some of the locals and not for the skiing.
snow report
izBun - cheers, sounds like you had fun, I'll keep in mind your top tips... Mr Pedantic, sorry Chasser, I didn't actually go through the thread counting the comments I deemed negative, I was refering to the thread overall - and as such there was clearly one person posting a negative comment, everyone else has praised elements of the resort, granted there's some good "constructive criticism", but generally the posts are positive - thanks to everyone who's taken time to comment, have a good season y'all Happy
ski holidays
williams691,

I can understand Chasseur, ' s comments, but have a soft spot for the place too. Courcheval it is not, however, as stated before, it has,

1) Great hotels
2) Good Value
3) reasonable amount of Km
4) good Snow/ Glacier
5) Trees in Ponte
6) Close to Madonna
7) Empty piste
Cool fantastic lift system
snow report
All. Only tourists refer to Madonna di Campiglio as Madonna. It's a bit like calling Southend-on sea - "on-sea". Madonna just means "our lady" and refers to 95% of touristy places in all Italian towns. Next time you're in Newcastle see how far you get by telling the locals how much you're enjoying being "upon Tyne"
snow report
jzBun,

I know, but I couldn't be arsed writing the rest, same with Ponte wink
ski holidays
jzBun wrote:
All. Only tourists refer to Madonna di Campiglio as Madonna. It's a bit like calling Southend-on sea - "on-sea". Madonna just means "our lady" and refers to 95% of touristy places in all Italian towns. Next time you're in Newcastle see how far you get by telling the locals how much you're enjoying being "upon Tyne"

That made me laugh - thanks. After all, isn't that what we are? Tourists? Or is that something to be ashamed of?
ski holidays
The worst ski hol I ever had, made Borovets look good//
The most scar resort you will ever visit, not a pretty ski resort, but a pass through the mountains that the wind whistles through all winter.
Ski school poor to average, we had a lazy ski instructor who was late for every lesson and would finish early rather than get that extra run in.
Ski hire shop tried to give us boots that were wet inside from the last user, with the insoles in a crumple.
I have been to Italy many times and love the laid back attitude of the Italians, but there is a big difference between laid back and bone lazy/indifferent.
Once was enough for me I would never even consider it no matter how good the bargain.
latest report
dan2000, Italian ski instructors have never been noted for thier dilligence. Have you never seen an Italian ski instructor on his mobile, talking to his mamma, while smoking a fag, leading a snake of beginners down a blue. I've done 2 seasons in Italy and rarely see anything else. Italy is for people who don't like france. It's glorious!

Ski hire shop - for boots? Puzzled You're on a snow sports forum!!! Buy some boots!
snow conditions
I Agree
Have Skied Bardonecchia Courmeyer and Livigno
All friendly people and great food I love most things Italian but not Passo Tonale
Havnt seen the fag scenario but have seen an italian driving a smart car with said fag in one hand, mobile in the other speeding through heavy traffic in Rome///
I bought the boots the next year //
ski holidays
A few years ago since I went but it's worth going to for a good price, a little bland but if you catch the snow good anywhere is great. I preferred Ponte di Legno to Passo Tonale so make sure you ski that to have a look. It was before the link so don't know if it's changed much.
latest report
Mixed reviews!

I went in 2006, and its where I learnt to board! I thought the instructors where great and they got me to a very good level in a few days!

Night life wasn't great, but we did find some good bars and we did have a few very good nights! wink

Overall I really enjoyed Passo, yes its definetly not the best place I've been, but I would go again! In fact I have just booked for a week in Feb because of a great deal neilson had on. (Money is a bit short this year as I got married in the summer and christmas just around the corner!)

(2 adults) Flights from manchester, Hotel (Half Board), board carriage, 2x adult full area lift passes, in Feb for around £900! I thought that was really good considering lifts passes being around £300 for the two of us.

Snow looking good already too:
Last snowed:
60cm on 01 Dec
Lower slopes (1800m): 30cm
Upper slopes (2700m): 310cm

Roll on Feb. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy