Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in a cast...

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so I know i should probably not, but.

Broke my arm 14th of last month cos i'm not as good as I think I am on the plastic terrain park up at Aberdeen snow centre.
Now sporting a nice above elbow cast Sad

Managed 10hrs of slope time last week at Chill factore without comment (well I had to christen my new Rossi S5's) whilst my girls had their lessons.

Only now back north and not allowed on the plastic as "I have a broken arm!!!" I tried to say its unlikely to break again whilst its in the cast. My guess is that they have insurance clauses...and they are a great group of people.

Any one else out there stupid enough to be trying to get their 'fix' before they should or do i need to see the psycology dept rather than the orthopedics Dr's
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you wanna be a class A idiot. Just soak the cast in the bath and cut it off. Then you can ski all you want.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Ok so I know i should probably not, but..............

Any one else out there stupid enough to be trying to get their 'fix' before they should or do i need to see the psycology dept rather than the orthopedics Dr's

You said it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
.......Don't think I have not allready thought about it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Im sure i dont actually need the arm anyway..after all I have two
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood wrote:

Last year in St Anton, i had a nasty fall on day 2 of the holiday. Was in absolute agony, but managed to get back to the chalet.
Spent most of the evening in tears (i'm a girl, so it's allowed), partly due to the pain in my leg but also partly due to thinking that my holiday was over.

Woke up the next morning, still in agony, but having decided to ski on regardless of pain and discomfort. Refused all advice to go to the resort medical centre as I didn't want them to tell me I shouldn't be skiing and possibly cause an insurance problem should i make my leg any worse than it was.

Skied the rest of the week nursing a very painful leg and spent most of the evenings limping around dosed up with pain killers.

Still managed to have a fantastic holiday.

Got home, leg no better after another week, still limping around, so i go to Tameside General Hospital. Diagnosis? Fractured tibial plateau - i.e. a bone fracture just below the knee. The fracture was almost a complete break and apparently i was super lucky to have skied on it and not made it much, much worse.

So, no. You're not the only nutter willing to do anything to get their fix!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Im sure i dont actually need the arm anyway..after all I have two

Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
broke my arm on day two of first ever boarding holiday (teaching myself, natch) one day bored in resort was enough to convince me that, rather than a hindrance it was a good motivational tool to not fall again! got quite good by the end of the week Very Happy

naturally the doc's weren't totally supportive......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevindonkleywood wrote:

Any one else out there stupid enough to be trying to get their 'fix' before they should

Slingman got his nickname because on a EoSB he dislocated his shoulder and then carried on skiing for the rest of the week with his arm in a sling.
Needless to say he is a very good skier. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am so pleased to see that i am not alone in my mental illness. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

BTW the Rossi S5's were worth every penny.....roll on January and Flaine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fell at the Midlothian dry slope in Edinburgh during an individual slalom race in November 2006, and felt a clicking motion in my right ski boot. Got up, finished the race. Removed boot hours later, ankle was very swollen. Ignored it, went out. Skied at Midlothian the next day in team races. Removed boots, ankle even more swollen. Went home, ignored ankle, which had then turned black/purple.

Decemer 2006, ankle still funny shape and a bit sore. Crammed it into ski boots. Worked for 4 weeks in Zurs, Austria with ski school.

February 2007, ankle seemed fine. Worked in Klosters, Switzerland for 3 weeks over Feb half term with ski school.

March 2007, worked in Zermatt for a month with ski school.

April 2007, whilst still in Zermatt, fell on moguls (Trifji for those who know it). Bust knee. Carried off mountain. Have full x-ray on right leg. Ligament damage to knee, but also discover a fractured ankle dating back several months which had by then healed, but clearly not 'under medical supervision.' Realise broke ankle back in November but carried on skiing for the rest of season.

Feel stupid Embarassed . But would probably do the same again. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent stuff!! I feel so much more 'normal' after reading some of these accounts!

I guess if you knew it was broken you may have missed the whole season though Sad and by April there would be nearly a whole year to get better... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am known for regularly dislocating my shoulder while skiing - the most time I've had off the slopes is 24 hrs, before heading back out (although gigngerly). The way I look at it is why spend all that money on a lift pass not to ski!!?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just ruptured my Achilles and had to cancel two trips, leg will be out of cast hopefully next week and my thinking was I'm in a solid boot so maybe Jan 16 would be ok, physio said I could try it if I was mad!!!!!!!
Now I know its a totally different injury, like leg v arm but I got to thinking of insurance, if I knacked myself again on the slope I would probably be hit with a heffty bill for pulling me off the mountain (I hear helicopters aren't cheap) this is backed up by most insurance policy's that will not pay out unless you declare prior conditions. Now I'm not an insurance expert but even a numpty would say your arm is in that category.
Phoned my insurance company to claim back my two trips and enquired as to the condition, cost me £4.98 to have it put on the insurance and I am now covered (allegedly) even if I went skiing and knacked myself on piste. Here's the kicker you would need the sign off of the medical practitioner who is treating you to say its ok to ski?
My advice suck it in and wait until your fit, don't know the recovery time for your arm but maybe end of season? Better that than ballsing it up and landing yourself with a crippling bill, remember its not your skiing abilities alone you could always get taken out by an idiot like the drunken Dutchmen who wiped me out from above three years ago in Saalbach.
Whatever you chose good luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Broke my back in July 2005. Cunningly manoevered my doctor into saying the magic words "no further treatment required" just before Christmas when what he really meant was "you don't need to come back to the hospital, but you should take it VERY easy for another 6 months".

Went snowboarding at New Year. Good powder condtions. That push at the bottom of every powder turn HURT, but it felt soooo good all the same. Very Happy rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i dislocated a shoulder two seasons ago in a fall in mayrhofen and was back on skis the next week, arm in sling. I tell you the worst thing is trying to buckle boots - I had to get the lifties to help.
latest report
Markgraf: excellent advice something i had not thought about!! i should be ok for the Dr sign off once the cast is off I hope so like you say i better inform them prior to travelling.
snow conditions
On a serious note - a cautionary tale: a friend broke both his legs in a motorcycle accident over 20 years ago and was on told on discharge post surgery that he was to put NO weight on them while in the cast. He ignored that advice totally. The healing process was very slow and the medics were puzzled as to why as he said he'd done nothing but rest. Immediately the casts were off he again ignored advice regarding physio or other rehab and quickly discarded crutches, learning to walk in a rather lurching style. He never managed to walk with a "normal" gait but refused to consider going back to the hospital for checkups. Now in his 50s you could drive a bus between his knees, so bowed are his legs; he is in constant pain and will be considered for both hip & knee replacements in due course because of the peculiar stresses they have been under with his bent legs.
latest report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Markgraf: excellent advice something i had not thought about!! i should be ok for the Dr sign off once the cast is off I hope so like you say i better inform them prior to travelling.

If doc signs you off and you inform Insurer you should be good to go Kevin, may cost you a couple of quid for extra cover but at least you know you will get off the hill and not have to sell your soul for the privilege.

Have a good one! Smile
ski holidays
The missus broke some bones in her foot in Switzerland but the doc in resort bound it up and said if she could get her boot on and ski it was up to her if she could handle the pain Shocked .
She did for a day as well (bless her) but then the nausea put pay to her 'fun'.
latest report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
kevindonkleywood wrote:

Any one else out there stupid enough to be trying to get their 'fix' before they should

Slingman got his nickname because on a EoSB he dislocated his shoulder and then carried on skiing for the rest of the week with his arm in a sling.
Needless to say he is a very good skier. snowHead

Not only that but he took part in the race Laughing
ski holidays
If you have the freedom, find a sympathetic doctor, preferably a skier, and seek advice on the feasibility of skiing.

When I broke my ribs (hit a tree while skiing), my doctor simply said "I don't see why not"! Same with a ligament demage in knee (different doctor), he simply adviced "be careful and don't re-injury it again".

Both doctors were skiers. I think they understand the activity better to make a more informed advice. (and if a "skier doctor" say no, perhaps you should consider it more seriously too)
snow report
I broke my arm in three places in a mountain bike incident in November 2007. In March 2008 I skied in Kitzbuhel. OK the cast was gone but the arm was still very weak and supported in a futura splint. I couldn't pole with it, nor could I catch/hold the button lift with it. But I skied and it was great! I'd imagine a cast would be easier than that! But it would be a question for your insurers.
snow report
If they don't let ski helmets or boots into the cabin on an aircraft will they let an arm in a plaster cast on board or will it have to go into the hold?

wink
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, for sheer bloody minded -ness, can I point you in the direction of this thread which started with my hubby breaking his neck on 29th December, and ended with him skiing in April in Serre Chevalier and Val Thorens. And yes, the insurers allowed him to, but there was no cast.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46852&start=160#1122527 shows the 'holiday snaps'
snow report
Quote:

If they don't let ski helmets or boots into the cabin on an aircraft will they let an arm in a plaster cast on board or will it have to go into the hold?

Have had the joy of lots of airports recently and was fortunate enough to be allowed to take my arm on as 'cabin baggage' having said that i did have to take off my shoes, belt AND SHIRT at security. I just felt sorry for all those in the queue having to look at that so early in the morning. I do think they were just 'easing the boredom' with the shirt thing rather than anything else.

On a more serious note I know if it was a leg cast they would not have flown me at all and I understand that some airlines insist that new casts are split prior to flying just incase the limb swells up on long haul flights.

Quote:

sheer bloody minded -ness,

You have to admire the level of dedication to 'the art', or is it just pure addiction??, and not a usual holiday snap either! very different.
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, pure addiction is probably the best description.
snow report
At the British Champs a couple of years ago, one of the girls broke her wrist in the slalom. At the medical centre, the doctor asked if she wanted the cast fitted around her ski pole so that she could go out & compete in the GS the following day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ibuprofen is marvellous stuff. Half the world wouldn't manage to ski without it.

Went skiing with a crowd of doctors - and a nurse. 400mg of Ibuprofen was issued by the nurse to all skiers first thing in the morning.
latest report
James the Last, I went skiing with a bunch of pharmacists, something similar.
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood, last year I broke my thumb and had a cast on my hand and wrist for six weeks, including one week skiing in Hintertux, and carried on traiing on plastic as soon as the permanent cast was fitted. Similarly to skiboy91's story, my consultant also asked me to bring in a ski-pole to ensure he could mould the cast around the handle. Also there was at least one guy racing on the plastic last summer in a forearm cast. The biggest problem was getting a glove to go over it (I ended up making a glove out of bubble wrap and gaffer tape). In your case though, I'd advise against it, as you say your cast runs above the elbow. That has to reduce mobility, and I'd be unhappy with that (and what it might do to your shoulder) in the case of a fall. I did once have a fall when I had restricted arm mobility (glissading with skis over my shoulder) - I hyperextended the joint, it was three months before I could use it properly again, and it's still got weakness and restricted movement 7 years later. After all, you've only got a few weeks until the cast comes off.

(NB: I have no medical training)
snow report
OP. Wear a baggy shirt.
snow report
GrahamN,

Probably very good advice, I had no problems skiing down in manchester but dendex is a totally different matter! even minor impacts have left me black and blue in the past.

Was it your Scaphoid you broke?? I managed that one too! at least that one was a below elbow cast. Still its not much fun.

You are right about shoulder risk on plastic though, probably better waiting till i go into the below elbow cast before asking again Very Happy

Gaffa tape....lol...where would the world be without that little invention?
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, last year's was actually a ligament - ulnar ligament at 1st metacarpo-phalangeal joint. Previous year it was a bone break - Bennett's fracture of the 1st metacarpal bone Wink . Year before that was 5th metacarpal on the other hand.... Laughing .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy