Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FreeRide / All Mountain Skis for the tall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,
I am looking at buying my first set of skis, I’ve been skiing for over 20weeks in all. I am happy on all runs and can ski reasonably off-piste providing it’s not too steep and deep and tree lined, but that definitely the area I want to improve in .

The last couple of trips I’ve managed to rent some twin-tips which I’ve really enjoyed and have taken my first faltering steps in the world of switch.
My problem with finding skis and renting them is that I am 6ft 5 in tall (196cm) and about 16st (102kg) and the skis I’ve used have felt rather short, especially when off-piste as the twin tips seem to put you more in the middle of the skis.

Basically I’m after some advice as to what manufactures or model of skis would be suitable for 50/50 piste to off-piste mix. Specifically the length of skis that would be suitable?
Would 185 be ok or would 191cm still be too short? I am struggling to find models much longer than this that aren’t big mountain models and won’t be suitable for piste.

I know it’s a hard question to answer but if anyone has any advice or help it would be very much appreciated

Am happy to supply more info if required.
Thanks

Jimbo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads ...

Volkl Mantra 191 cm
Atomic Snoop Daddy 192 cm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
Welcome to snowheads ...

Volkl Mantra 191 cm
Atomic Snoop Daddy 192 cm

Thanks very much, will have a look at those models

Jimbo
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott Punisher 192 or 191 can't remeber which great all round TT, I'm similar size to you and ride the shorter 182 and love it.

Also Mantra, Line Prohpet 90 186 some cheapish Liberty Hazmats knocking about on ebay
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have been leaning towards the Punishers for 3 seasons now they seem to come in 191 too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis definitely still seem to be getting shorter. Rossignol and head both seem to have stopped doing longer sizes.

Movement Source 193cm
Dynastar Mythic Rider 189cm

You might get luck with older skis as no one normally wants the long sizes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimbo, not sure of the biggest size of the Punishers but agree that you should be looking at 190-ish in a TT

For example..

This ski might be to much of a handful for your level but your weight will help
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56060

or this ..which might be more suitable..

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56106

or these babies..

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54436

Failing that, see if Noblecustom have any 191/193 Old stock Gladiators..

They have the 2007 which have never been mounted or skied..make them an offer..

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/offerlistsep10.htm

£200 should do it...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all who replied.
am having a look around at some of these options that'd I'd not considered before which his great.
Does anyone know a supplier of the Atomic Snoop Daddy model can't spot them in the normal on-line stores I use?

thanks again

Jimbo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snoop daddy
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_320_322&products_id=7198

Another suggestion ....
Head Mojo 94 @ 187cm
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unfortunately I've sold my 189 Seths which would seem to have met your specs. As JT says hard to go wrong with Movements or a bit of a plug for a helpful guy , pm kiwi 1 and see what he thinks abouit getting you on a 189 Preacher (though this would be wider than a piste focused ski).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy