Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a company that can do midweek trips

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and a friend can only get away Wed 16th to Mon 21st Dec and we are finding it very difficult to get any quotes from the usual companies, as they tend to be sat-sat type operators. Booking independently is shaping up to be v v v expensive...

Does anyone know of a company and/or website that deals with 'strange' departure/return days?

We just want to be somewhere high as it's early season (or somewhere low that has shed loads of snow!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
europa, Midweek will be a challenge with any of the tour operators, independent is probably the best option and going mid week you should be able to get a deal Swiss out of Birmingham ski's if you have them at no extra cost. Sorry they fly to Zurich Embarassed

You have one big challenge in that you are eating into the Christmas week bookings, you could take a late flight back on 20 December and ski all day depending on their change over day. We used Sixt Alpine chalet for midweek break, they will pick up from Geneva and run you into Samoens, should be high enough for snow, or look at Cool Chalet for Les Arcs, they can be flexible and to transfers, finally More Alps in La Rosiere

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-11-09 13:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try these people http://www.mountainsunltd.com/tignes_files/tignesskiing.htm they do mid week trips to Tignes and Le coches(La Plagne)
I've done both over the last couple of years and they are good value and reasonable quality. You have to get your own flights to Geneva, but they do free transfers.
(edited to add more info)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
these guys do day to day bookings - http://www.chillchalet.com/index.htm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowCoach are very flexible on accomodation but you'll need to sort out your flights / transfers. Their hotels at Valmeinier (at 1800m) and St Gervais should be OK for snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
europa, if you want to DIY, my apartment can be booked starting any day and for any length of time up to the 24th December. Flights available to Turin and Grenoble, but you would need car hire or transfers. Serre Chevalier ususally does well for early snow, and we already have a decent amount.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
europa, from what I know about flexible bookings (which is that they're VERY difficult) I'd suggest you snap up Helen Beaumont's offer as soon as possible - it would be a great option and you're running out of time. Travelling those days you should get some good flight prices too. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You may be best not treating as a ski trip but just as a Euro trip.
You could book on http://www.lastminute.com and then get the other bits (lift pass, etc) when you arrive. You may need to book a little away from the resort and travel in each day but think it should work out OK.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a midweek trip you'll usually have to DIY it... but December is quite early in the season so finding accommodation might not be too bad. Pierre et Vacances often have short break room availability outside of the main season... check out their website. UCPA have some short breaks available from Thur->Sun early in the season (a good option if you don't mind sharing with others and you're under 40). Otherwise, generally if you turn up at a resort you'll usually be able to find the odd *hotel* with short break space even during high season but you won't be able to book them in advance as they'll want to keep their rooms available for Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun. (Obviously hotels are the most expensive way of staying in a resort).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but December is quite early in the season so finding accommodation might not be too bad.

but this isn't "out of main season" - the last two days of the OP's trip fall into the Christmas week (which is 19 - 26th December in Saturday changeover areas). christmas isn't as peak as New Year - but it's certainly not a quiet week for accommodation.

I have, incidentally, had blank refusals, on the actual day, from French hotels which I know to be half full at best, for a one night stay in the middle of January. I think other countries are maybe more flexible - and certainly towns away from the resorts are a good idea.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, agreed, there is already very little availability in Serre Chevalier for Christmas and New Year weeks, as I tried without success to find an apartment for some friends.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
europa, you can try these folks - no experience with them yet, but we've booked a week with them for the coming season, precisely because we can book Wednesday to Wednesday. They seem to be flexible with midweek bookings and transfers
(or short stay) in some of their properties.

http://www.huski.com/default.asp
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
europa, Have a look at the website below. Nina tells me we can do you a B&B room for those dates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We do any day arrival short breaks in Tignes and Les Coches - details here : www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks . Prices include Geneva transfers and catered accommodation with hot late supper on arrival night, breakfast and afternoon tea with cakes daily and a three course dinner with free flowing wine other evenings of stay.

further info joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
europa, try easiski's website www.easiski.com IIRC she has some contacts with apartments in Les Deux Alpes and it is pretty easy to fly to Grenoble and bus up the hill... or LYon and train or bus to Grenoble then bus... The glacier makes it a pretty safe bet
latest report
I know of an excellent chalet who do 'odd' bookings (well, they let me stay for a start wink ) at www.skivillaroger.com - and you can even take a short drive over to La Rosiere for a day whilst you are there rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thanks to you all for your advice, especially those who PM'd me with offers.

We've found a hotel & are off the Mayrhofen to carve up the slopes. Can't wait, so excited, best go and dust off the board Cool Cool Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy