Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

half term or easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm new here so hello to everyone. I am organising a holiday for 4 adults all beginners, 1 teacher therefore I have been looking at half term, only problem the price! We went to Kitzbuhl last year it was busy but we still enjoyed it.

This time looking at the possibly of going at easter instead, based on prices.

I am worried about the snow conditions? Should I be? Easter is around 4th April next year. I have been looking at les menuires, les arcs and la plagne.

Any advice would be much apreciated.[/i]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevlewins, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I'd go for Easter. Much quieter, and cheaper, and nicer weather. Those places should be OK but people who know them better will probably be along soon. I've skied in a lower area in each of the last 7 years in April, and had a good time. Different sort of experience - but great.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevlewins, I always took my son at half term until the season before last when we went at Easter, because my step son got married on the half term weekend. First Easter trip was one week in Wengen followed by a week in Zermatt. Cool Last year we did a week in Meribel which allowed me to stay for the EOSB a week later and that was later in April. You can get some great conditions at Easter and there are some bargains to be had.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, definetly open to other beginner resorts. Is there a rule of thumb for what the min snow depth is for decent skiing?

Is pre booking usually better for easter or waiting for last minute to get resorts with good snow falls the best option?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevlewins wrote:
Thanks for the replies, definetly open to other beginner resorts. Is there a rule of thumb for what the min snow depth is for decent skiing?

Is pre booking usually better for easter or waiting for last minute to get resorts with good snow falls the best option?

Late booking is an option for Easter as opposed to half term, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting something booked in advance, unless you are set on a particular resort.

The minimum snow depth depends on the terrain, as resorts with Alpine meadows on the lower slopes need far less snow cover for skiing than rocky terrain, which is why some of the Austrian resorts can benefit in poor snow conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevlewins, This year I would say book late for Easter. With the crisis etc there will be a lot of us doing deals when we have a room or two still available. You should be able to get a good deal and have the pistes to yourselves Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Is there a rule of thumb for what the min snow depth is for decent skiing?

As geepee says, pasture type land needs very little, so lower altitude resorts (whatever country they're in) can be excellent with very little snow. The other important point is that if you are with an instructor, h/she will be best placed to find snow for you, and making the best of whatever's available.

As beginners (or not quite, now, if you had a week last year) I'd suggest going somewhere with really good tuition available. Morzine for example, where DallyPaul is. Book late, as suggested. If it's a very warm spring Tignes is a high resort and, again, with excellent tuition available. Les Deux Alpes is another possibility with high slopes which will still have snow even if it's a warm spring - with the added attraction of snowhead easiski who is a great instructor. Have a look at easiski.com. At your stage (indeed at lots of other stages too) quality of instruction is a key factor. Large group lessons with someone with less than perfect English might be fun, but you won't necessarily learn a great deal. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I prefer Easter to Febuary, resorts generally are less crowded. On the other hand many ski areas will have at least some of their lower and south facing slopes closed or dificult to ski, you have to be far more conscious of where the sun is in relation to where you want to ski.
Resorts like les arcs La Plagne and Les Menuires do still attract large numbers of visitors at Easter( Paticularly the week before Easter Sunday,the second week is ususally much quieter), some of the advantages of Eater skiing are lost IMO you are often better off going to a smaller resort. You do need siome altitude and importantly north facing slopes though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies, I have now switched my search efforts to looking at easter. I think we will pre book though as there are some preffered resorts I am looking at.

In the mean time we are going to be visiting castleford a lot and looking at going up to the edinburgh dry ski slope as its seems to be quite long. Has anyone been there before?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally we get the best snow in March and Easter - it is also generally warmer also so the choice is likely cooler conditions against more chance of fresh snow in warmer temps. End of season over here in Tirol is almost always great, nobody left on the slopes and often some great powder skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy