Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport To Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I've just booked flights to Munich Airport on Boxing Day. Ideally I would like to end up somewhere in Austria - I'm keeping all options open at the moment. Can anyone advise me as to how to do this and also can anyone recommend a fairly high (snow sure) resort. There are four of us in our 40s and we're not great skiiers ( in fact the two ladies are going for a bit of relaxation and a bit of shopping)but we're all going for the craic! If anyone comes along who might have some recommendations for accommodation then I'd love to hear from them as well. Limited budget so we are aiming for b&B or 3* hotel at best.Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flew last year to Munich and did a transfer to Hintertux with Four Seasons from the airport.
Hintertux will be snow sure.
Mayrehoffen an option.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The train is easy to many resorts in Austria from Munich. Get the S-Bahn to Munich East and then get an onward connection. Deutchebahn provide an excellent, English language Journey Planner. Simply use Munich Airport as your departure point.

A few off the top of my head:

Zell am See
Bad Gastein
Innsbruck area (something like four areas plus ample shopping!)
Zillertal (Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller, Hochfugen, etc)
Garmisch-Partenkirchen (still in Germany!)

Keep a keen eye on the webcams, it should be clear who is catching the snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd suggest Zillertal too, but of course, I'd recommend it... I live there!!!
Trains are easy and as Dek, says, Four Seasons Travel is an option. Last winter they were charging €42 one way from Munich Airport to Strass, (which is the village at the motorway end of the Zillertal), would probably cost a little more to be dropped actually in Zillertal itself. Their website is here: http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/index.html

If you're arriving on Boxing Day and want to stay for a week then that's New Year Week... I wouldn't try and wait and keep all options open. If you want New Year week you need to book it now! I just had a quick look on www.zillertal.at for accommodation for that week for you and it's already pretty limited. I didn't search too hard but it looked like a lot of the B&Bs that were available were in locations where you would need a car.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sagittarius100, Anywhere within Ski Amadé will be open that week.
You don't really have to worry too much abot snow conditions at the moment... what you do really, really, really need to worry about is accommodation!

It is German and Austrian tradition to start their holidays on the 25th December until the 2nd or 3rd Jan.... so I think you will find it hard to get accommodation by now.

Try the accommodation searches on www.skiamade.com and any of the local tourist board websites of where you think you are heading.

I think it may be worth you heading in either a Salzburg or Innsbruck direction to make sure that you have something quite close on offer for the ladies!

....but this might ring a few bells....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1156695&highlight=#1156695
or this....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1148443&highlight=#1148443

Good Luck !! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi folks many thanks for your speedy replies! Please keep them coming. We flew into Salzburg last year so I would be quietly confident of finding my way once we get that far. It's just with travelling to Munich this year I'm not familiar with travelling from that particular city. Last time we ended up in Schuttdorf just outside Zell am See and had a brilliant time. We stayed in low star accommodation and it was just perfect for us - I think we would have been content to spend three nights on a park bench!!! However, this time it's different as the ladies are coming (a general apologies to all ladies at this stage!) and I dont think that we'll get away with the same "facilities" this time around. Still, if we keep our options from Munich open until the last moment, we are bound to get somewhere...............are'nt we???????????
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sagittarius100,
I wouldn't bet on it, or you maybe far from the slopes..
that week(new year's) is the busiest of the season anywhere in the alps I believe...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its an easy drive from Munich to Salzburg (in good weather anyway)
If you have a hire car it would give you more options for places to stay
But as other have said its a peak week so don't leave things long to get booked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kitzbuhl - couple of hours in the car max

Nice pretty town - lots of window shopping for the ladies. Easy runs relative to their grading. Not sure about off-slope or accommodation as we were on a stag weekend, so the place we stayed was a flop house - but the bars/clubs were cracking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sagittarius100,
Quote:

Still, if we keep our options from Munich open until the last moment, we are bound to get somewhere...............are'nt we???????????

NO rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've done Munich to Austria a few times both by car and train. I think you need to be certain of your accommodation before you decide on your mode of transport as you may end up way out of the village and that won't be much good for having a craic..

If you have a car it will probably just sit there all week until the return journey, so I personally would prefer the train as its more relaxing and no hassle with traffic or weather problems.

I know you'd like to go somewhere high but that usually means a small village with no retail therapy available so I suggest trying somewhere along the train line which runs from Westendorf to St Johann in Tyrol?
St Johann is a good choice, probably enough skiing and a day pass to kitzbuhel if you want more plus Kitzbuhel is a fabulous place to go window shopping - do not let them loose with a credit card, you may never see them again!

Kirchberg which is the other side of Kitzbuhel is a biggish village, not too expensive, plenty of pistes and again easy access to retail stuff.

Check out www.bahn.co.uk for all train travel in Austria & Germany
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey stop it guys.........you're scaring me!!! ( By the way I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has really got caught out (BIG TIME) as regards DIY-ing a skiing holiday. Anyone know of any real-life experiences? You know, I might just try to create another post on this subject. It should make for some interesting (and sobering) reading if anyone replies. Cheers.
S-100
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sagittarius100, Think you'd better get searching for places to stay now. Have a search on www.tiscover.com - Quite a lot of availability still for new year but it'll start to fill rapidly from here on in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll always get somewhere, how do you feel about staying in Munich airport all week and driving down each day......!!

Don't panic but just try get the balance of cost/closeness to lifts/luxury/resort size etc right.

Check out www.tiscover.com or www.skiamade.at on both of them you can put your travel dates in and it'll only show you free accommodation at that time to avoid emailing and waiting for replies which never respond quick enough?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sagittarius100, yes, I've been caught out a few times but that's the beauty of hiring a car. Tried to just turn up in St Anton once and ended up staying in Landeck for a few nights. I'm not saying you won't find anywhere at new year if you just turn up, but it's a helluva lot less stressful (esp with the others in tow) if you just book somewhere.
snow report
Drive to Kitz. I did last year. Very easy from Munich.
ski holidays
seeing as u are from the same dept ridden country as myself i would recommend driving from munich with a hire car if there are 4 of you traveling. you are probably using aerlingus if you are using munich so try hertz via the aerlingus web site 25-30% off.have been sking via munich for about 8 years and only once had trouble on the motorway and that was the only time and last ever time we traveled school break feb week. its an easy drive to ie mayrhofen which has the snow sure glacier 20 min away if snow is bad. would also recommend serfaus for great sking , check my previous posts for accom recomendation in serfaus. re the ladies shopping, stay in munich the last night of your holiday and let them have there fix that way or else leave them at home. if you go on a sking hol you ski + the prices in most ski resorts are mental.
snow conditions
A couple of years ago we had a knock on the door on the friday before the half term saturday..

A chap had dragged his family out from London to go skiing. Jumped on a flight... booked a car at the airport direct (all that left was an expensive volvo at about €1000) then went to Obertauern...
They hadn't booked any accommodation.

Decided that the kit they had was not good enough so bought a load of new gear in the morning... went skiing all day (son fell over and split his head open).. then decided to look for accommodation at about 5pm...

Needless to say Obertauern was sold out for the next week! They came down to Radstadt and went to the tourist info. As they were English the tourist info phoned us. We had a rooms and some bunks for that night only.

Bloke came rund and was totally oblivious to the fact that it was one of the busiest weeks of the year! I just felt sorry for his wife and family - is that a holiday?... I think he ended up staying very near Salzburg.

(still he got to use his nice car everyday!)
snow report
sagittarius100, as others have said it is a very busy week and you may end up staying a little 'out of town' from the main resorts.

I was once nearly caught out through no fault of my own. A couple of years ago we were in Kitz for Christmas week. The DH had an accident and was in hospital and it was touch and go as to whether we would be able to depart on our scheduled day. If we hadn't, there was nowhere in Kitz that I could have stayed whilst H was still in hospital, as it was new year week and everything had been bookde up for months. I couldn't even stay at our own place over in Zell as it too had been booked out for months, plus it would be a long schlep to go visit H in hospital in Kitz. Eventually the manager of the hotel I was staying in managed to find me a room in one of the nearby villages about 20 minutes away, it was a friend of his who doesn't normally rent out for holiday accommodation, but had a big house and offered to help. As it turns out H was discharged the afternoon before our flight home so I didn't need it in the end, but it was pretty sobering to think that through no fault of my own, I might actually have nowhere to sleep. So I wouldn't leave your 'options open' for too long, as you may end up having very limited options indeed!

Not trying to scare you, just being practical.

D
snow report
I'm also thinking of a trip from 27th Dec, but I don't seem to be having any luck with accommodation! I only need for 2 nights, and I was hoping to find something for under 100 euros, but everything is booked. Could anyone recommend a main town near a ski resort,, as I wouldn't mind commuting in (max 1 hour). I'm not fussy about which resort, although preferably one that's likely to have snow at that time of year.
snow report
munchimo, you will indeed struggle to get two nights in resort at that time of year, but you should be fine outside of a resort.

You could stay in Innsbruck or Salzburg cities themselves if you want more of a ski city break, and have skiing within well under an hour (especially Innsbruck). You could also try any of the smaller towns that are near to skiing. Examples might be:

Bischofshofen (for a lot of Ski Amade, plus Zell Am See etc.)
Schwarzach St Veit (as above)
Radstadt (for Schladming, Flachau etc.)
Mittersill (for back door access to Kitzbuhel's slopes
Landeck (for St Anton)

There are loads of other examples which I am sure other people will suggest. Of course thes aren't so much resorts so are a bit quieter in terms of apres ski etc. but still plenty going on, especially at that time of year.

Hope this helps
D
snow report
munchimo, Innsbruck is the obvious choice, because there are several ski resorts available on an area pass, with ski buses from central Innsbruck.
snow report
Never thought of Innsbruck, that's a good idea if I don't find anything closer. But only problem is it takes nearly 3 hours by train to get there from airport, so might try and find something a bit closer if possible!
ski holidays
Bonus of Innsbruck is that there's hotels right at the station, and if driving, then it's autobahn all the way, so a pretty good chance that the roads are clear. Then driving to places like Zillertal are flat as a pancake, no mountain roads as such, with shed loads of parking right by the lifts. Then there's bus or train to places like St.Anton, or train to Zillertal, or for the Innsbruck resort itself, I think it's just local bus (or tram?) transport. So it's very easy to mix/match (although ski rental/lessons become a bit more hassle).
snow conditions
munchimo wrote:
Never thought of Innsbruck, that's a good idea if I don't find anything closer. But only problem is it takes nearly 3 hours by train to get there from airport, so might try and find something a bit closer if possible!

You didn't tell us you already had the flight sorted, and to a different airport!

Unfortunately, there aren't all that many non TO flights from the UK to Innsbruck airport (which is 10 minutes from the city centre). Although EasyJet do fly there, they don't have Saturday flights except from Gatwick.
ski holidays
If you're flying into Munich, you could do worse than stay in Woergl (should be 'o' with an umlaut). It is the first main railway junction after crossing from Bavaria into Austria, and is less than an hour's 'commute' to Kitzbuehel and Zillertal resorts for skiing. Again, it's not a resort in itself, but is apparently quite a nice town. How much time you will save on the 3 hour transfer to Innsbruck I'm not sure.

D
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy