Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

El NINO - Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Please bare with me as this is my first post.
Im thinking of going to Whistler early Jan 2010. Someone told me not to bother because it was an El Nino year and there wouldn't be much snow. is this true Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha, that might be a problem for the Winter Olympic if it is true .....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although this is no guarentee (things can change) but have a look here if you wish:

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/cams/whistler/index.htm

See for yourself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well they have over a metre forecast for the next 6 days, although a lot of this will fall as rain on the lower half of the mountain. It is meant to be an el nino and this is meant to be bad for whistler but its a much better start to the season for them than last year anyway
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No-one knows. The pacific northwest & interior BC can be adversely affected in El Nino years but no 2 El Ninos are the same. Will your holdiay be ruined if you're not skiing 2 foot of fresh every day? if not don't stress out too much IMV.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.whistlersnowreport.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd be more concerned about the effect the winter olympics is going to have on the place then the el nino.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even if El nino halves the amount of precipitation that Whilster normally gets, then it is probably more than you are used to .

Just be aware that at village level, precipitation can mean rain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen El Nino take the credit for a good snow year and take the blame for a bad one. It's just one piece of the jigsaw out there.

The Olys won't have much of an effect in early Jan. Except maybe keep the number of punters down.

Quite like the video on here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/snowreport/index.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check out the farmers almanac - it's forecast is flying in the face of el nino and predicting powder time for BC this winter!

only time will tell but as i've just moved to Vancouver i'm keeping my fingers crossed those farmers know what's what snowHead !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WHISTLER BLACKCOMB TO OPEN 12 DAYS EARLY THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14

The words 'opening day' and 'early,' much like peanut butter and jelly, always go together so well, which is why Whistler Blackcomb is very pleased to announce that Whistler Mountain is opening its doors early, this Saturday, November 14, with Blackcomb Mountain following in its footsteps on Thursday, November 26.

Mother Nature has certainly been kind to us with an estimated 70-100 cm (28-39 inches) of snow accumulated over the past seven days. And, with the cold front moving across the south Coastal Mountains, forecasts indicate another 65 cm (26 inches) of snow could fall by opening day. Combine that with the power of an arsenal of over 160 snow guns, and this early season is off to a very white start.

On Saturday, skiers and riders will be able to head up Whistler Mountain via the Whistler Village Gondola, with Big Red Express, Emerald Express, and Franz's Chair all open. Guests should note, however, that early season conditions do apply and caution should be exercised at all times with the terrain available best suited for intermediate to advanced riders and skiers. In addition to that, guests should observe all mountain signage and stay within the operational boundary, which will be marked with "Temporary Boundary" signs during the early season. Whistler Mountain's hours of operation will be from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm daily. Lift tickets will be $59 CAD. View 'WHAT'S OPEN' for details.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
El Nino seems to mean a wetter year than normal for Whistler. The trick is how cold it is ......

Plenty of snow at the moment though, with plenty more on the way. Whistler is opening this weekend
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check out this link if you want to read about the effects of El Nino on ski hills in North America: http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

Plenty of snow this week already, Mt. Baker also opening tomorrow...they already have a 125 cm base...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cbr7 wrote:
WHISTLER BLACKCOMB TO OPEN 12 DAYS EARLY THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14

The words 'opening day' and 'early,' much like peanut butter and jelly, always go together so well...

I read that yesterday and thought they were joking when they said peanut butter and jelly go together so well. Skullie

Every how many years is el nino? Was 2004/05 an el nino year because the snow that year in Whistler was absolutely terrible! Rain right to the top of the mountains for days! It's been so much better since then though...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowy wrote:
It's been so much better since then though...

Except January last year which though on a comparative scale to Jan 2005 was pretty good (ie no lakes on pistes), wasn't exactly great either - especially Blackcomb
snow report
Well, I've just made my early purchase of discounted lift tickets, so I guess it's just a case of hanging on and taking whatever it throws at us. - Only 4 months to go.....
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:

Every how many years is el nino? Was 2004/05 an el nino year because the snow that year in Whistler was absolutely terrible! Rain right to the top of the mountains for days! It's been so much better since then though...

It's not set in stone, it happens when it happens and can last longer or shorter than a year. It also differs in strength, so could have a big effect or little effect, in my opinion it is only a small factor what the snow conditions will be like. The effects in the northern hemisphere are tough to predict or even prove that they were linked to the El Nino although it is widely belived to be warmer in north-western America during an El Nino event.

It can however be the direct cause to weather events in the southern hemisphere (seeing as it happens there). Takes some understanding, of which I admit I don't fully!

alexkortum wrote:
Check out this link if you want to read about the effects of El Nino on ski hills in North America: http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

Hardly in laymans terms is it?

Can't find much better though!
latest report
stuarth, the first few days of January were very good (after a lot of fresh snow). It's just the first few days of February that were rather stodgy and wearing on the old legs.

I definitely need some heavy blasting skis for skiing the shmoo. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:

I definitely need some heavy blasting skis for skiing the shmoo. rolling eyes

Me too!!! Laughing I can handle rain in Whistler village because it's usually snowing higher up and typically it's only for a day or two before it all changes again. Whistler schmoo on the other hand is definitely not my favourite snow condition to ski in. Skullie
ski holidays
04/05 was El Nino and it was terrible - it was way too warm. We got plenty of precipitation though, hopefully this year will be cooler and result in lots of powder Smile
today was opening day, and it was awesome - check out my report at

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/opening-day-at-whistler-1676.htm
snow conditions
Acacia, When are you there? I'm there at about the 4th March.
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth,

Other end of the month I'm afraid: 21st onwards.
snow report
Acacia, So I'm sandwiched between the two Olympics and you're there after them.

Won't see you there then, will let you know about the conditions.
ski holidays
TOOTIE, whislter maybe very cold in Jan. Been there a couple of times and once in Jan and it was -17 in the village.
having said that it was a great time. If you go try and go for 10 days to 2 weeks as this means if you get bad weather for a couple of days its less of a loss
also you can get rain in / on lower slopes so be warned.
drop us a line if you want to chat more snowHead
snow report
From watching the Olympics seems to show it is warmer on the west coast of the USA and I could't help but remeber this thread and thinking El Nino may very well have contributed to this! Thought I'd check average temps compared to current temps and found this to be the outcome:

Average temp: 7 degrees C
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT000950

This weeks forecast: 10 degrees C
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/281
ski holidays
TOOTIE wrote:
Please bare with me as this is my first post.
Im thinking of going to Whistler early Jan 2010. Someone told me not to bother because it was an El Nino year and there wouldn't be much snow. is this true Puzzled

YES.

I'd stay in Europe if I were you wink Laughing
ski holidays
we went to whistler in early jan and just had heaps of snow up top but rain in the village. El Nino didnt spoil it as much for me as it has the Olympics!
snow conditions
The climate is far too complicated to say with any degree of certainty that the weatehr in Whistler is down to El Nino, which is just one of many systems that could affect.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy